• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WSJ on Manning Hire and [Redacted]

The AAC isn't a mid-major. The rest are better teams but not better jobs.

I'm all for Kelsey. But like Miller we have missed our shot. He almost got the GT job last year. Wellman gave him the same cold shoulder he gives his grandchildren at swim meets. Like Miller, he'll have a major job and be kicking our ass soon.

The AAC is mid major. But whatever. Kelsey and Miller will get AAC (and maybe ACC) offers this year or next.

Last edited:
That list is obviously too ridiculous to spend time nitpicking, but you realize we just hired the Tulsa coach right?

I'm all for Kelsey. But like Miller we have missed our shot. He almost got the GT job last year. Wellman gave him the same cold shoulder he gives his grandchildren at swim meets. Like Miller, he'll have a major job and be kicking our ass soon.

The AAC is mid major. But whatever. Kelsey and Miller will get AAC (and maybe ACC) offers this year or next.

The AAC is just the Big East football schools. The Big East wasn't mid-major, so the AAC shouldn't be.

Are you taking bets on this?

The AAC is just the Big East football schools. The Big East wasn't mid-major, so the AAC shouldn't be.

This is a pretty terrible argument because only 3 of the 12 current AAC schools were ever in the Big East. Seven of them joined the AAC from Conference USA, which is definitely a mid-major.

This is a pretty terrible argument because only 3 of the 12 current AAC schools were ever in the Big East. Seven of them joined the AAC from Conference USA, which is definitely a mid-major.

Four AAC teams were in the Big East. Either way they didn't drop to a mid-major.

Four AAC teams were in the Big East. Either way they didn't drop to a mid-major.

This just begs the question though. Two thirds of their conference is mid-major teams. Why didn't they drop to a mid-major? Just because you say so?

Mid major conferences typically don't have members winning national titles.

You all are watching the paint dry on semantics while we are missing this chance at Miller. If I was our AD, I'd be in discussions right now for Miller to take over after this year.

Wellman has this inner belief that it hurts you to fire after one or two years. That was true in 1995. Not now. When it's obvious it isn't going to work and you have a better option, you go with it. See Virginia Tech. You don't see them suffering or a backlash because they upgraded after a year. There are an entirely different set of rules in the Trump era and Wellman will not adopt them to our detriment.

If you were Wellman, you would hire someone you've known for a long time.

Do tell.

Yes I would. Since I actually pay attention to society.

Why would one not actually watch Miller coach before engaging in this discussion? I gave Wellman the benefit of the doubt on Manning and Bz falsely assuming he had seen tapes of them both. Then I watched in horror as they did nothing on the sidelines.

Last edited:

Why would one not actually watch Miller coach before engaging in this discussion? I gave Wellman the benefit of the doubt on Manning and Bz falsely assuming he had seen tapes of them both. Then I watched in horror as they did nothing on the sidelines.

Bzz tripped on his ties.

Buzz was not as bad x and o guy as Manning. Buzz half court offensive schemes were far better than Dino, just no one on the team could shoot. Buzz has little personality and couldn't recruit.

DM must have some one on one personal magnetism because it surely doesn't come across as far as I can see. I completely agree with DR. How could one watch these guys on the sidelines and interview them multiple times and make the move? Must mean there were zero other options. That may have been true in Wellman mind but I don't buy it.

You all are watching the paint dry on semantics while we are missing this chance at Miller. If I was our AD, I'd be in discussions right now for Miller to take over after this year.

Wellman has this inner belief that it hurts you to fire after one or two years. That was true in 1995. Not now. When it's obvious it isn't going to work and you have a better option, you go with it. See Virginia Tech. You don't see them suffering or a backlash because they upgraded after a year. There are an entirely different set of rules in the Trump era and Wellman will not adopt them to our detriment.

Putting the nonsense in bold aside, you're not objective on Miller.

No Wes Miller, no Pat Kelsey, no Chris Mack. We need somebody with no previous ties to Wake. Nobody from the Prosser coaching tree. Nobody with a kid already enrolled at MSD. And definitely not Miller (that's not a knock on him, just a recognition that he wouldn't be a good fit for obvious reasons).

I'm not ready to give up on Manning, but if/when another change is made, we need a totally fresh start across the board. Same goes for the leadership in the AD - no Wellman underlings when he finally retires, or we're just in for 30 more years of being below average in hoops.

Last edited:
Putting the nonsense in bold aside, you're not objective on Miller.

No Wes Miller, no Pat Kelsey, no Chris Mack. We need somebody with no previous ties to Wake. Nobody from the Prosser coaching tree. Nobody with a kid already enrolled at MSD. And definitely not Miller (that's not a knock on him, just a recognition that he wouldn't be a good fit for obvious reasons).

I'm not ready to give up on Manning, but if/when another change is made, we need a totally fresh start across the board. Same goes for the leadership in the AD - no Wellman underlings when he finally retires, or we're just in for 30 more years of being below average in hoops.

So like he did when he was a student-athlete, because his father loyally donates money to the school, Wes gets passed over and goes to Carolina and kicks our ass. Awesome. Great rules.

After hearing some of the rumors about Wellman swinging & missing in 2014 and the Larry Brown quote about Wake not being a good job, I wonder if we might need someone with Wake ties in order to get the best hire. That is, going outside of the family, so to speak, might mean a significant drop in quality because we're just not viewed as an attractive job any more.

Wes Miller up to 5 straight conference road wins. (that's more than we've had in 7 years COMBINED). He will enter the conference tournament in first (2nd time in his 4 years). Even if they don't win the tournament, he'll likely be getting a better job than ours in April. We missed our window.

Once in a lifetime opportunity to have a basketball coaching prodigy grow up before our eyes and have now missed that chance. Some guy from California (RJKarl) understandably wouldn't get it by looking a the numbers before now. But everyone who spoke to humans (not Wellman) around WF games the last 20 years watched it coming from a mile away. Too bad. He could have rescued us from the ditch Ron has thrown us in. But far worse, he was the one chance we had at a multi-decade run. This one will hurt in 2035.

Clearly he's this generation's John Wooden. Blank check time Ronnie!

DR, there have been coaches who aren't animated on the sidelines that are successful. This is a weak argument.

Back