• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Totally Unofficial 2017/18 Premier League Thread (NWT)

OK, fine, but what does that have to do with Old Trafford?

I would suggest more bandwagon Liverpool fans than MUFC fans here based on evidence of posters, btw. And you just like teams with American players. Bandwagon in its own right.
Does Everton have a single American player?

I await your response.

OK, fine, but what does that have to do with Old Trafford?

I would suggest more bandwagon Liverpool fans than MUFC fans here based on evidence of posters, btw. And you just like teams with American players. Bandwagon in its own right.

If posting about your favorite British soccer team on a college sports forum makes you a bigger fan, then you must be the god damn president of the United fan club...

It's been a bad few months for LFC. Would you expect an uptick in activity? Or now must we prove our un-bandwagon-ness by muddying the waters here with depressing posts and needless complaining?

I'm just salty that your misplaced, outdated arrogance regarding United now seems to have more validity after they (apparently, didn't watch) beat up the mighty West Ham.

Reactions: ONW
Running errands? GZ on smashing a bad side at home! WOOP WOOP.

To be fair, it's the first time you guys have done something like that in about 5 years, so I get the excitement.

Won the league 4 years ago. You guys finished 2nd last year tho, so about even. Congrats.

Does Everton have a single American player?

I await your response.

They did when you decided to join them. Don't pretend like Timmy being there wasn't the precipice for you allegiance, siff. Come on. Be honest.

Good weekend for Spurs, United, City ... all 3 with comfortable, easy wins you like to see from contenders.

Not sure that Lukaku is going to score many more goals than Ibrahimovic did. The bigger problem at United last year wasn't the striker, it was the attackers behind the striker who didn't chip in with goals. It's the same group this year, so if you think United are going to add the 25-30 goals they will need to be near the top, you are predicting that group is going to add those. I just don't see it. I can see United getting 10-15 of those goals and being in the top 4 comfortably, but I don't see those 25-30 you will need to compete for the title.

And from what we saw last season - having the best GK in the league turns 1-2 losses into 1-1 draws :plos:

Just to add to that - here's last seasons goal totals:

Tottenham - 86
Chelsea - 85
Man. City - 80
Liverpool - 78
Arsenal - 77
United - 54

United has to find 25 more goals, minimum. And it's not like that was a one off problem ... 15/16 United scored 49 goals. In 14/15 it was 62. In 13/14 it was 64. The reality is that the attackers currently at the club don't score goals, and haven't scored them in the past either. It's the worst attack of the top 6, and by a pretty substantial margin. Replacing Ibrahimovic with Lukaku improves it a little bit maybe, but United needs a lot more than a little bit. They need a massive improvement, and I just don't see where it's magically going to come from.

It's a title contending team in every area but the attack. They just won't score enough goals to keep up. I'll give them, generously, 70 goals this season. That gets them 3rd/4th with a stingy defense, but no higher.

He's never scored double digit league goals in his career (8 is his highest). Mkhi has done it once outside of Ukraine (11 in 15-16 for Dortmund). There aren't a lot of prolific goal scorers anywhere in the team other than Lukaku. There's no Alli/Son or Hazard/Pedro or Mane/Salah/Firmino or Silva/KDB/Sane ... and there's where the lack of goals comes from.

Now contenders. Nice.

Won the league 4 years ago. You guys finished 2nd last year tho, so about even. Congrats.

You finished 7th 4 years ago ^^ (won the league in 2012-2013, it's now the 2017-2018 season).

United are going to be good this year, and I said Matic was a fantastic signing - he is the kind of guy that Mourinho has to have in his teams. Still don't think there's enough goals in the squad to win the league, and still think City are just a class above everyone else. Spurs/United should both easily qualify for CL though.

If posting about your favorite British soccer team on a college sports forum makes you a bigger fan, then you must be the god damn president of the United fan club...

It's been a bad few months for LFC. Would you expect an uptick in activity? Or now must we prove our un-bandwagon-ness by muddying the waters here with depressing posts and needless complaining?

I'm just salty that your misplaced, outdated arrogance regarding United now seems to have more validity after they (apparently, didn't watch) beat up the mighty West Ham.

LOL. Salty. So salty.

You finished 7th 4 years ago ^^ (won the league in 2012-2013, it's now the 2017-2018 season).

United are going to be good this year, and I said Matic was a fantastic signing - he is the kind of guy that Mourinho has to have in his teams. Still don't think there's enough goals in the squad to win the league, and still think City are just a class above everyone else. Spurs/United should both easily qualify for CL though.

2012/13 United were PL Champions. 4 years ago.

They did when you decided to join them. Don't pretend like Timmy being there wasn't the precipice for you allegiance, siff. Come on. Be honest.
Not really. Honestly. If that's the metric, Fulham would have been my choice. Following a side because if a keeper? You're better than that.

Also Jordan Pickford, average goalkeeper, has had a higher match rating than David de Gea every week he has started in the premier league except for three.

His stoppage time save yesterday was pretty average too.

its going to be a long year

Hell yes it is! Once Arsenal sell Ox, Ozil, Wilshere, Sanchez, Perez, Chambers, Gibbs, and the kitchen sink, we'll be solidly positioned for 5th place again....ugh...football

Also Jordan Pickford, average goalkeeper, has had a higher match rating than David de Gea every week he has started in the premier league except for three.

His stoppage time save yesterday was pretty average too.

GKs that make saves are going to score better than those that are behind more reliable defenses.

Gun to your head before a match... your side needs to win for you to live. Same 10 field players. Who do you want in the net? David de Gea or Jordan Pickford? Are we seriously pretending Pickford is even a top 8 GK in the Prem? Come on....

I think Pickford is clearly a top 8 GK in the PL. De Gea and Lloris are the only 2 I'd say are definitively better than him.

De Gea is the answer to the first question

Yes is the answer to the second

Top five shot stopper

Best distributor

Good command of box

He really doesn't have weaknesses except discipline...he often tries to start the break too quickly when the defense has been under pressure for a long time when holding the ball would be best

Do think you're quite off about him

Two of the biggest moments in the Spanish Super Cup involved flashy attackers diving.

I for one, am shocked. Also Pique is past it. Every RM highlight is him getting roasted.

De Gea, Lloris and Courtois are the only keepers definitely better than Pickford.

Cristiano's second yellow was a little harsh, seemed like he lost his balance at full speed with a bit of contact from Umtiti. Crazy to shove the ref though

Back