• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest #1 NBA Factory

I would pay top dollar to watch a team full of Gortat clones.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Win shares has some value as a metric. But there's a reason it's become obsolete in baseball and it hasn't gained acceptance for the NBA (let alone college). You most certainly overuse it.

What's your preferred metric to measure a player's 1. overall performance and/or 2./overall contribution to team success?

My point was it seems pretty clear that Howard made the right decision (or at very least a reasonable decision). I don't think many thought Aminu would be as good as Howard. Howard stepped on campus with a more well-rounded offensive skill set than Aminu has even now.

As to your second point: It is not a debate. The debate isn't one about improvement, it's one about timing. Let's assume Aminu stayed 2 years and improved at the same rate (doubtful). His last two seasons (3.1 win shares 13.5 PER) would have been his first two seasons in the NBA. If he improved on that over the next two years he would stand to sign a larger second contract than whatever he will get paid next year.

The more likely scenario is that Aminu is at or nearing his peak as a basketball player. If that's the case then at least he got paid 12 million dollars for it. Go ask James Michael McAdoo if he regrets not going top 10 two years ago.

FWIW I'm not comparing Josh and Aminu as players. Josh was clearly superior. Merely highlighting their different situations (Aminu in a much better position after his sophomore year than Josh was) and pointing out that your assertion that Aminu hasn't improved in the NBA is wrong.

It's not about peaking as a basketball player when you're 19 versus when you're 23. It's about the flaws in your game being exposed the more you play and you not improving your skills to overcome them. No one thought Howard was going pro after his sophomore year. There is no debate on that issue. But the improvement in his game from his sophomore year to his senior year was impressive and what made him some serious coin in the NBA. Aminu was a much higher lever recruit coming in and performed pretty well. But the limitations to his game were becoming apparent. There were things he needed to work on - and extending his offensive range was at the top of the list. He didn't peak as a basketball player after his sophomore year though. Nor did McAdoo peak in his sophomore year. Market forces, increased observation, hype, opponent's adjustments all play a factor in how you do the longer you play the college game. But sure, from a $ perspective, sometimes you just want to cash out as fast as possible. The real money though is in your contract(s) after your rookie contract. Sticking in the league for a career is better than getting one contract and going bust.

god dammit, now we're going to have to read some more mdmh drivel

I saw John Wall and DeMarcus Cousins say hello to someone's grandmother one time. Ergo they are GOOD GUYS.

Yeah, I feel the same way everytime I hear a self righteous "good guy" glorifying LOWF opinion about Calipari or UK on this board, so cheers for different opinions!

Yeah, I feel the same way everytime I hear a self righteous "good guy" glorifying LOWF opinion about Calipari or UK on this board, so cheers for different opinions!

did he reveal the "tweak" yet or will he be too pissed to do it

He didn't have to sit. That was my point. We probably weren't going to win that game. We definitely weren't going to win with Aminu sitting for a long stretch in the first half.

IIRC, we were hanging in there until we took out AFA at which point we got throttled.

Our memories were correct.
http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=300790096

This was the inset from the ESPN recap.

[h=4]Big Loss[/h]
154.gif
Wake Forest was hanging tough with Kentucky and tied the score at 19. However when Al-Farouq Aminu committed his third foul with 11:39 to go in the half, he was sent to the bench and Wake's offense hit the skids.

First 8:21Last 11:39*
Points199
FG8-144-19
FG in paint6-104-15
Turnovers15
Pts marginTiedMinus 16
* Aminu committed third foul at 11:39 mark

Wake Forest, 1st Half offense

You keep Aminu in the game as long as he can possibly play in a game with that much of a talent disparity.

Steve Kerr said that he thought the only skill that was better developed in college than in the pros was post moves. He made the point that you just aren't going to get the game touches necessary to develop post moves in the pro's if you don't have them when you get there. That seems to ring true to me. Everything else, whether it be ball handling, shooting, or defensive concepts, can be practiced in the best possible conditions in the pros.

Aminu made the right decision. And while he has time to improve (not sold on Monty Williams or his staff in terms of player development), he most likely is what he is at this point. He will hopefully find his spot as a small-ball 4/ 2nd unit wing on a decent team and make good money over the next 5-7 years.

Winshare may be a perfectly valid stat but I have no idea how it is calculated and the number means nothing to me. PER makes sense to me since it is just a measure of how many useful stats you contribute to the team.

Winshare may be a perfectly valid stat but I have no idea how it is calculated and the number means nothing to me. PER makes sense to me since it is just a measure of how many useful stats you contribute to the team.

This is my approach to electrical engineering, as well. I DON'T GET IT = DOESN'T EXIST

Interesting strategy re: letting Aminu play until he fouls out (presumably 5 minutes left in the 1st half)

I thought "the tweak" was Kentucky's slowed offensive pace that started against Florida.

He said he implemented it before the SEC tournament

I think the "tweak" was he told them that they weren't going to get drafted as high as they thought so they better bust ass ;)

Would've had a better chance had Chas gone full troll on Cousins instead of half-troll. Gave him a wet willie or something

haha i know, no offense mdmh, but I just didn't like that UK team for some reason (had nothing to do with the 30 point beat down they gave Wake).i've had no problems with the Calipari coached teams since then .

Would've had a better chance had Chas gone full troll on Cousins instead of half-troll. Gave him a wet willie or something

Well he should have kept his mouth shut instead of telling everyone his plan. UK's army of sports psychologists prepared Boogie for the moment.

Also he should have nut tapped him.

Back