• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WF Tennis (WS Open Starts Saturday)

Saw both matches this weekend. Hard to believe the tough loss to Texas. But we dominated #6 Texas Tech today. Great bounce back for WF Men's Tennis.

Great win today! Mansouri and Chrysochos were both down big in their second sets and rallied to win. Seraphim and Bogaerts were headed to third sets when the match was clinched.

Mansouri is playing really well. He has a huge serve and is really quick at the net. I thought he was very impressive all weekend. Chrysochos was also very good. He takes his ground strokes on the rise and just crushes them.

Tough loss to Texas. Hard to imagine losing 3 straight 3rd set breakers, but it happened. First outdoor match of the year and very windy. Love the way we bounced back to beat an even better Texas Tech team. We've got a bunch of home ACC matches coming up before we hit the road in late March. If you are big Wake tennis fan, you should try and get to Chapel Hill in early April for that match.

This upcoming weekend Wake plays #57 GT on Friday and #25 NC State on Sunday, with both matches at home. I think both will be pretty tough matches.

Singles competition
1. #113 Romain Bogaerts (WF) def. HENNING,Benedikt (NSUM) 6-1, 6-1
2. Jon Ho (WF) def. DUMITRASCU,Dan (NSUM) 6-2, 6-0
3. Dennis Uspensky (WF) def. FERNANDEZ,Flavian (NSUM) 6-2, 6-3
4. Maksim Kan (WF) def. PEJIC,Antonio (NSUM) 6-2, 6-1
5. Keivon Tabrizi (WF) def. SINGH,Fatehdeep (NSUM) 6-3, 6-4
6. Brendan Henry (WF) def. No player (NSUM), by default

nice job brendan!

Singles competition
1. #113 Romain Bogaerts (WF) def. HENNING,Benedikt (NSUM) 6-1, 6-1
2. Jon Ho (WF) def. DUMITRASCU,Dan (NSUM) 6-2, 6-0
3. Dennis Uspensky (WF) def. FERNANDEZ,Flavian (NSUM) 6-2, 6-3
4. Maksim Kan (WF) def. PEJIC,Antonio (NSUM) 6-2, 6-1
5. Keivon Tabrizi (WF) def. SINGH,Fatehdeep (NSUM) 6-3, 6-4

nice job brendan!

How do you end up not having a player ready to go? Injuries? Last minute scratch? I don't know a ton about college tennis, but that seems like some high school stuff where you don't have enough players to field a squad.

How do you end up not having a player ready to go? Injuries? Last minute scratch? I don't know a ton about college tennis, but that seems like some high school stuff where you don't have enough players to field a squad.

College tennis does some odd things. For example, yesterday Wake was supposed to play Norfolk State at 5 PM. At about 4 PM Wake Tennis tweeted that they would actually play Norfolk State twice, with the first match starting at 4:45 PM. Then, instead of playing doubles first, they played singles first and didn't even play doubles in the first match (because Wake was up 6-0 at that point). What I think happened, and seems to happen often in college tennis, is that Wake wanted to work on certain things, and Norfolk State obliged. Last year, Alabama played Alabama St 4 times in one day, just so Alabama could be above .500 and eligible for the NCAA tourney.

Just looked at Norfolk State's roster, and they only have 5 players...

College tennis does some odd things. For example, yesterday Wake was supposed to play Norfolk State at 5 PM. At about 4 PM Wake Tennis tweeted that they would actually play Norfolk State twice, with the first match starting at 4:45 PM. Then, instead of playing doubles first, they played singles first and didn't even play doubles in the first match (because Wake was up 6-0 at that point). What I think happened, and seems to happen often in college tennis, is that Wake wanted to work on certain things, and Norfolk State obliged. Last year, Alabama played Alabama St 4 times in one day, just so Alabama could be above .500 and eligible for the NCAA tourney.

Just looked at Norfolk State's roster, and they only have 5 players...

Singles competition
1. Keivon Tabrizi (WF) def. HENNING,Benedikt (NSUM) 7-5, 6-3
2. Maksim Kan (WF) def. FERNANDEZ,Flavian (NSUM) 6-3, 6-0
3. Sam Bloom (WF) def. DUMITRASCU,Dan (NSUM) 4-6, 6-0, 6-0
4. PEJIC,Antonio (NSUM) def. Anthony Delcore (WF) 6-3, 3-6, 6-4
5. #25 Skander Mansouri (WF) def. SINGH,Fatehdeep (NSUM) 7-6 (7-5), 6-0

I assume Mansouri played the first set left-handed

Singles competition
1. Keivon Tabrizi (WF) def. HENNING,Benedikt (NSUM) 7-5, 6-3
2. Maksim Kan (WF) def. FERNANDEZ,Flavian (NSUM) 6-3, 6-0
3. Sam Bloom (WF) def. DUMITRASCU,Dan (NSUM) 4-6, 6-0, 6-0
4. PEJIC,Antonio (NSUM) def. Anthony Delcore (WF) 6-3, 3-6, 6-4
5. #25 Skander Mansouri (WF) def. SINGH,Fatehdeep (NSUM) 7-6 (7-5), 6-0

I assume Mansouri played the first set left-handed

He played with a wooden racket.

Just a few years ago, the women's team at Wake didn't have enough players and had to forfeit a ton of singles and doubles matches.

Just a few years ago, the women's team at Wake didn't have enough players and had to forfeit a ton of singles and doubles matches.

That was when I was there. Some were because players were to hungover to play. They were out all Friday and Saturday night and caused a few to be forfeited.

Women lost 4-3 to #17 S Carolina.

They are clearly better than they have been in several years.

Women lost 4-3 to #17 S Carolina.

They are clearly better than they have been in several years.

They are. Teams ranked in the top 40 make the NCAA tourney. I think they'll end up on the bubble - hopefully they can pull out a few more close matches.

The reason the matches will be tough this weekend is because Wake will be without two of their best players. Mansouri and Chrysochos will play Davis Cup for their countries (Tunisia and Cyprus), which is a great opportunity for them, but the Deacs will have to shift everyone up 2 spots.

That was when I was there. Some were because players were to hungover to play. They were out all Friday and Saturday night and caused a few to be forfeited.

This is not correct. It was girls with long-term injuries, not one-off's

They are. Teams ranked in the top 40 make the NCAA tourney. I think they'll end up on the bubble - hopefully they can pull out a few more close matches.

I actually think the women will be safely in. Given how they've been playing, they seem to be a lot closer to a top 20 team than a top 40 team. They should be able to beat the middle tier ACC teams like Boston College, Notre Dame, Florida State, NC State, etc. and those wins should be plenty to keep them easily on the right side of the bubble

This is not correct. It was girls with long-term injuries, not one-off's

Gotta tell one of the girls from the tennis team my junior year I believe, that she's wrong that one of her teammates wasn't hungover which caused a forfeit. I agree that most were long-term injuries, but if teammates are trustworthy - which I would imagine they are, then one particular starter was too hungover to play one Saturday morning. Which is one match too many for any D-I athlete to be hungover for in any sport.

Skander Mansouri named ACC player of the week for the second time this year. He beat the #2 doubles team in the country and the #17 singles player, in addition to a couple of other ranked wins last weekend.

Back