• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WF Tennis (WS Open Starts Saturday)

Not really. NC State is better than their current ranking. They lost 4-3 to #6 Duke,#12 UNC, and #16 VT. Wake was favored and the better team, and it's Wake's first loss to a lower ranked opponent, but it's not a huge upset.

As I said, the only really surprising match was Bogaerts, but now that Norenius of State is healthy he's been playing really well.

You are kidding right? State is now 1-5 in the ACC. We have an elite one year player. Our goal shoud be to make a deep run in the NCAAs this year and this is the kind of loss that will have us barely struggling to host the 1st two rounds.

Last edited:
You are kidding right? State is now 1-5 in the ACC. We have an elite one year player. Our goal shoud be to make a deep run in the NCAAs this year and this is the kind of loss that will have us barely struggling to host the 1st two rounds.

Did it read as though I was kidding? In the ACC State had lost to the #4, 8, 14, 16, and 23 teams in the country, with 4 of the losses being 4-3. They played the toughest teams first and were playing through some injuries.

We still have an elite player, the chance to host the first two rounds, and the chance to make a deep run in the tourney.

Our goals should be better than just barely being a top 16 team this year. We have two of the top players in the country and another ranked player at #3. Losing to a team that was 0-5 in the ACC coming in is a bad loss. No way to sugarcoat it.

Our goals should be better than just barely being a top 16 team this year. We have two of the top players in the country and another ranked player at #3. Losing to a team that was 0-5 in the ACC coming in is a bad loss. No way to sugarcoat it.

Going into the match I thought it would be a tough one, and it was, with Wake losing a close 4-3 match. Wake played 4 freshmen and no seniors and State played 3 seniors and no freshmen. It happens. Ours goals still remain a deep run in the ACC and ncaa tourneys.

This loss will make it much harder to achieve those goals. We don't want to get matched up with a top 3 team in the 1st round of the sweet 16 even if we host the 1st two rounds. And a loss like this makes that even a question. We will drop significantly in the rankings.

I don't think we'll drop much at all. We are 2.5 pts ahead of the team right below us (ole miss) and they also lost this week. It's a bit hard to tell though, because each week one more "best win" is added to the formula at this point in the season. Some teams we beat have moved up (ok state, Louisville), so that should help.

I see both sides here. State is better than their record, and better than you guys are giving them credit for, BUT, I also think this was a bad loss. We should win that match 5-2. We need to go out and beat GT and Clemson convincingly this week. Outside of winning every remaining match, which we should do the rest of the year (UNC with Schnur will be tough), our goals need to be to finish top 16 nationally, and top 3 in the ACC, which is probably the tougher of the two. We want to avoid playing UVA in the semis in the ACC tourney. Duke probably has a 2/3 finish locked up, so getting VT to drop down is our best hope. They have UVA left, so that's one loss, and hopefully they can find another.

Need VTech to lose to Louisville today at 2:30 which is entirely possible and then we need a routine win over GTech at 5pm.

I don't think this is the type of team that hosting home matches matters a ton. The talent is there and they can beat any team in the country, will be favored against most going into the tournament.

As for Rubin being a one-year player... I wouldn't say that's 100%

1-0 over GT right now with the doubles point in hand

It's a very talented team, but I do think two ncaa tourney matches at home would be huge. If not, that means they would be playing at the home of a higher seeded team. I think finishing top 16 in the country going into the ncaa tourney is very important to this team.

Obviously it's going to help any team, but I just think the talent level is so high we can overcome being on the road

2-1 over GT with latest update, Rubin with the 2nd point.

GT match is very close. Wake barely won doubles and now it will be decided by a couple of third set matches.

Wake isn't playing as well as they did earlier in the ACC season, though that might be the difference between home and away matches.

Back