• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '23-'24 Roster Construction Thread: +Miller, Sallis, Reid, & Canka

I'm not as optimistic on the team as a lot of you. I have high hopes but I'm tempering them until we can see how the team gels after a few games. I guess we have nothing but hope as a fanbase at large but I'm mildly in the meh camp overall. Definitely excited about the additions we've made though and I trust Forbes
1fdf2ae2-9e55-4d33-aec4-aa2a0441b749_text.gif

We were a really good offensive team before Damari got hurt but just terrible defensively. I think we addressed that significantly in the portal and along with (possibly) Bobi playing a lot more minutes we are primed to improve a lot there, which is what makes me the most hopeful. That and having much more playable depth. Between Reid, Bobi, and Damari there are obviously a lot of questions to be answered in the next couple months but logically this team should be back in the top 40 or 50 in KP.

I don't have access to the full article but the title of the second article with pertinent results and conclusion is pasted below. 70% return to the same level of play.

High rates of return to play and work follow knee extensor tendon ruptures but low rate of return to pre-injury level of play​

Results:​

....The overall rate of return to play for QT repairs was 89.8%, with 70.0% returning to the same level of play....

Conclusion​

The overall rate of return to play was high following both PT and QT repairs. Moreover, a high percentage of those patients were able to return to their pre-operative level of sport with a low risk for re-rupture.

I really feel like the underwhelming finishes to the last couple of seasons were mostly a result of injuries and zero depth.

I think we've solved the depth problem, but nothing to be done about injuries.
That's certainly a reasonable argument. Hard to win depending on your best players playing 35+ minutes almost every game.

I really feel like the underwhelming finishes to the last couple of seasons were mostly a result of injuries and zero depth.

I think we've solved the depth problem, but nothing to be done about injuries.

Yes, the last two seasons we ended poorly (performance, injury, whatever). I think it is due to lack of depth. I am hoping this team will change that trend.

Not sure where this belongs, but something else to be excited about is the fact that most of the pieces we are talking about that should take us to the next level, are returning the following season (Damari and Bobi being the likely exceptions). Forbes is building depth and is clearly good at working the portal. If we don’t fulfill our potential during the 23-24 season, I’d assume 24-25 will be when we are very, very good.

Leo does not know how to hold his champagne glass.

Surely, we will be able to do better than that; and surely, looking at what we lost and what we gained - as well as the increased experience - we will be better than last year. Please.

I remain worried that we're shaping up to have a real lack of depth on the wing if Bobi leaves, and - though I like him - Forbes hasn't shown enough as a defensive coach to make me believe we can scheme our way out of that. Maybe Sallis and Cam can play down enough to cover it, maybe Clark is stronger or Marion is quicker than expected, maybe Damari comes back healthy and stronger, maybe our Savage replacement is a defensive wiz, but a lot of ifs there.

I remain worried that we're shaping up to have a real lack of depth on the wing if Bobi leaves, and - though I like him - Forbes hasn't shown enough as a defensive coach to make me believe we can scheme our way out of that. Maybe Sallis and Cam can play down enough to cover it, maybe Clark is stronger or Marion is quicker than expected, maybe Damari comes back healthy and stronger, maybe our Savage replacement is a defensive wiz, but a lot of ifs there.
1683313970286.gif

We are free to point out how dumb your insights are. If you are claiming that Bradford was chased off, then you are claiming Forbes chased him off before the season was even over. Bradford indicated his intent to transfer before the season ended. That would be encouraging Bradford to quit on the team while he was still a part of it and some level of contribution might be needed. Do you really believe that?
Yes, the conversation did happen before the end of the season, which in turn prompted a reaction from Bradford on social media where he crossed out the Wake logo on his jersey. That also happened with those that went packing after Forbes' first year, when he had those conversations with about 3 games to go before the ACC Tourney. Forbes tells them early so they can prepare to find a next home, which is commendable. Forbes has spoken about these conversations in the past.

Back