• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WSJ on Manning Hire and [Redacted]

What other fan base worries as much about a mythical coach winning too much and leaving for a better job?

What Wake coach has ever won too much and left for a better job?

John Mackovic. And it still haunts older fans to this day.

The irony of it all is that he's an alum.

Winning will rally the fanbase. That's it. If we had hired Larranaga, we would be winning with an old coach and the fanbase would be excited.

Not hiring (or even considering?) Larranaga was a pretty horrible mistake, but the last 6+ seasons have changed the calculus. What Wellman should have done in 2010 and 2014 will no longer work for our next hire - whenever that is. I mean, how would we all feel if, in 3 months, Wellman announced the hiring of a 60 year old career lower-to-mid-major coach with a 0.575 winning percentage and a super flukey FF appearance (Larranaga in 2010)? That might have worked 7 years ago, but I think now we'd all say "WTF?".

He was .625 in 14 years at GMU. Even had four postseason appearances in the five years after the Final Four.

He was .625 in 14 years at GMU. Even had four postseason appearances in the five years after the Final Four.

I've already agreed that it was a mistake not to hire him, specifically in 2010. I just don't think that's the type of coach we want going forward.

If we can get a guy like that, we should take him

I promise to shut up about Miller for awhile. In exchange, go to a game and watch him. Hopefully it will be a close one because the last 2 minutes is when he shows his ball IQ.

#Ready4Wes

RE: Four Post Season appearances after Final Four- One was CBI in which he lost in the first round and another was an NIT bid. They also lost in the first round. He would have been a better hire than BZZ.

He was already at Miami when we hire Danny.

If that coach were 20 or 25 years younger than Larranaga was in 2010, then I agree. I just don't think we can afford to hire a coach right now that we know we'll have to replace based on age within the next decade. I think the only thing that could justify that would be the reasonable expectation of an ACC title or a Final Four, and there are no 60 year old coaches that can generate that expectation who are coming to Wake.

RE: Four Post Season appearances after Final Four- One was CBI in which he lost in the first round and another was an NIT bid. They also lost in the first round. He would have been a better hire than BZZ.

He was already at Miami when we hire Danny.

Speaking of post season & Final Four appearances, Ben Howland would have been another good one along with Larranaga!

Ben Howland hasn't done shit at Miss St, he's 12-4 against one of the weakest schedules in the country. They have losses to East Tennessee State, Lehigh, UCF, and Alabama.

Although my confidence has been shaken in Manning, I hold out some hope. That said, we've got to take a swing (and maybe a big miss) on a young guy if/when Manning doesn't work out. Miller, given his ties to Wake and relative success UNCG, would be a great option. He may not view us as an option after a year or two, however.

Although my confidence has been shaken in Manning, I hold out some hope. That said, we've got to take a swing (and maybe a big miss) on a young guy if/when Manning doesn't work out. Miller, given his ties to Wake and relative success UNCG, would be a great option. He may not view us as an option after a year or two, however.

Hofffffffffffffffd

Outside of a NCAA Tournament win, no one else is going to give Wes Miller a P5+Big East job for what he does at UNCG

The best Wes miller can hope for at a decent P5 school is to be an assistant. He's done nothing to earn a HC position. He has never been even an assistant at a P5 school. As of today, Wes Miller's record as a HC is 23 UNDER .500. Even if his family built a new on-campus Jerryworld-like arena, he would be a major. major, major stretch.

He has no ties to the higher echelon of recruiting. Thus, it's likely it would take him at least two years to ramp up to modest recruiting success.

He's probably a great guy and someday may become a top notch coach. We can't take that chance. We can't even think about taking such a chance.

RJ -- I'm not really arguing either way regarding Wes Miller but if a school was ever in a position to take a chance it is Wake. We have absolutely sucked now for almost 10 years.

RJ -- I'm not really arguing either way regarding Wes Miller but if a school was ever in a position to take a chance it is Wake. We have absolutely sucked now for almost 10 years.
We are currently taking a chance ron a coach who is one of the best NCAA players ever, who had a long NBA career, 2x NBA All-Star, from the Bill Self-Kansas coaching tree.

What other fan base worries as much about a mythical coach winning too much and leaving for a better job?

What Wake coach has ever won too much and left for a better job?

John Mackovic. And it still haunts older fans to this day.

The irony of it all is that he's an alum.

Cal Stoll preceded him, although he left to return to his alma mater.

Last edited:
Never looked at that 1970 ACC Champ schedule. Tough noncon. Weird season.

Back