• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Clawson

Brangus

Reaction score
Clawson is going to have to show a big increase in coaching ability next year to keep fan support. So far he's been unimpressive in more areas than questionable play calling, which can be partially blamed on lacking confidence in our brittle O-Line. But the lack of team composure and their "deer in the headlights" approach to the game...that is at least partially on the coach. I know how young the team is this year, but next year that excuse won't fly.

I wish we had some BGSU peeps here who could give us some non-box score reports on Clawson. I still feel good about the macro but there does seem to be some troubling issues on the field. We are really really young and I think it's a valid excuse but next year we need to play smarter. He's a big picture guy and years 3 and 4 are when his plan has come together in the past. I still have faith.

I love Coach Clawson's fire. He said he won't sleep after that tough loss and I believe him. The cupboard was mostly bare when he arrived. I agree that the o line is the major cause of our woes. The young talent he is bringing in is impressive. Claw will bring Deacon football back. His track record indicates that.

I love Coach Clawson's fire. He said he won't sleep after that tough loss and I believe him. The cupboard was mostly bare when he arrived. I agree that the o line is the major cause of our woes. The young talent he is bringing in is impressive. Claw will bring Deacon football back. His track record indicates that.

Elrod said as much last night on the radio. He said the coaches would like to be more varied with the run game with pitches and sweeps, but right now the play up front won't really allow it. He said running between the tackles at least minimizes the chance for losses and usually results on some type of gains at least. FWIW?

I completely agree that next year is a big year for Clawson, we should be much more improved and a pretty favorable schedule, not going bowling next year will be a disappointment I feel. That may be a year ahead of some people's opinion, but I think it's reasonable.

Blaming Clawson for 4 2nd half turnovers? Ok.

Blaming Clawson for 4 2nd half turnovers? Ok.

Both QB's had really bad nights throwing the ball, inaccurate on a lot of throws. Great plays by Lewis and Hines were responsible for the TD's, but at least I guess the those throws were good enough to allow them to make plays.

Both QB's had really bad nights throwing the ball, inaccurate on a lot of throws. Great plays by Lewis and Hines were responsible for the TD's, but at least I guess the those throws were good enough to allow them to make plays.

Wolfords pass was under thrown for no reason. If he leads him, Tabari doesn't have to go up for the ball against the opponent and doesn't slow him down to have to juke the defender. That play was all Tabari. Hintons pass was the only pass you could have made in the situation (well maybe an under thrown ball there would have been beneficial) but again that play was mostly Lewis. You gotta go with Hinton the rest of the way and the open up the competition at the end of the year.

The team did enough to take the lead back on three drives until turnovers. The tips were bad throws and something to work on both on throws and from WRs/TEs.

Still not sure how last night is an indictment of Clawson. Defense kept us in another game we shouldn't necessarily been in.

I don't love a 2 QB system and I'm not sure there was a rhyme or reason for who was in when. But at this point, get both guys as much PT as possible to gear up for next year.

The team did enough to take the lead back on three drives until turnovers. The tips were bad throws and something to work on both on throws and from WRs/TEs.

Still not sure how last night is an indictment of Clawson. Defense kept us in another game we shouldn't necessarily been in.

I don't love a 2 QB system and I'm not sure there was a rhyme or reason for who was in when. But at this point, get both guys as much PT as possible to gear up for next year.

Yeah I'm not sure Hinton wouldn't have been a better choice on the scoring opportunities in the 2nd half. At least gives us the chance at making a play with his legs to get us in better FG position or even in the end zone. Of course with the games coming up it's probably a question of who's going to still be walking.

Not gonna lie... I'm a bit worried. After the BC win I'd thought we'd use that momentum to win 2 more games. I believe this team has regressed. I'm not sure as to the amount coaching is to blame, but there is an obvious need for improvement.

With BC, Cuse, UVA, Delaware, Tulane, and Army at home next year we had better be in a bowl game.

Many have questioned the play calling on the last "drive" when we were down 1, in Louisville territory, and a FG likely wins the game. And the inability to get the ball to Serigne the past couple of games.

Discussing which QB should start is like arguing over the yellow lifeboat or the green lifeboat when the ship is sinking. Fran Tarkenton couldn't manufacture enough time to make plays behind our OL. With an average OL, the QB has a meaningful running game to use, and only has to make average plays within an average amount of time to be successful- great plays become explosive plays.

Our QBs have to make great plays in a tiny amount of time to be successful. Great plays become 7-8 yarders. Explosive plays require the other team to screw up.

We need a better OL, and until we get one we will continue to struggle, and the QBs and play calling will look bad.

Many have questioned the play calling on the last "drive" when we were down 1, in Louisville territory, and a FG likely wins the game. And the inability to get the ball to Serigne the past couple of games.

I wasn't a fan of the shot at the end zone in that situation, but how many times did we complain about Grobe playing so conservative in those situations? So, I would had Hinton in and at least had the possibility of him making a play with his feet and maybe tried to find Cam, but if Wolford doesn't make a bad throw and Brent makes a play or it falls incomplete I don't think it was that bad. What sucks so bad is being in position twice and not even getting FG try out of it.

Agree, and I was a huge critic of Grobe's conservative play calling in those situations. Not being able to run the ball in that situation (from RB or QB) hurts as well.

I missed the game last night. What are the in-game mistakes Clawson made that people are unhappy with?

Back