• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football / Military Bowl Thread

If we were 10-3 we'd be p-o'ed about playing a 6-6 team too

Because we have a miserable fucking fan base. I would like to be guaranteed to wax dat ass in an exhibition game all day everyday.

A 10 doesn't want to "wax dat ass" of a 6.

Because we have a miserable fucking fan base. I would like to be guaranteed to wax dat ass in an exhibition game all day everyday.

Same here. I don't want a good game against a good opponent. I want to play DeVry and beat the shit out of them.

Ouch. The sad thing is I think it will be worse unless they completely don't recover from losing their coach.

I apologize for not knowing the stat off the top of my head, but when a team has their HC leave before the Bowl Game to take another job, then that team wins more than they lose. I want to say that roughly they win 66% of the time, but it might be closer to 75%. The best way to explain it is the "Us vs. the World" mentality.

I made a post in the Bowl Thread about the possible AAC teams, and I wanted nothing to do with Temple or USF. Also, I live about 20 minutes from Philadelphia, so I have followed Temple going back to when Al Golden took over the team in 2006, and brought them back from the dead after being thrown out of The Big East because of "non-competitiveness ".

Temple is 8th in scoring defense allowing 17.2 ppg and 3rd in yards allowed allowing 276 yards per game. What's even more incredible is their defense is very well balanced, rushing ranked 23rd and passing ranked 2nd. A lot of the times, a team will have a great rushing offense so their pass defense gets exploited or vice versa, that isn't the case with Temple. Also, they are tied for 8th in forcing turnovers. Furthermore , they are scoring 32.8 ppg, which is above average scoring ranked 43rd. Finally, in their last 5 games they have only allowed 13, 0, 0, 10, and 10 points.

I hate to be a downer on this game, but after watching them shut down Navy's offense last weekend, something that rarely occurs outside of when they play Air Force. Obviously, the defense will have to keep them from scoring as well, but they will have to "act as our offense" because if our offense continues to use the same philosophy that they did for the majority of season they will be very ineffective. The only way I see us winning this game is something similar to the Indiana game when we created 5 turnovers, and if the defense doesn't score a TD we will need to have them to get the ball as close to the goal line as possible and convert as many of them into TDs.

Same here. I don't want a good game against a good opponent. I want to play DeVry and beat the shit out of them.

Im not sure if you're being sarcastic, but I'd rather play a "bad" team just to have a better chance to get a win, which would (1) end the season on a high note after finishing 1-5 and (2) give the team something positive to build on during the offseason.

I apologize for not knowing the stat off the top of my head, but when a team has their HC leave before the Bowl Game to take another job, then that team wins more than they lose. I want to say that roughly they win 66% of the time, but it might be closer to 75%. The best way to explain it is the "Us vs. the World" mentality.

Between 2005 and 2011, teams undergoing a coaching change were 16-15 (51.6%) in bowl games. Teams were a coach left for a better job had a better win percentage than those whose coaches were fired, but, as the article points out, that is likely because "teams whose coaches leave for better jobs are usually better than teams whose coaches had to leave because of disappointing results."

Link

Of the teams that played and beat Temple in the early aughts, I'd take Chris Ellis at TE, Josh Howard and Trent Strickland at WR, Eric Williams at DT, Darius Songaila at MLB, Justin Gray & Taron Downey at RB, and Jamal Levy at K. QB would be Chris Paul on lifts.

Josh Shoemaker was a pretty good QB in high school

Im not sure if you're being sarcastic, but I'd rather play a "bad" team just to have a better chance to get a win, which would (1) end the season on a high note after finishing 1-5 and (2) give the team something positive to build on during the offseason.

Not sarcastic at all. I'd rather beat the fighting engineers of DeVry by 50 than play a close game against an SEC opponent where we might lose.

Don't really get the shaming of Wake on the Temple message board. Looked at their schedule and their marquee wins are against Navy and USF.

Those are 2 really good wins. I literally would not want to be playing a fully manned Navy team in a bowl game when we could not beat a bad 6-5 Army team that has beaten 2 1AA teams to get bowl eligible [along with APR.] They did beat Temple in the first game of the season but a month later Army let Duke beat them 13-6. I just hope that Ruggiero comes up with a better offensive package so we can score some points! This is a bowl game and sometimes special game plans happen!

If we are going to mention Temple v. Wake basketball, the most obvious reference is Rodney Rogers destroying Temple in their building.

As for the bowl game, we'll need to score a lot to win. Not sure we know how to score a lot.

Between 2005 and 2011, teams undergoing a coaching change were 16-15 (51.6%) in bowl games. Teams were a coach left for a better job had a better win percentage than those whose coaches were fired, but, as the article points out, that is likely because "teams whose coaches leave for better jobs are usually better than teams whose coaches had to leave because of disappointing results."

Link

Sorry BamaDeac but this is exactly what I thought when I read your post.

Those are 2 really good wins. I literally would not want to be playing a fully manned Navy team in a bowl game when we could not beat a bad 6-5 Army team that has beaten 2 1AA teams to get bowl eligible [along with APR.] They did beat Temple in the first game of the season but a month later Army let Duke beat them 13-6. I just hope that Ruggiero comes up with a better offensive package so we can score some points! This is a bowl game and sometimes special game plans happen!

Temple's win over Navy win is not as impressive when you consider that Navy lost their QB (Will Worth) in the 1st quarter, and Navy also lost 3 (yes, 3 of their slotbacks) early in that game. So, Navy was playing with their 3rd string QB (Navy lost their #1 QB in game 1), and the 4th and 5th string slotbacks in that game. Navy also has a bunch of injuries on D.

I agree that Temple does have a good defense, but Navy was not the same team that had been so well heading into that game. Don't be surprised if Army breaks its long losing streak to Navy this weekend, as Navy is beaten up and tired (this Game #14 for Navy, and the Middies has not had an off week since September).

Last edited:
Back