• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WF Tennis (WS Open Starts Saturday)

Bresky is the realest real deal. For folks more in the know on NCAA Tennis, do we have to worry about potential suitors for his services, or is this like soccer where we are/can be a destination job?

This is like soccer. We currently have top 5 facilities that will soon be #1. We play an ATP event on our courts and play in the top conference.

just curious but how are we going to top 5 to #1 in facilities?

just curious but how are we going to top 5 to #1 in facilities?

Wake continues to build permanent seating at the complex, with plans to build seating over the 6 college courts and eventually a permanent grandstand. The college court seating is to be finished before we host the NCAA national championships in 2018.

who uses this thing? do they sell memberships to the public?

I think there are memberships to the indoor courts. Outdoor are just for the teamS IIRC.

Memberships allow you to play on the outdoor courts as well.

As far as Bresky leaving, I think that it's not quite like soccer. Wake is not a destination job at this point, and the fact that it's a private school in a partial scholarship sport as well as the high admissions standards can make it difficult to compete in a sport that relies so heavily on foreign players. I think he would leave for the right job, especially if they were offering a pay boost

Memberships allow you to play on the outdoor courts as well.

As far as Bresky leaving, I think that it's not quite like soccer. Wake is not a destination job at this point, and the fact that it's a private school in a partial scholarship sport as well as the high admissions standards can make it difficult to compete in a sport that relies so heavily on foreign players. I think he would leave for the right job, especially if they were offering a pay boost

Like UVA or UGA? I would think tennis is one of those sports, like golf, where partial scholarships are not a huge deterrent to top talent. Though you make a good point about foreign players.

Soccer is also a partial a scholly sport. Foreign players pay out of state tuition at state schools.

I think Wake's tuition is less of an issue in tennis than it is other partially funded sports, like baseball, golf, and even soccer. The reason is because tennis is such an international sport that it doesn't hurt to lose recruits from NC to the NC state schools, because there are very few elite level tennis players from NC. For example, NC State tennis currently has 0 players in its top 6 from NC and UNC only has 1 consistent player in its top 6 from NC.

I think Wake's tuition is less of an issue in tennis than it is other partially funded sports, like baseball, golf, and even soccer. The reason is because tennis is such an international sport that it doesn't hurt to lose recruits from NC to the NC state schools, because there are very few elite level tennis players from NC. For example, NC State tennis currently has 0 players in its top 6 from NC and UNC only has 1 consistent player in its top 6 from NC.

Did the NCGA do away with the provision that grants OOS Student-Athletes instate tuition?

1. why are we still using this thread from last year. come on people. someone who is gonna be active / knows what's going on start a new one.

2. wasn't bogaerts monte last year, why is he unranked and playing 4?

Bogaerts was monte at 1 and 2 last year, but at the end of the year he hurt his back, sat out some, and he hasn't been the same since. He's played both 3 and 4 this year. He played really well today, so hopefully that's a sign of good things to come. When he's playing his best he's a top 10 player in the country.

Soccer is also a partial a scholly sport. Foreign players pay out of state tuition at state schools.

Right but it's a little different in that there aren't a lot of foreign players at top college soccer programs. Also out of state tuition at a state school is still a lot cheaper than Wake tuition. The admissions standards, especially the English proficiency standards, are way more of issue than the scholarship situation though.

Right but it's a little different in that there aren't a lot of foreign players at top college soccer programs. Also out of state tuition at a state school is still a lot cheaper than Wake tuition. The admissions standards, especially the English proficiency standards, are way more of issue than the scholarship situation though.

Yes, the higher number of foreign players levels the recruiting playing field because none of them have state school options. Wake has recruited well internationally and in the states. 4 of Wake's top 6 are international players. Wake's tuition is $44,000 and UNC is $33,000.

I mean we can go back and forth about this all day, obviously it's far from impossible and Bresky has done a great job of it, but the idea that it's just as easy for Wake to get top foreign guys as say Texas A&M or Ohio State, both from a financial and admissions standpoint, is just not true.

A few years ago we were in on a very good foreign player who had a higher ATP ranking than Rubin had when he committed, but there was just no chance of getting him into school. Now he plays at an SEC school.

Back