• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WF Tennis (WS Open Starts Saturday)

I guess the team decided that beating UVA in the ACC finals was enough.

PTOWN is validated again!!!!!!!!

Seems as if our teams get overwhelmed when getting to the big stage, no matter the sport. I wonder if we have ever used sports psychologist to bolster our mental approach?

Oh for the love of Christ. We had a key injury and were going up against a team with multiple players with national championship experience playing in their home state. It's not exactly surprising that they handled it better than us

Seems as if our teams get overwhelmed when getting to the big stage, no matter the sport. I wonder if we have ever used sports psychologist to bolster our mental approach?

You do realize that this team beat UVA in a third set tiebreaker to win the ACC championship a few weeks ago, right? The same UVA program that had won 9 straight ACC championships and had the longest win streak in any ACC sport ever.

I could see Wake men's tennis program following the trajectory of the men's soccer team. Assembled very talented teams, achieve high rankings, have decent runs in the NCAA tourney and then break through for a national championship when it's hosted close to home. For tennis, that would be 2018 when Wake hosts.

Oh for the love of Christ. We had a key injury and were going up against a team with multiple players with national championship experience playing in their home state. It's not exactly surprising that they handled it better than us

Yes, you make a point many overlooked. As well as we played during the season we should have had a higher seed and avoided a "home" match with Oklahoma. This was the main advantage in their favor. Second and third was probably lateness of the matches and indoors.

Yes, you make a point many overlooked. As well as we played during the season we should have had a higher seed and avoided a "home" match with Oklahoma. This was the main advantage in their favor. Second and third was probably lateness of the matches and indoors.

The overall 1 seed, UVA, played OK State (a team we lost to), which is closer to Tulsa than is OU. In order to win the national championship you have to play well, we did not.

I honestly don't view this loss as a huge upset. Harris hadn't played in either of the previous matches. He is a great player. He beat Rubin 3 and 3 last year. They are a much better team with him

I honestly don't view this loss as a huge upset. Harris hadn't played in either of the previous matches. He is a great player. He beat Rubin 3 and 3 last year. They are a much better team with him

This is also the correct response, thought the way that we performed at other positions in the lineup was admittedly disappointing

You made my point. Big stage, big moment vs big boy opponent and not only did we lose, we got shut out.
There's always the WF rationalization of why it just wasn't meant to be. LOWF mentality.
Still, best year of Wake tennis in forever. Something to build on.

You made my point. Big stage, big moment vs big boy opponent and not only did we lose, we got shut out.
There's always the WF rationalization of why it just wasn't meant to be. LOWF mentality.
Still, best year of Wake tennis in forever. Something to build on.

Dude, we beat a team that had won 9 straight ACC championships to win the ACC championship. To repeat: none of the other ACC teams had beaten them in the ACC tournament in the last decade. That was a big stage, big moment v. big boy opponent, and we came through. Yet you think the team has a LOWF mentality? Give me break

The loss was disappointing, but not a signal that we need a psychologist.

Dude, we beat a team that had won 9 straight ACC championships to win the ACC championship. To repeat: none of the other ACC teams had beaten them in the ACC tournament in the last decade. That was a big stage, big moment v. big boy opponent, and we came through. Yet you think the team has a LOWF mentality? Give me break

The loss was disappointing, but not a signal that we need a psychologist.

i respect a dude who stands by his rationalization.
The original question was simply whether we have ever employed the services of a sports psychologist to enhance the mental aspects for any of our sports. My god it certainly couldn't hurt.

i respect a dude who stands by his rationalization.
The original question was simply whether we have ever employed the services of a sports psychologist to enhance the mental aspects for any of our sports. My god it certainly couldn't hurt.

No, your original "question" said that this was just the latest in Wake teams across all sports getting overwhelmed on the big stage, while completely ignoring the fact that this same team came through on the big stage a few weeks ago. No reason to lump them in to whatever issues there may or may not be in other sports (I would question your premise there too)

Really depends on who stays. If we only lose the seniors (Bogaerts and Ho), I wouldn't anticipate much of a drop off. If we lose Chrysochos or Mansouri, could be trouble

Are the redshirts supposed to be good (are they still with the program)?

No, your original "question" said that this was just the latest in Wake teams across all sports getting overwhelmed on the big stage, while completely ignoring the fact that this same team came through on the big stage a few weeks ago. No reason to lump them in to whatever issues there may or may not be in other sports (I would question your premise there too)

OK, let me clarify...the big stage with the bright lights is NCAA post-season games, tournaments, matches, etc. Not ACC tournaments.

OK, let me clarify...the big stage with the bright lights is NCAA post-season games, tournaments, matches, etc. Not ACC tournaments.

Whatever man. The ACC tournament is a pretty big freaking deal with how strong the conference is

The WF Men's Tennis Team are the ACC Champs (IIRC, the first team other than UVA to win the conference in ages), and then finished the NCAA tourney with two wins before losing in the round of 16 in essentially a road match with a key player injured (which means WF finished between #9 and #16 in the nation). Yes, "soooo Wake Forest." :squint: Great season for a team that is clearly among the nation's elite.

People just love to believe in the mythology of sports and if you don't win somehow you weren't clutch or didn't want it bad enough. Sometimes you just get whipped.

People just love to believe in the mythology of sports and if you don't win somehow you weren't clutch or didn't want it bad enough. Sometimes you just get whipped.

Absolutely. We just got whipped in this match.

Back