• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WF Tennis (WS Open Starts Saturday)

Noah Rubin got a wild card into the grass court ATP tournament in Newport this week. It will be only his second tour-level tournament after playing in last year's Winston-Salem Open

Noah Rubin got a wild card into the grass court ATP tournament in Newport this week. It will be only his second tour-level tournament after playing in last year's Winston-Salem Open

Rubin goes down in three sets to a guy ranked #100 in the world. He also jumped up 300+ spots to #700 in the ATP rankings after those two Futures got added in this week

#11 men's team played their first two matches yesterday and won both in convincing fashion. They beat #75 North Florida in the morning 8-1 and ETSU 8-1 in the afternoon. ETSU has a good program and frequently makes the NCAA tourney (they did last year). Their whole team is composed of Spanish-speaking players, which is interesting.

Wake's team is very deep and I think will win a lot of matches at 4, 5, and 6 singles. The top is not likely to be as dominating last year, as Rubin was almost a guaranteed win at 1 singles every match. The two matches Wake lost this weekend were both at 1 singles. In the first match Mansouri lost an abbreviated match at 1 (3rd set tiebreak instead of full set) and in the afternoon match Petros (freshman) lost at 1 singles.

Wake plays at home again next weekend. The women's team plays a double-header at home tomorrow.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/tennis/35319202

I guess tennis might be the easiest sport to throw a match in.

The craziest part is the fact that there is a betting market for practically every professional tennis match, even at the lowest levels of the sport. It would be like if there was an active betting market on Single A baseball. No surprise that players who are grinding it out for hundreds of dollars a week are susceptible to taking money to throw matches

The craziest part is the fact that there is a betting market for practically every professional tennis match, even at the lowest levels of the sport. It would be like if there was an active betting market on Single A baseball. No surprise that players who are grinding it out for hundreds of dollars a week are susceptible to taking money to throw matches

That surprised me also. The article mention that 16 of the top 50 players were throwing matches at one point. That is crazy if true.

Wow, Rubin beat #17 Benoit Paire 7-6, 7-6, 7-6!

Paire is talking some shit:

"Afterword, the Frenchman didn't have many kind words for his opponent. ''I played against a not good player, but I was very bad today so that's it, I lost,'' he said. ''I didn't know him and after this match, I said, yes, he's not a good player.''"

That surprised me also. The article mention that 16 of the top 50 players were throwing matches at one point. That is crazy if true.

Don't think that's quite right. It's 16 players who have all been ranked in the top 50 at some time in their career. Not that they were all in the top 50 at once

Reactions: ONW
The women's team won both of their matches today, 7-0 vs College of Charleston and 5-2 against Winthrop (they won 4-0 but then 3 matches played tie-breaks instead of 3rd sets, with Winthrop winning two of those). Doubles looked very dominant (based on scores), winning most matches 6-0 or 6-1.

The men will play Auburn at home next weekend and the women will play at Tennessee.

Don't think that's quite right. It's 16 players who have all been ranked in the top 50 at some time in their career. Not that they were all in the top 50 at once

I worded that poorly. 16 players who were in the top 50 during the last decade. Not sure that's better either.

Rubin plays at 1:30 against another Frenchman. If he wins he most likely takes on Tsonga.

Saw that he was the first player ranked 300 or below to beat a top 20 team in a major in 30 years. That's something.

Back