• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Picked Last In Atlantic By Media

3-9 or 4-8 but we will improve significantly and beat someone late in the year we don't expect.

Pilch is right. We would've just canned Grobe after what truly would have been an abysmal season this year, at which point the job would be less attractive to candidates (and maybe Clawson wouldn't have been avail as well).

This season will be so, so much easier to deal with given the coaching change

Pilch is right. We would've just canned Grobe after what truly would have been an abysmal season this year, at which point the job would be less attractive to candidates (and maybe Clawson wouldn't have been avail as well).

This season will be so, so much easier to deal with given the coaching change

It was the perfect time for a change. Grobe got to leave with dignity and a legacy of what he accomplished not completely diminished, and we were able to get what I feel will prove to be a great hire. Maybe I'm jinxing things by saying this, but Dave Clawson just strikes me as the kind of guy that will succeed. This year may well prove to be a struggle, but I just don't see us not being successful under Dave Clawson in the long run.

It was the perfect time for a change. Grobe got to leave with dignity and a legacy of what he accomplished not completely diminished, and we were able to get what I feel will prove to be a great hire. Maybe I'm jinxing things by saying this, but Dave Clawson just strikes me as the kind of guy that will succeed. This year may well prove to be a struggle, but I just don't see us not being successful under Dave Clawson in the long run.

He's won everyone he has been, and everything we've seen from him indicates that he's going to be successful here, so I'd say your optimism is well justified.

Lobo and the option was the final straw.

Terrible coaching.

Coach Grobe retired two years ago and passed the reigns to Lobo. Who SUCKS!

That team last year was a very good team. The ULM and BC losses were absolutely ridiculous. That option bullshit is about as big a coaching fail as I have ever personally witnessed. Stupid stupid.

We had an excellent defensive line a rarity at Wake, lead by a freak and my favorite player of all time, Nikita. Also the d backs are upper echelon in the ACC.

We had a QB who was a solid passer and we run the option. Also rely on Camp so much to the point that there was no way he could hold up.

The coaching was absurdly stupid. The Miami game showed where that team was talent wise.

We should have won at least three more games and been in a bowl. That was a huge blunder and Grobe deserved to be fired and should have shut the fuck up after.

This team could not be as bad offensively as we were just based on coaching. I mean remember the Cuse game? Geez! Tanner was a basket case by the end of the year. The D- line is where we appear to have fallen off.... the lines are the key. We will have a true frosh starting at QB so could be some mistakes but at least we will be trying to actually put some points up.

I'll never forget how angry I was watching that BC game wondering what the hell we were doing and Danny Kanell expressing his disbelief that this was the offense we had decided to run.

The option was just terrible. What an awful idea.

I remember my phone blowing up as we were driving to the beach from non-Wake people. To a man, they were all baffled at what Wake was doing with the option.

I remember my phone blowing up as we were driving to the beach from non-Wake people. To a man, they were all baffled at what Wake was doing with the option.

Calling what we ran last season an option offense is being very kind.

I think a lot of head coaches, at least the ones that would've even let it get to the point to begin with, would've fired Lobo after a couple of games last year for coming up with the "option" crap we ran and putting it on the field.

I posted almost the exact same thing on a basketball thread re: Manning and new staff.

Even if we do end up last place in the Atlantic, which I don't personally think we will, I think there are a few things all fans would like to see improvement on that would make it ok to have a season with a terrible record. For me, I'd love to see some fire on the sidelines. I'd love to see some unexpected playcalling. I'd love to see the TEs getting some looks. I'd love to see our defense play something other than a bubble zone. I'd love to see fewer procedure penalties.

If we do those things, even if we're losing games, I'd call that improvement in year one.

I'll never forget how angry I was watching that BC game wondering what the hell we were doing and Danny Kanell expressing his disbelief that this was the offense we had decided to run.

Agreed. The white helmets looked terrible and the offense was even worse.

Back