• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '23-'24 Roster Construction Thread: +Miller, Sallis, Reid, & Canka

Came here to learn about Sallis' game and all I see is the rehashed debate about the British Bulldogs. So is this guy decent? The minimal discussion of him I can see on the last few pages makes him sound like MKG.
MKG is a good comp.

For now, maybe Tony Allen from Celtics and Memphis.

Once Forbes and our new consultant, Nick Nurse, work on his shot, Bruce Bowen.

I'll take any/all of that!

although i do agree that sallis's jumper doesn't LOOK broken, so probably more hope than MKG that he can get a jumper going

My very brief research says that Sallis was known as a good outside shooter going into college, and he shot 78% from the line last season. Based on that, I'm optimistic he'll end up being a viable from three.

Kind of mind-blowing that MKG went #2 overall. Nice job MJ.

Needless to say if Sallis can play his way into the lottery I think we'll be in good shape.

Wait, are we suggesting he'll shoot better if he shoots more?
It feels like we got one type of player and our fans are really hoping he’s going to be another type of player. I have my doubts. I hope our results with Alondes don’t set us up for disappointment with transfers who don’t make that kind of spectacular transformation

Not at all worried about Sallis's 3PT shooting.

First, 43 attempts is an EXTREMELY small sample. Like, comically low. He also took a grand total of 19 3PT attempts his entire freshman year. For comparison, Tyree took 214 3PT attempts last season alone.

Second, FT% is widely accepted as a very strong indicator of a player's shooting potential. Sallis's was 78%, which is outstanding for a sophomore* with limited attempts. It also tends to indicate he doesn't have the "jitters" or anything, since it's not easy to consistently make FTs when you don't take all that many in the first place.

Third, as a failed former HS basketball player, I will just note how difficult it is to shoot a consistent 3PT% where you come into the game unsure how many three point attempts you might get, or whether you will get any at all. Sallis's game log shows A LOT of 0-1s and 0-0s. Really really hard to shoot a high 3PT% when you're not sure if your next shot will be your last. This kid is going to rake once he's consistently working up a sweat without being worried he might get yanked if he misses his first attempt.

* Edited to note that Sallis was actually a sophomore last year, not a freshman.

Last edited:
Agree with the above... Sallis should shoot over 30% from 3. Probably not a knockdown shooter, but that won't be his role.

Keep in mind that Alondes shot 28.2% from 3 at Wake. Of course, he was flat out brutal from long range the last month of the season, which skews the stats.

He appears to be an efficient slasher, with most of his attempts and a very good percentage from 2. I don’t expect him to be a sniper from deep, but he should be passable and likely better than say Alondes.

Sallis improved from 71% to a very respectable 78% at the line last year. I’d expect a more modest but continued improvement there next year. Compare that with Alondes at 69% (to get his 28% from 3), and 31-34% (enough to keep the D honest) seems well within reach.

Sallis and the British guard can split time on the court. Can’t see them playing together except in special situations.

Sallis and the British guard can split time on the court. Can’t see them playing together except in special situations.
I can see two combo guards playing together if we need size on the floor in a lineup with three wing/big shooters.

Back