• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What no Hero World Challenge thread?

I really thought he'd get Sam's record. Not sure now. He needs 3 to tie 82 PGA Tour wins.

Tiger's PGA wins since 2010, by yearly total: 0, 0, 3, 5, 0. Nothing about his game the last 18 months shows someone getting back on track. Tiger's goal at this point needs to be making cuts. To get those 4 wins to beat Sam, he's going to have to play in tournaments he's usually scoffed at and ignored with many of the younger talent not playing them. But sure, the "any given weekend" is always a possibility. Less and less, though.

I agree Tiger sucked last year and his putting was the worst I've ever seen it. He shouldn't have even tried to play with that bad back, and the way too early comeback was just painful to watch. Dude should have just packed it in for the year. But I wouldn't say it's laughable about beating Jack's record quite yet. The year before he did win 5 times and might have won the Masters had he not hit that pin on 15 and incurred multiple penalty strokes. If he can stay healthy, I do think he'll overtake Sam Snead in the next couple of years, but Jack's major record is looking safer than it did a few years ago.

There's still a chance he can give Jack's record a run, but he better do it in the next 3-4 years IMO. And that's going to be even harder with Rory capable of winning B2B going away any time he gets hot. And then there's Bubba at the Masters, maybe even Phil has some magic left for a couple more runs at a jacket. And Adam, and Rickie, and Stenson and Rosie, and GMac at an Open, Kaymer the Machine and maybe even a one-off by a Mahan or Sergio. IMO it's never been harder to win a major as the number of quality players capable of winning a major seems deeper than ever before.

Tiger's wounded pride really got the best of him when it came to his back injury and his reputation (thanks to the '08 Open) of being invincible when it comes to pain and injury. Lower backs are not to be trifled with and he should have shut it down for the entire year last year. Now that back may be a ticking time bomb again. Sure he may have a good year or two straight without re-injuring or relatively pain-free, but the damage he may have done to his golf swing in various compensations he was making for the inability to swing with the same "explosion" and speed that he is obsessed with may take considerable time to overcome. Yes, you need to hit the ball a long way at the PGA and the Open, but you can still game plan your way around Augusta (just ask Zach Johnson) and most British Opens. But it looks like changing his chipping and pitching swing to match his stupid Foley swing is leading to inconsistent results around the green and perhaps building up mental scar tissue that Tiger has never really been prone to experience.

It will be interesting to see if he can return to form for long stretches and give himself multiple looks at majors. But I reckon we'll never seen the sustained dominant greatness we saw from Tiger in 2000, 2001, 2005 and 2009.

Last edited:
I still don't know who is playing in the event or even leading. I could probably get in my car and be there in less than 3 hours to see for myself before there's a post in this thread about a golfer other than Tiger.

Dude, the first tee time Friday isn't even until 11:20 E. And feel free to find another source for leaderboard updates. Google is a wonderful website. Try it. Here's another: http://www.pgatour.com/tournaments/hero-world-challenge/leaderboard.html

I still don't know who is playing in the event or even leading. I could probably get in my car and be there in less than 3 hours to see for myself before there's a post in this thread about a golfer other than Tiger.

Oh yeah, forgot about that young whippersnapper who's age belies his maturity, Mr. Jordan Spieth. He is the early leader at this silly season event (although it is a very nice field).

Kid has serious nut sack and a game that keeps things simple and minimizes stress. And he now seems to be hitting it longer and more consistently straighter. If his flawless bogey-free 63 at the Aussie Open to win is any indication, he may be in for a really good year this year.

Dude just came off a major back injury and is in the middle of a swing change in an event that means nothing. I wouldn't read much into it.

Agree with 94, the parity in golf right now is amazing. I mean Billy Horschel won the FedEx Cup. He's no journeyman but he's not Rory McIlroy either. The number of guys that can win the big tournaments feels like more than ever before.

Dude just came off a major back injury and is in the middle of a swing change in an event that means nothing. I wouldn't read much into it.

While this is true, how many times has this happened in his career? Coming off ____ surgery/injury, changing ( ) swing; ( ) coach; ( ) equipment; ( ) wife/girlfriend. Clock's ticking.

Agreed. His ball striking was actually not too bad. He had some bad luck on a few well struck shots. Plus he seems to have his distance back on the tee. I suspect his short game woes are merely rust. It's still amazing to see the best golfer of my generation flub 4 chip shots.

I'm at the point where I don't understand why people have strong opinions about Tiger one way or the other.

Do you really want to start an argument over when ratings are higher in golf - with or without Tiger? I'm glad the PGA was up from last year, and I hope the tour is trending towards not needing Tiger to get ratings. But, you found one tournament in the face of virtually every other tournament that's occurred over the last 15 years.

Bro, a waning Tiger who misses the cut isn't going to bring the ratings. This isn't 2004. Incidentally, that "one" tourney was a major with 6 guys not named Tiger within 4 shots after the turn. I'm not saying Tiger doesn't generate attention. This thread is proof. But the reality is, people are realizing (remembering) that golf- or any sport- is actually more enjoyable when the outcome isn't a foregone conclusion or a bogey can mean a 2 or 3 shot leaderboard swing on any given hole. People forget that golf was great to watch before Tiger and will still be here and great to watch when he's long gone.

I think a lot of people only pay attention if Tiger is involved. (Sort of like the ESPN golf coverage) But they're like people who only watch football when the Super Bowl is on. They really aren't golf fans, they are Tiger fans.

I think a lot of people only pay attention if Tiger is involved. (Sort of like the ESPN golf coverage) But they're like people who only watch football when the Super Bowl is on. They really aren't golf fans, they are Tiger fans.

Exactly. Like the dickheads who only watch the Super Bowl because of the halftime show. It doesn't really effect the true fans of the game except that media outlets, in order to appease and attract those viewers, start catering to them. So a Tiger who 8 shots back on Sunday is the talk of the day whereas the leaders might get the occasional mention.

Exactly. Like the dickheads who only watch the Super Bowl because of the halftime show. It doesn't really effect the true fans of the game except that media outlets, in order to appease and attract those viewers, start catering to them. So a Tiger who 8 shots back on Sunday is the talk of the day whereas the leaders might get the occasional mention.

Exactly. Because the networks know that you and I are watching regardless. I like watching golf even if the coverage annoys me. Casual fan....not so much.

In other news Jordan Spieth is crushing a star studded field at Isleworth. He's on fire for the last few weeks. Love watching him play

In other news Jordan Spieth is crushing a star studded field at Isleworth. He's on fire for the last few weeks. Love watching him play

Yeah. And it's kinda funny about him. He's long enough but not overly long. Solid iron player but not known 1 of the greatest iron players. And solid short game but he's not known as Ben Crenshaw or anything. But the total package is darned impressive, especially at his age. Of the majors, I like him most in the US Open and PGA.

Evidently Tiger hurled on the course today. For some reason I did not feel compelled to click on the link to the video footage.

Think he yacked yesterday.. Not sure about today.
And you're right about Spieth.. No one amazing skill but a lot of really really good ones.

Tiger blew chunks yesterday. Chunked three straight chips on 13 today.

Tiger blew chunks yesterday. Chunked three straight chips on 13 today.

How many chili dips did he have this week? Gotta be at least 7-8. That's gotta be the worst chipping week ever on the PGA tour. And I'm not buying the excuse that his new swing is affecting his chipping. But I still think he'll get the short game sorted out as he plays more competitive golf.

Back