• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '23-'24 Roster Construction Thread: +Miller, Sallis, Reid, & Canka

Yeah, we need a big. It would be a huge problem with the current group, unless really unbelievable amount of progress in the off-season. I also keep banging on the ball handler drum as well. PG or CG that can bring the ball up under pressure (a concern imo).
between miller, hildreth, and jao - we have some PGs

???????? Just because we failed to land a competent big last year doesn't mean we shouldn't try to land one this year. Last year's team was a competent big away from being a tournament team. It makes a huge difference. We absolutely need a big, waaaayyy more than we need anything else.
Of course everyone agrees that we should try to land a good big. Nobody thinks otherwise. But if we aren’t in a position to do that I’d rather take a good player at another position over a Bradford just because “we need a big”.

Micah is gonna wind up at State, ball out for 3 years, and it's gonna piss me off.

Of course everyone agrees that we should try to land a good big. Nobody thinks otherwise. But if we aren’t in a position to do that I’d rather take a good player at another position over a Bradford just because “we need a big”.
This

between miller, hildreth, and jao - we have some PGs

well, we have two unproven entities and Hildreth, who is not a PG (SG/SF - IMO).

maybe i am the only one concerned about this...

We are dead in the water without somebody who can defend the post and protect the rim.

not one of our current bigs are good at rebounding or defending right now, they are all works in progress. i am not trying to bash on them, I am happy they are all here but if Bobbi needs to play C at any point next season...i have made my point.

Too bad on Handlogten. He would have fit perfect. His top 8 is all big state schools though, so i take some solace in that.

IF we're starting Marsh it's not a season worth emotionally investing in. I think and hope we'll land a decent but not great big that can play solid defense and will cover that position by committee between Carr, the transfer, Keller, and occasionally Marsh who I think will have a heavily diminished role next year and have more DNPs than games with 15+ minutes.

I am of the mindset that if we don't land a big who can play a lick of defense, then unless Carr suddenly becomes an above average defender, our ceiling is not very high for next year. It's very important to get a defensive big.
Was Carr above average before his injury? I felt like he had some really nice outings.

IF we're starting Marsh it's not a season worth emotionally investing in. I think and hope we'll land a decent but not great big that can play solid defense and will cover that position by committee between Carr, the transfer, Keller, and occasionally Marsh who I think will have a heavily diminished role next year and have more DNPs than games with 15+ minutes.

That feels a little harsh on Marsh.

Waiting to see how the roster looks (and maybe how the team looks in the first few games) before writing off the season.

At least Carr challenges at the rim sometimes? I dunno. If the best players available (and the ones we can get/want to come to Wake) are 6'7/6'8 dudes, I think I'm leaning towards being sort of ok with a Marsh/Keller/Carr rotation and hoping Keller makes a jump, but I don't really know.

Was Carr above average before his injury? I felt like he had some really nice outings.
He was!

He kept us in the @WI, @Clemson, LSU games — largely because he held his own against Wahl, Tyson/Hall, and LSU bigs. The second he went to the bench with foul trouble in those games (all three), we got our ass handed to us.

54 minutes with Carr: +29
66 minutes without: -48

That carried into the first half of ACC play with less severe but still notable splits.

He was our second best +\- for the year at +77 behind only Appleby. But it did get worse the last 10 games, and his +29 in conference play fell to just fifth, behind Hildreth (+58), Monsanto (+58), Marsh (+44), Appleby (+42).

Back