• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

usic Thread

Top Ten Kayne (max two rule applies)

All Falls Down
Slow Jamz
Touch the Sky
Hey Mama
Good Life
Flashing Lights
All of the Lights
Runaway
Waves
FML

I can't make my list right now at work, but I can say that me and Townie are like polar opposite Kanye fans. He liked underground backpack soul sampling Kanye, I like brash self obsessed new wave sampling Kanye.

Sent from my SM-N930T using Tapatalk

Or put another way I liked him when he was trying really hard but it didn't sound like it and you like it when he's trying really hard and it sounds like it.

Or put another way I liked him when he was trying really hard but it didn't sound like it and you like it when he's trying really hard and it sounds like it.
Meh. When Kanye debuted he sounded like a good late 90's New York boom bap rapper - a self deprecating AZ. At the time of Kanye's debut Cam'ron was probably the most interesting mainstream rapper in the game. As Kanye matured and gained confidence he created his own lane. I don't think he fully came into his own until Graduation. When he started thinking of himself as artist is when he became part of the zeitgiest.

What on College Dropout sounds anything like 90s New York hip hop? Maybe Never Let Me Down or Two Words.

Unless you're referring to the New York sound that Kanye helped create, that's nothing like Biggie-era stuff. He produced two of the best tracks on Purple Haze, the best stuff on Blueprint, some of Talib's and Mos's most lasting tracks.

Not all soul samples are the same. It's not like you heard a Kanye track and you were like "is that Kanye or Large Professor?"

Yeah, Kanyes production was heavily influential in rap music at the time, and his own albums production sounded a lot like others for that same reason. Its probably accurate to say that I think all rap music is more interesting now than it was then, not just Kanye - but I think Kanye himself has a lot to do with that. I was a lot more invested in that single genre back then, but I would make production comparisons with Jurrasic 5 Power in Numbers, or Aziatic by AZ. The song " Invincible" by Capone & Noreaga also comes to mind.

Last edited:
Man, I had forgotten abt the Faint. Awesome indie synth rock band from the early aughts that was sort of the precursor to more famous acts like LCD and Holy Ghost, etc. New single.

get yrself together
shake shake shake shake shake shake shake

Was it ever worth it?
Was there all that much to gain?
Well, we knew we missed the boat
And we'd already missed the plane
We didn't read the invite
We just dance at our wake
All our favorites were playing
So we could shake, shake, shake, shake, shake

I love her Jackson Browne covers

Weird that you mention that as I just found out she and him were a thing for a brief period. Also, 3 minutes into this, Iggy says she taught him how to eat pussy.

Iggy is the guy in the t-shirt in this vid (which is awesome)

Nico%252B%252BPurple%252BLips.jpg

Anybody familiar with Tycho? Met one of their guys in Raleigh the other night and talked to him for a while about how he got into music, etc... Hadn't heard of them before, but they seem pretty cool. Spacey kind of instrumental stuff. They're in Dallas tomorrow and I may go check them out.

I don't really know them all that well, but was thinking of going to that show. I'm kind of broke and need to pick my spots, though -- I'll end up eating tickets to bands I love half the time. But they've been on my radar for a while, so maybe I need to dive in. Report back if you go.

Anybody familiar with Tycho? Met one of their guys in Raleigh the other night and talked to him for a while about how he got into music, etc... Hadn't heard of them before, but they seem pretty cool. Spacey kind of instrumental stuff. They're in Dallas tomorrow and I may go check them out.

I enjoyed their show in Denver. It was mellow. Great hiking and skiing music.

Saw them at Cat's Cradle - I was literally right next to the speaker and it kinda ruined the show. Even though they're downtempo/IDM they play a loud set so don't be surprised, I guess.

Back