• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '23-'24 Roster Construction Thread: +Miller, Sallis, Reid, & Canka

Ideally Damari spends a lot of time at the 2, Bobi spends a lot of time at the 3, and Carr spends a lot of time at the 4. That will maximize our talent as we currently know it.
Agreed, that would be my dream scenario if Damari is totally healthy and Bobi makes the expected leap. Silly possibilities with that lineup.

I'm going with the medical staff and coaching staff opinion that Ituka was physically unable to play. And hence could not contribute even 5 minutes per game.

I'm going with the medical staff and coaching staff opinion that Ituka was physically unable to play. And hence could not contribute even 5 minutes per game.
Hope you're right, but they played him. Did they just not know how injured he was when they put him in @Clemson?

Just saw that a 6'9 forward from Oklahoma entered the portal (Jacob Groves). Never heard of him and apparently Oklahoma stunk this past year, but he has height and evidently shot 38% from 3.

this big guy is from Huntersville:

sounds like he's probably going to an SEC team

Hope you're right, but they played him. Did they just not know how injured he was when they put him in @Clemson?
it's all very confusing, right?

he comes in hyped by the staff and is named captain. all the dudes with AD sources sing his praises on message boards. Then, he played against one of the HBCUs and was terrible (adjusted for competition). After that, I don't think he really played again and there wasn't much talk of his injury. Then he has like 4 turnovers in 2 minutes v Clemson, and all of a sudden, he's too injured to play

i just wish that the staff would be honest about stuff like this? it just makes no sense...

he comes in hyped by the staff and is named captain. all the dudes with AD sources sing his praises on message boards. Then, he played against one of the HBCUs and was terrible (adjusted for competition). After that, I don't think he really played again and there wasn't much talk of his injury. Then he has like 4 turnovers in 2 minutes v Clemson, and all of a sudden, he's too injured to play

i just wish that the staff would be honest about stuff like this? it just makes no sense...
Well said. These are my thoughts as well. I'm hoping we bring in another playmaking guard who can handle the ball a little bit to help Boopie.

Minutes prognosticators are forgetting our incoming FR class. They might not play much, but another (or three) 3pt shooter(s) will definitely get some minutes.

I’ll be shocked if Parker fredreichson doesn’t get some minutes at the 2. 8-10 minutes seems about right

I’ll be shocked if Parker fredreichson doesn’t get some minutes at the 2. 8-10 minutes seems about right
I'd expect us to bring in another guy who can play guard in the portal, but I agree, and still think he will get some minutes. There are a lot of ifs this off-season but IF:

1- Damari comes back fully healthy
2- Bobi makes the big jump
3- Marsh improves
4- Carr adds some weight
5- We land 2 more solid portal guys in positions of need....

We will be VERY good next year.

Last edited:
A few people have mentioned Keller, and I see him as the wild card in a lot of these discussions. If he could give us meaningful minutes on the defensive end (10/game) we would take a big leap forward next year. Marsh and Carr are just not good post defenders for their size. We need Keller to step up and we badly need a big man who can post up and defend the painted area (and grab rebounds).

Agree that you get the most talented players you can, but if we don’t get a bulldozer PF or long C of some kind…we’re probably screwed.

And maybe that wasn't something communicated well by us covering the team and if so i'll take some blame there. But it seems pretty clear/straightforward

By every account, coaches and non, he was great all summer and was absolutely hooping against tOSU when he hurt his knee. He was supposed to come back to practice ~ a week later but the knee just wasn't getting better and he finally didn't get cleared until a month later where they tried to use the SCSU game as his first live action since the injury happened.

The knee just wasn't getting better and he was just too far behind come December, and the Clemson game was where the tipping point was for everyone involved that if after this long the knee wasn't getting better he probably wasn't going to make a difference. His athleticism was just sapped from the injury + stopping and starting just wasn't helping it, even when cleared from doctors. So gave him some more rest, still wasn't better, everyone decided to pull the cord.

Wasn't really much to say about the injury in between Clemson and when they announced ~ a month later that they didn't say in the press release, just decided it was best to shut things down. But things can always seem/feel murky when there isn't an official diagnosis put out there.

And maybe that wasn't something communicated well by us covering the team and if so i'll take some blame there. But it seems pretty clear/straightforward
By every account, coaches and non, he was great all summer and was absolutely hooping against tOSU when he hurt his knee. He was supposed to come back to practice ~ a week later but the knee just wasn't getting better and he finally didn't get cleared until a month later where they tried to use the SCSU game as his first live action since the injury happened.

The knee just wasn't getting better and he was just too far behind come December, and the Clemson game was where the tipping point was for everyone involved that if after this long the knee wasn't getting better he probably wasn't going to make a difference. His athleticism was just sapped from the injury + stopping and starting just wasn't helping it, even when cleared from doctors. So gave him some more rest, still wasn't better, everyone decided to pull the cord.

Wasn't really much to say about the injury in between Clemson and when they announced ~ a month later that they didn't say in the press release, just decided it was best to shut things down. But things can always seem/feel murky when there isn't an official diagnosis put out there.
That was my reading on it. He was physically able to play, but not well enough to be effective. They gave it a shot, then shut it down.

Clemson game was about as late in the season as he could play and still get medical redshirt. He played the game before and maybe contributed. Against Clemson it was obvious that he was nowhere near playing ACC level basketball. Hence he was shutdown to preserve a year of eligibility, rather than waste it playing walk on minutes.

Tyrese Samuel is the solution at the five. 11/6 in 24 minutes. Four years as a contibuting member of the rotation in a top tier conference. Outstanding defensive player who could immediately be the leader on defense. Marsh and Keller would benefit facing him in practice every day. Compare him to Jake for the benefits playing at Wake could provide him.

Samuel may require NIL benefits. That may account for the Mit Shah interest. Just a guess.

Back