• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Trump Will Win the Nomination

Most of the people on this board are too young to remember the election of 1968, but the Democratic Party then was in much the same shape that the Republican Party is today as far as being hopelessly divided. Anti-war insurgent Democrats led by Gene McCarthy & Robert Kennedy had already driven a sitting Democratic president out of office. A president who had just won a massive landslide with more than 60% of the vote just four years earlier. That, in itself, was unprecedented. Then Kennedy was assassinated and the power brokers strong-armed Humphrey...who had not run in a single primary...to the nomination. To top it off, Kennedy & McCarthy supporters were beaten in the streets of Chicago at the Democratic Convention.

There were massive numbers of Democrats who swore they would never vote for Humphrey. A month before the election, Nixon had a 15-point lead in the polls. In the closing weeks of the campaign, though, as those Democrats considered the possibility of a President Nixon, they slowly & grudgingly "came home". Nixon still pulled out a victory, but this was the final popular vote total:

Richard Nixon Spiro Agnew Republican........ 31,783,783 43.42%
Hubert Humphrey Edmund Muskie Democratic........ 31,271,839 42.72%
George Wallace Curtis LeMay American Ind........ 9,901,118 13.53%

15 points down at the beginning of October, Humphrey lost the popular vote by only 0.7%. Nixon proved to be the Great Unifier for the embittered Democratic Party. Hillary has the potential to be no less so this November. Sure, she seems to have everything going for her right now....but after what has already happened in the last six months, it would be foolhardy to think that there could not be more surprises in the next six months.

This is a ludicrous comparison as there was a viable thrid party candidate who took southern votes from Humphrey. You cant' compare 68 to today.

I actually like Jim Webb, though I don't always agree with him. He was certainly a drastic improvement over Jethro Allen. But he brings nothing as a veep candidate for either party. Like Trump, he's on his 3rd marriage, and I wouldn't be astonished if he had a skeleton in his closet. If Trump chose Webb, it would just alienate even more Pubs, and it wouldn't attract many Dems. Webb doesn't move national needles.

I think he needs a female. I know Haley and Martinez would say no. How about the OK gov? I know little about her.

I think he needs a female. I know Haley and Martinez would say no. How about the OK gov? I know little about her.

Agree that a female VP would be ideal for Trump, but a Senator works better than a Governor for him unless he and Ryan make peace. Tea Party didn't come close to blocking Ryan for Speaker. Trump doesn't get to 270 without WI. Ryan didn't deliver WI with Mitt, but Walker gift wrapped WI for Cruz. Needs a truce with Ryan/Walker electorally and legislatively.

Ayotte and Murkowski are up for re-election and won't drop out to become Trump's VP nominee. That leaves Fischer, Ernst, Capito, and Collins. The first three or Fallin would be Trump's best bets unless Martinez or Haley have a dramatic change of heart.

Fisher from Nebraska would be a sane pick were she to accept, but she doesn't move the needle at all. Erst & Capito are insane tea baggers and Collins is far to intelligent to get mixed up with Trump. Not sure where he turns. If I had to bet I think Fallin gets the call but it's still way too early.

Still don't think Pubs can take WI no matter what this crew have in mind.

After Every Airline Refused To Fly This Dying Boy, Donald Trump Stepped In And Did THIS
While most political candidates would spend entire speeches bragging about helping out a family in need like this, somehow nobody knows about Trumps actions to help save this little boy. That’s because instead of talking himself up, Trump is talking about the issues – and that’s really what politics are all about.
Every single commercial airline they contacted refused to sell the family tickets due to Andrew’s oxygen tank, suction machine, adrenaline syringe and other necessary medical equipment to sustain his life.

The Ten’s decided that they really needed a miracle, so they contacted Donald Trump and told him of their story. Once the real estate mogul got word of their desperate tale, he sent his plane over immediately to get this child the care he needs.

“Donald Trump is a miracle, just a miracle,” said Feigy Ten, Andrew’s grandmother. “Mr. Trump did not hesitate when we called him up. He said, ‘Yes, I’ll send my plane right out,” Andrew’s father Harold added.
http://americanoverlook.com/after-every-airline-refused-to-fly-this-dying-boy-donald-trump-stepped-in-and-did-this/63656

2F4E568E00000578-0-image-a-15_1449928224384.md.jpg

Bernie and Hillary need to make a deal. Hillary and her people will stop pressuring Bernie to drop out and Bernie will turn his focus solely to Trump.

Fisher from Nebraska would be a sane pick were she to accept, but she doesn't move the needle at all. Erst & Capito are insane tea baggers and Collins is far to intelligent to get mixed up with Trump. Not sure where he turns. If I had to bet I think Fallin gets the call but it's still way too early.

Fischer & Ernst were both endorsed by Palin. Capito's dad was WV Governor, but later went to the slammer. To have a shot, Trump needs major improvement with women and needs to win multiple Midwest blue/purple states (OH, MI, WI, IA). He'll be totally schlonged if he needs help/has to spend major resources in OK, WV, and NE.

Speaking of spending resources in bad places there was an early poll out of GA last night showing Trump up in GA by 1 point with 15% being undecided. Not good news in a state held by Pubs for decades. Had mother's day dinner with the in-laws last night and they are as conservative as you get. They both said they would just stay home and not touch Trump in a million years.

Trump can tweet his brains out from now until the election but a zebra can't change his stripes. GOP will just have to eat a bullet on this one and bone up for 2020 if there is anything left by then.

Speaking of spending resources in bad places there was an early poll out of GA last night showing Trump up in GA by 1 point with 15% being undecided. Not good news in a state held by Pubs for decades. Had mother's day dinner with the in-laws last night and they are as conservative as you get. They both said they would just stay home and not touch Trump in a million years.

Trump can tweet his brains out from now until the election but a zebra can't change his stripes. GOP will just have to eat a bullet on this one and bone up for 2020 if there is anything left by then.

Talking about Hillary carrying Georgia or Utah is as crazy as I would be talking about Trump carrying New York or New Jersey.

Do black voters in Georgia get to vote twice this year?....because they have all voted Democratic in every election forever, and they're never going to get a bigger black turnout than they did for Obama...and he still couldn't carry the state.

Last edited:
Trump won't (can't?) write a check/loan his campaign $1B so he'll have to kiss some major GOP donor ass and will still be outspent by HRC. She doesn't need/won't get GA, AZ, UT, KY, WV, AR to win, but will make it worse for Trump if he has to expend any resources in those states which could be better spent in FL, OH, VA, or PA.

Talking about Hillary carrying Georgia or Utah is as crazy as I would be talking about Trump carrying New York or New Jersey.

Do black voters in Georgia get to vote twice this year?....because they have all voted Democratic in every election forever, and they're never going to get a bigger black turnout than they did for Obama...and he still couldn't carry the state.

That's because bfk's irrational hatred of Hillary makes believe only blacks will vote for her. But Trump does have the black pimp vote locked up. The Donald regularly attacks bitches for not doing what he tells them to do.

Last edited:
Trump isn't going to lose money on this and he isn't going kiss ass either. He will make deals. He will definitely get outspent.

Jake Tapper's CNN show today was astonishing. Palin was the lead guest and she boasted that Ryan's political career is over (finally something she does know something about) and that Ryan wouldn't even win his own GOP House primary. After Cantor, no way Ryan screws around with an unknown primary opponent. Palin was stoked she didn't get booed in WI (where Trump sent her as a proxy since he didn't want to get booed there), but she's calling her shot in a primary there. Said she'd be a distraction as Trump's VP.

Jan Brewer was a panelist and was pissed she wasn't one of the ten potential Trump VPs mentioned. Brewer chimed in she would be all over being Trump's VP. Three female potential VPs (Fallin, Ernst, Condi Rice) were mentioned.

Had a segment on Trump going after Bubba and one of the panelists was Amanda Carpenter, one of Cruz's alleged slams.

Trump won't (can't?) write a check/loan his campaign $1B so he'll have to kiss some major GOP donor ass and will still be outspent by HRC. She doesn't need/won't get GA, AZ, UT, KY, WV, AR to win, but will make it worse for Trump if he has to expend any resources in those states which could be better spent in FL, OH, VA, or PA.

Hillary can and may win AZ. With a tight senate race there, I see Dems spending a lot there. Also a bit in GA, which is inching closer to being in play. But I don't see her spending any time and $$ in white Appalachia. KY & WV will be yuge for Trump.

Hadn't heard Condi mentioned before. I think that could be a good pick for him. On the down side she was mixed up with Bush/Cheney. On the plus side she always comes across as serious and intelligent and would help to smooth things over with much of the establishment.

There's no way Condi would risk such damage to her rep.

Back