• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WF Tennis (WS Open Starts Saturday)

last game 40-40 uva serves hit the net and bounces in. our guy had no shot

play the serve off the net and no ad scoring in college tennis

Yes college tennis has no lets.

A great match, closest I can remember ever playing UVA, great improvement over last years team despite losing Rubin.

Great, great match. The Deacs are really good, probably top 5.

The reason there are no lets in men's college tennis (there are in women's) is because players used to get aced by big servers and then call a let and the chair ump couldn't accurately overrule the call.

They are also using no-ad scoring in college so the whole match, dubs and singles, lasts under 3 hours.

So, we lost on a let on the no-ad point. Tough way to lose.

What was the score in the last match when the last point happened?

Yeah I mean we were still down a break so hard to complain too much, but crappy way to lose. Deacs looked good today though. Other than UVA and UNC, we could easily win the rest of the matches on our schedule.

Match against USC tomorrow in the consolation will be huge for ranking purposes. I think we probably have the edge

We almost beat the #1 team in the nation at their place. Definitely moving in the right direction.

Chicks won 2 at MSU and EMU. Now 9-0.

We almost beat the #1 team in the nation at their place. Definitely moving in the right direction.

Chicks won 2 at MSU and EMU. Now 9-0.

The girls are looking pretty solid. I don't think they've played a tournament team yet (maybe W&M will be) so hard to really tell, but judging by their victory margins thus far, I think they will be right on the bubble for the NCAA tournament (for the first time since '09 I think) and probably will end up on the right side of it

College tennis rules seem odd. I guess I get the no-ad for time-sakes. The no let rule is pretty ridiculous and it seems like there are a lot of calls made by players (in when out and vice versa) that aren't correct.

Yeah I mean we were still down a break so hard to complain too much, but crappy way to lose. Deacs looked good today though. Other than UVA and UNC, we could easily win the rest of the matches on our schedule.

Match against USC tomorrow in the consolation will be huge for ranking purposes. I think we probably have the edge

if we win that point it's 4-5 and we are serving. probably around 40% win prob at that point -- if the serve is a fault, maybe about a 20% win probability (down a break 5-3, facing second serve at 40-40 against a pretty evenly matched opponent)

Not having lets is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard.

it really is ridiculous but the rule has been in for a while now.

if we won that point and broken serve it would have been the 4th or 5th straight serve break in a row.

no lets is fine, if the ball hits the net during play the point doesn't stop, and the point about the issues with calling your own points are a good one. just annoying that we got screwed by that (not too different than the banked in 3)

Back