• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Today...today is the day my friends.

Damn it, I keep coming over here every hour or so to see if there's been any resolution. Come on, Wellman. Fucking do SOMETHING!. There are only two choices- extend him or end him.

End him. Now.

I know right. I open this forum several times a day just hoping I see the much awaited "HE GONE" thread.

Periodically monitoring WSJ...any news will probably break on their site first.

I fear it's not gonna happen til Monday or Tuesday.

501 -

I'd still be worried if Wake hires one. It indicates the search has no real direction.

KidA23 has it right....

Also I should add that the term 'search' firm is a bit of a misnomer, at least in the case of Ron Wellman (who probably already has the 'who' made up in his mind). We wouldn't necessarily need to use them to show us where the coaches are, but to give additional information on the coach's background, family situation, financial desires, personal preferences, etc. It's also likely that someone from one of these firms can contact an agent or representative for the coach to gauge interest in a particular program, thus relieving the program's AD from having to do it themselves.

Wellman gives them 5-6 names to investigate and the firm gets back to Wellman with the info.

501 -

KidA23 has it right....

Wellman gives them 5-6 names to investigate and the firm gets back to Wellman with the info.

If that's how it goes down, that's a different scenario than what I'm talking about. I'm worried about the search itself being turned over to a search firm or committee to find names.

At least one person on the WF BOT founded an executive search firm. I'm certain with WF's resources we COULD do just about anything we want... short of getting rid of [Redacted] and Wellman.

Dave Odom is also at a company that acts as coaching search firms, I believe.

If that's how it goes down, that's a different scenario than what I'm talking about. I'm worried about the search itself being turned over to a search firm or committee to find names.

It would go down mostly like this. They may also add 2-3 similar names with similar info, but it's not like an AD using them is just drifting in the wind hoping they cone back with something good. They are typically very good facilitators for an AD or a company and earn the high prices they charge.

Unless I am mistaken, Skip came because of Swofford, so don't discount the recommendations of Conference personnel. They can make inquiries and contacts on behalf of a school.

Andy Heckler ‏@aheck913 2m
@BloggerSoDear pretty positive I just saw Ron Wellman walking around campus

Parker Harris ‏@bigP_harris 1m
@BloggerSoDear I can definitely confirm I saw King Ron back on campus

Last edited:
Andy Heckler ‏@aheck913 2m
@BloggerSoDear pretty positive I just saw Ron Wellman walking around campus

pretty positive - what does that mean? You either saw him or you didn't. This radio silence is killing me.

Anyone let Dan Collins know yet? Perhaps he could get a statement.

Also I should add that the term 'search' firm is a bit of a misnomer, at least in the case of Ron Wellman (who probably already has the 'who' made up in his mind). We wouldn't necessarily need to use them to show us where the coaches are, but to give additional information on the coach's background, family situation, financial desires, personal preferences, etc. It's also likely that someone from one of these firms can contact an agent or representative for the coach to gauge interest in a particular program, thus relieving the program's AD from having to do it themselves.

At this level, my sense is this is true. A search firm would do more searching for an Olympics sports hire or for a low-major hoops hire. Wake's list should be obvious. We need a search committee more than a search firm, but I'd take a firm over Wellman working solo.

If Ron uses a search firm, it will be the first time. Wake is one of the last schools around not to use one. The benefit as I understand is the search firm can reach out to a coaches representative at any time and get a feel for where the coach is at. An AD would usually have to get permission ethically to not burn bridges and would have to wait until the tournament is over. So I would definitely hire a search firm if I was Wellman. It also prevents the embarassment of leaks. The whole world knew Ron was interviewing Pete Lembo. Search firms manage the process and keep it quiet.

At this level, my sense is this is true. A search firm would do more searching for an Olympics sports hire or for a low-major hoops hire. Wake's list should be obvious. We need a search committee more than a search firm, but I'd take a firm over Wellman working solo.

If a search firm is brought in to do anything besides provide research about particular candidates, we're fucked. I promise. We'll end up with John Pelphrey.

Wellman is going to let everyone who has disagreed with him suffer until he makes a statement.

The biggest douchebag in Wake history is determined to set a standard of douchebaggery that can never be challenged. And it doesn't annoy him that we disagreed with him (at the time of the hire, for not firing Jeffy last March, whatever), it's that we were right. And he was wrong. But he has the power and we don't so he can punish us by making us wait (or even, if he is particularly spiteful, which he probably is) keeping Jeffy-poo for another year or two.

Back