• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WF Tennis (WS Open Starts Saturday)

Best common opponent between WFU and CC is Duke. We won 6-1 and CC lost 4-0. Should be an easy first round.

Seems like a good draw.

How good is UCLA? Looks like their two losses are to UVA and UNC, beat UGA twice.

Last edited:
Think that may have been explained before, so sorry if a repeat, but can someone explain how UNC is 4th in ACC standings, fails to advance to ACC finals, and is still #2 overall seed?

Were they just awesome out of conference or something?

Think that may have been explained before, so sorry if a repeat, but can someone explain how UNC is 4th in ACC standings, fails to advance to ACC finals, and is still #2 overall seed?

Were they just awesome out of conference or something?
They didn't lose to State, Amirite?

Did the loss to State hurt us?

wolpfack.JPG

Nope, you must be mistaken. Losses never end up mattering at the end of the season

I was more than happy to let this line of discussion die, but you seem incapable of doing so. As a reminder, here is what you wrote, "Welp, that's it. That loss is going to kill our ranking, any [sic] by implication, our tournament seeding...It will definitely hurt on trying to be top 8 (and therefore playing a lower ranked team in the Sweet 16) at the end of the season. Not to mention that depending on how ACC results go, it increases the possibility of being the #4 seed in the ACC tournament, which we definitely don't want."

The loss didn't prevent us from being top 8, nor did it result in us being the #4 seed in the ACC tourney.

I was more than happy to let this line of discussion die, but you seem incapable of doing so. As a reminder, here is what you wrote, "Welp, that's it. That loss is going to kill our ranking, any [sic] by implication, our tournament seeding...It will definitely hurt on trying to be top 8 (and therefore playing a lower ranked team in the Sweet 16) at the end of the season. Not to mention that depending on how ACC results go, it increases the possibility of being the #4 seed in the ACC tournament, which we definitely don't want."

The loss didn't prevent us from being top 8, nor did it result in us being the #4 seed in the ACC tourney.

We ended up beating more teams than I predicted, but doesn't mean it didn't kill our ranking. We could have easily been a top 4 seed. In the rankings that only take into account wins, we are #3, so I don't know how you can possibly say that the losses haven't hurt us. It did hurt our ranking, and our tournament seeding. Do you disagree?

I was wrong about how good we would end up being. I wasn't wrong about the fundamental underlying issue that we were debating, which is that losses matter

Last edited:
i can't believe Rafi is still trying to argue the side that goes against basic logic.

These rankings are totally computer based. Of course a bad loss is going to hurt your total points, and thus potentially your seeding.

i can't believe Rafi is still trying to argue the side that goes against basic logic.

These rankings are totally computer based. Of course a bad loss is going to hurt your total points, and thus potentially your seeding.

Serenity now!

We all understand math. During the initial discussion, I wrote this, "Yes, it might mean the difference of a couple spots in the rankings based on the ita formula, but we'll have plenty of chances to make up for it during the ACC season." Guess what? If we had beaten the Wolpfack we would be ranked 4 instead of 6. Just as I wrote back then.

I argued against statements you and others made such as, "We will drop significantly in the rankings" "That loss is going to kill our ranking" "It will definitely hurt on trying to be top 8" "it increases the possibility of being the #4 seed in the ACC tournament"

As I stated back then, this team is really good and all that really matters is how we are playing at the end of the year. I think I was correct with that statement as well, as indicated by our ACC championship!

I think we are one of the top 2 or 3 teams in the nation. We went 2-2 playing #1 & #2 with 3 of the four matches away and one on a neutral court.

We could have easily been one of the top 4 or 5 teams in the nation and ended up being seeded 8th playing Virginia in the 2nd round.

Bad losses matter.

Fortunately, I think we have a pretty good draw out of 6th and I think we have as good of a shot of winning this thing as any of the other top teams.

But having a better seed generally makes your life easier.

At this point, it really doesn't matter whether WF is the #3, #4 or #6 seed. WF has recently beaten the #1 and #2 seeds in the tournament (for that matter WF has also beaten the #8, 10 and 11 seeds as well). If the seeds hold, the only difference is that WF will play #3 UCLA in the quarters, instead of #5 Ohio State. If the goal is to win the NC, you have to beat the best anyway. If WF can't beat UCLA in the Quarters, then they wouldn't win the NC.

when will the dates and times of the first two rounds be announced?

WF Tennis (The Men are ACC Champs! Bresky Coach of the Year)

when will the dates and times of the first two rounds be announced?

3pm on Friday the 13th and 3pm on Saturday the 14th.

At this point, it really doesn't matter whether WF is the #3, #4 or #6 seed. WF has recently beaten the #1 and #2 seeds in the tournament (for that matter WF has also beaten the #8, 10 and 11 seeds as well). If the seeds hold, the only difference is that WF will play #3 UCLA in the quarters, instead of #5 Ohio State. If the goal is to win the NC, you have to beat the best anyway. If WF can't beat UCLA in the Quarters, then they wouldn't win the NC.

I don't want to get sucked into this. But it absolutely matters. And playing UCLA over OSU makes a difference because I think UCLA is a lot better than OSU, especially outdoors.

Your premise is flawed too because having an easy road always increases your chances of winning the national championship, even if you are the "best team." And the "best team" doesn't always win the title or every individual match - upsets are a thing in sports.

If we have a 60% chance of beating UCLA and a 70% chance of beating OSU, then our chances of winning a national championship are better if we have to play OSU than if we have to play UCLA. This is basic math. You're approaching this like you had a 100% chance of beating every team you end up beating and a 0% chance of beating every team you end up losing to...this is not how sports work.

If I gave you the choice of playing Coastal Carolina in the quarters and Boston College in the semis before playing Virginia in the final or playing UCLA in the quarters and UNC in the semis before playing Virginia in the final, would you really tell me that it makes zero difference because "you have to beat the best anyway"?

Just give up the argument. You were wrong that losses, especially bad losses, don't hurt you in the rankings. And now you're trying to double down by saying that being lower in the rankings doesn't hurt you, which is just as wrong, as illustrated above. Take the L and let's move on

Back