• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What no Hero World Challenge thread?

Think he yacked yesterday.. Not sure about today.
And you're right about Spieth.. No one amazing skill but a lot of really really good ones.

He's a savant around the greens.

He's a savant around the greens.

I haven't looked but the last time I perused his tour numbers he was above average but not phenomenal in any one category. That could have certainly changed. And certainly the eye test says his short game is excellent. I love his game.

Funny, for a guy who "struggled" during the mid-summer months from the US Open on, Spieth still had an adjusted scoring avg of 69.75 going into the PGA. I know cuz I keep a spreadsheet for gambling purposes! ;)

Spieth was only hitting around 64% of GIR, but his scrambling remained pretty steady throughout around 63-65%, which ranked 5th on tour at the time.

The media needs to stop making him seem like milquetoast Tom Kite. His scrambling is already in another category.

Just looked up Spieth's 2014 stat rankings. He drives it 289.7, which is average, and hits 58.8% of his fairways, which is a little below average. He hits 62.5% GIR, a bit below average, averages 1.717 putts, which is really good, and his save average is 56.7% which is above average. Good numbers but only putting average would be considered great. But dude is the package, and the maturity for his age is off the charts.

By comparison, Rory has unreal driving distance, combined driving, GIR and putting numbers (putting is even below Spieth's) but a low save % under 50%.

Funny, for a guy who "struggled" during the mid-summer months from the US Open on, Spieth still had an adjusted scoring avg of 69.75 going into the PGA. I know cuz I keep a spreadsheet for gambling purposes! ;)

Spieth was only hitting around 64% of GIR, but his scrambling remained pretty steady throughout around 63-65%, which ranked 5th on tour at the time.

The media needs to stop making him seem like milquetoast Tom Kite. His scrambling is already in another category.

Milquetoast? I haven't seen that. The guy is a killer. Came out of college looking for wins. I think that is what really sets him apart.

Just looked up Spieth's 2014 stat rankings. He drives it 289.7, which is average, and hits 58.8% of his fairways, which is a little below average. He hits 62.5% GIR, a bit below average, averages 1.717 putts, which is really good, and his save average is 56.7% which is above average. Good numbers but only putting average would be considered great. But dude is the package, and the maturity for his age is off the charts.

By comparison, Rory has unreal driving distance, combined driving, GIR and putting numbers (putting is even below Spieth's) but a low save % under 50%.

He was 9th in scrambling from the rough and 13th in overall scrambling. Would be higher if not for his average sand play, which will probably improve over time. His SGP was top 20 and once he adds 5-10 yards with a natural progression of gaining strength, he will be really hard to fend off.

As for the "milquetoast" comment, I meant more in the sense that he doesn't get enough praise for what he does well. Always references to his "he doesn't do anything really well, just all-around solid" which is how folks always referred to Tom Kite.

Kite always struck me as a bit of a prick. One of my least favorite US golfers of the 80s-90s.

In Tiger's last 4 events he finished an average of 23 shots behind the leader. The average age of the winners in these events is 24.

Kite always struck me as a bit of a prick. One of my least favorite US golfers of the 80s-90s.

I'll never forget the time Kite cold topped his tee ball on a par three into a pond in the US Open. It was pretty damn funny.

#HOTTAKKES

Kite certainly was the epitome of boring. Have no idea if he was a prick or not, but when it comes to pricks, I'd much rather be in a golfing foxhole with a Raymond Floyd or even Lanny Wadkins when push came to shove.

Golf certainly could use more characters aside from Bubba, John Daly and Boo Weekley. Alas, much harder to be "unique" with today's media scrutiny.

I always liked Floyd. When he was hot and in contention in big tournaments, his eyes would double in size. The man could really roll it when he was on a roll. I liked Lanny too, mostly because of Wake. He's blunt and occasionally abrasive, but that didn't bother me, and he, like Raymond, was a tough as nails competitor. Don't consider either of them as pricks. But when I think back to the golfing pricks of the 80s-90s, I think of Kite and most of the Euros from that era (like Faldo, Monty, Seve, Olazabal...).

I always liked Floyd. When he was hot and in contention in big tournaments, his eyes would double in size. The man could really roll it when he was on a roll. I liked Lanny too, mostly because of Wake. He's blunt and occasionally abrasive, but that didn't bother me, and he, like Raymond, was a tough as nails competitor. Don't consider either of them as pricks. But when I think back to the golfing pricks of the 80s-90s, I think of Kite and most of the Euros from that era (like Faldo, Monty, Seve, Olazabal...).

Add Scott Hoch to the list of pricks.

Ya, I think Raymond gets a bad rap since he was so intense a competitor. In the extended conversations and other features he's done on the GC, he struck me as a pretty affable and genuine guy. Probably just too blunt or honest for some people's taste. Wasn't Lanny that way too, not afraid to tell you what he thought?

I can't help it though, I love Monty on the tee vee during majors, he cracks me up. He can be very self-deprecating and charming, while Faldo doesn't come across quite as well.

But the fact that those Euros you cited, and Raymond and Lanny and the quiet fury of Larry Nelson weren't renown at the time for what nice guys they were helped make them successful champions where as some of today's talented players perhaps are a bit too nice (Kuchar, Rickie, Adam, Stricker) to win the big one or multiple big ones. Will be interesting to see if Adam can win multiple majors; feel like he has the potential equal Els' and Lanny's 4.

I digress.

Ya, I think Raymond gets a bad rap since he was so intense a competitor. In the extended conversations and other features he's done on the GC, he struck me as a pretty affable and genuine guy. Probably just too blunt or honest for some people's taste. Wasn't Lanny that way too, not afraid to tell you what he thought?

I can't help it though, I love Monty on the tee vee during majors, he cracks me up. He can be very self-deprecating and charming, while Faldo doesn't come across quite as well.

But the fact that those Euros you cited, and Raymond and Lanny and the quiet fury of Larry Nelson weren't renown at the time for what nice guys they were helped make them successful champions where as some of today's talented players perhaps are a bit too nice (Kuchar, Rickie, Adam, Stricker) to win the big one or multiple big ones. Will be interesting to see if Adam can win multiple majors; feel like he has the potential equal Els' and Lanny's 4.

I digress.

How can you love Monty. He's a pompous horse's ass. The only thing to love about Monty was how he choked in majors. My 2 favorites were the double on 18 from the fairway at Winged Foot and his inability to get down in 2 at Congressional on #17 (now #18). At least Phil on 18 had a good excuse to double 18 - he was in the trees on the left and tried to go through them (as you would expect Phil to). Monty was in the middle of the fairway with a short iron and outright chunked it 20 yards short of the green. And then nearly skulled his chip over the green. And at Congressional a roar came up as he was ready to go, and he looked around all flustered like he was looking for someone to blame. You just knew he wasn't going to get it down in 2.

Back