• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WF Tennis (WS Open Starts Saturday)

Great hire which I applauded at the time and now. Mostly still pissed about name redacted and sticking with the corpse of Grobe for so long

The women's coach is horrid. He will be gone soon. The men's is the next jay vidovich

The women's coach brought in the #7 class this upcoming year. Don't think he is going anywhere.

The men and women have home doubleheaders this weekend. The men play #32 OK State at noon on Saturday and then Norfolk State at 5 PM Saturday. The men are 6-2 on the year with their only losses to #1 Oklahoma and #7 Duke.

The women play #14 Clemson on Sunday at noon and then East Carolina at 4:30 PM Sunday. The Wake women are 8-2 on the year and have moved up to #51 in the rankings.

Last edited:
The women's coach brought in the #7 class this upcoming year. Don't think he is going anywhere.

Unfortunately, he knows very little about tennis, the women don't like him. Wake Tennis is very easy to recruit. With a quality coach like the men's the women's could be elite. I would assume after his contract runs out they will get a quality coach to compete for National Championships.

The first computer rankings of the year are out, and the men have moved up to #12. Bogaerts is ranked 21, Rubin 53, and Ho 70. The women are #53, with Kimmy Guerin ranked #100.

Men ranked behind only Duke (4) and Virginia (11) in the ACC.

Next matches: @ #6 Texas, vs. #11 Virginia, vs. #15 TCU

BTTT. I encourage everyone to come out tomorrow afternoon at 4pm as Wake plays UVA at the Indoor Tennis Center. UVA is as dominant a program in all of ACC sports right now. They've won over 120 straight ACC matches. They are consistently in the final 4, and despite two early losses this year, both to Baylor, which has their computerized ranking at 12, they are easily one of the top 5 teams in the country. For Wake, we dropped from 12 to 20 this week despite losing a close, close 4-3 match, without Noah Rubin, to Texas, the #6 team in the country. This is easily the best team we've had, maybe ever, easily top 15 in the country once the rankings take shape. If everyone is injury free tomorrow, which is a big if (Rubin is currently nursing a bad hand/wrist and Max Kan has been banged up this year), we have a legitimate shot to break UVA's streak. We play TCU, another top 15 team, on Sunday.

The #20 men play three home matches this weekend: #12 UVA today at 4 PM, #13 TCU Sunday at noon, and NC A&T Sunday at 4 PM.

The #50 women play Sunday at VT at 3 PM.

I saw some attendance stats on itatennis.com yesterday. We are in the top 10 nationally so far! Let's keep it up this weekend. There is no reason men's tennis, with the facilities we have, the ATP tourney, and our current coaching staff, can't be the top 10-15 every single year. Unfortunately, we don't have many programs positioned to be top 10-15 right now. I'd love to see our program do some of the things UVA's did 10 years ago. UVA is a very talented team. We need to a big, loud crowd today to get our guys fired up. I believe/hope they will be playing the old format today. Dubs point is huge today.

Where was Rubin vs. UVA? and Texas? Lost 4 3-setters vs. Texas that would have been a huge win

Sprained his left wrist and is wearing a brace/cast thing. He said its minor and will be back in about a week.

Good effort for the Deacs against a very, deep and talented UVA team. Hats off to Romo, Ho, and Seraphim for great efforts in singles. Not having Rubin really hurt, and we also need to get Kan 100% healthy.

Another good win today, again without Noah Rubin. It was the first match outdoors for the Deacs this year. TCU was good, and in general it was a really close match. Bogaerts is really good and fun to watch. Following the TCU match today the Deacs played NC A&T. Wake sat their top two players but still won easily 7-0.

The #19 men play #24 FSU today at 4 PM at the indoor tennis center and then play #28 Louisville on Sunday, which is also at home. Both teams have really good number 1 players - Ben Lock for FSU plays Davis Cup (for Zimbabwe) and Sebastian Stiefelmeyer for Louisville is currently the #1 ranked player in college tennis.

The #63 Wake women play at Louisville today and at Pittsburgh on Sunday.

The #19 men play #24 FSU today at 4 PM at the indoor tennis center and then play #28 Louisville on Sunday, which is also at home. Both teams have really good number 1 players - Ben Lock for FSU plays Davis Cup (for Zimbabwe) and Sebastian Stiefelmeyer for Louisville is currently the #1 ranked player in college tennis.

The #63 Wake women play at Louisville today and at Pittsburgh on Sunday.

:eek:

He must have gotten miraculously much better over the summer. Bogaerts handled him easily in the NCAA tournament last year

:eek:

He must have gotten miraculously much better over the summer. Bogaerts handled him easily in the NCAA tournament last year

He won the fall individual NCAA championships (Bogaerts made the semis), so I think he has improved a fair amount.

Back