• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Totally Unofficial Soccer Transfer Thread (NWT)

It's transfer deadline day! Leicester set to spend at least 65m GBP on Slimani and Silva after triggering Silva's release clause.

Manchester City defender Eliaquim Mangala is having a medical at Valencia.

City signed the defender for £32m two years ago.

ISCO NOT HEADING TO SPURS

There were rumours linking Isco with Tottenham, but we understand that move will not be happening.

Some more news from Arsenal and they are not expecting to bring in any players today.

Wilshere and Gnabry look set to leave but Mathieu Debuchy and Chuba Akpom are poised to stay and fight for first-team football.

Sky sources understand Swansea are considering a loan deal for West Ham striker Enner Valencia.

Valencia is out of favour at the London Stadium and the Hammers are keen to send him out on loan.

Bony officially a potter for the year

It's transfer deadline day! Leicester set to spend at least 65m GBP on Slimani and Silva after triggering Silva's release clause.

Everyone laughed last year when I pointed out Leicester's owners have extremely deep pockets and are willing to dip into them for their sporting investments and would likely spend heavily in the summer to keep Liecester contending for CL spots.

That's now over 80m GBP they've pumped into the squad this window alone, and it doesn't seem like they were negotiating much - just hitting release clauses and throwing the cash down.

3 of the gems of Tottenham's academy in recent years have all been sold this window - Alex Pritchard to Norwich for 8m GBP, Nabil Bentaleb to Schalke 04 for 17m GBP and now Ryan Mason to Hull for 13m GBP. With Townsend gone in the January window for 16m GBP ... Spurs have raised over 50m GBP this calendar year from just youth products.

Doubt much of it gets spent on anything other than the stadium though. I expect tomorrow to be pretty quiet for Spurs, unless it's something cheap and out of the blue like the rumored possible loan move for Isco.

Didn't Bentaleb just go to Schalke on loan?

Everyone laughed last year when I pointed out Leicester's owners have extremely deep pockets and are willing to dip into them for their sporting investments and would likely spend heavily in the summer to keep Liecester contending for CL spots.

That's now over 80m GBP they've pumped into the squad this window alone, and it doesn't seem like they were negotiating much - just hitting release clauses and throwing the cash down.

They definitely have deep pockets, and they knew they needed to invest some money this year. We didn't have enough depth to compete in all of the games we'll be in this year. They have however been negotiating quite a bit.

We have been after Musa since last year and had numerous offers rebuffed by CSKA. We had identified a player we wanted and finally got the deal over the line (not for all the money they held out for though). As for Slimani, we have bids for him going back to last summer and we were linked with him before that even. We've been going after him for ages, but Sporting's chairman is pretty shrewd and wouldn't sell for less than he wanted. I haven't heard as much about long term interest in Silva. Their chairman basically stated that he wouldn't go for anything other than his release clause, which is understandable for their captain who has been with the club 16 years this close to the deadline.

Sounds like Mamadou Sakho has rejected any loan move (kind of wish PSG would come back in for him if they're moving David Luiz) and will stay at Liverpool and try to force his way back in. This is a story from a couple of years ago, right before he was about to join Liverpool, that offers insights on how he became expendable at PSG the first time. Some of these issues seem to still be there, which is discouraging.

http://www.espnfc.us/club/paris-sai...1852629/sakho-exit-from-psg-a-complicated-one

Looks like we'll sign Arbeloa on a year-contract. Fans are pissed, as they have become very spoiled and think we need world-class players at two-deep, but I think it will be an excellent signing as a mentor to our young, promising right back of the future (who I rate highly but will be suspended a lot this year for card accumulation), Byram. Plus, despite his age (33 or 34?), he's a world cup and Champions League winner. I'll take that experience. On a free, by the way.

Plus, that means Antonio will never have to set foot in the RB position again!

Back