• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conditionally Pledging Money to the DC

AnonymousDeac

Reaction score
Does the Deacon Club allow people to conditionally pledge money? For example, I would like to conditionally pledge to donate $500 to the Deacon Club as long as [Redacted] does not start next season as our head coach.

If enough people made these conditional pledges, could it actually act as a catalyst for change? Nothing speaks louder than money.

Somebody needs to inquire about this. If we all did this and kept a record of it on the boards, then it would probably be more effective than a letter writing campaign.

Trying to "condition" firing a coach on a $500 contribution is laughable. What if every small-timer tried to "condition" personnel changes on chump change contributions?

Ramp it up to Phil Knight money and they might listen to you.

highly doubtful, unless you want to add several more zeros onto the end of that 500

Trying to "condition" firing a coach on a $500 contribution is laughable. What if every small-timer tried to "condition" personnel changes on chump change contributions?

Ramp it up to Phil Knight money and they might listen to you.

Of course there is no way I expect $500 to lead to [Redacted] being fired. However, we have a 1000+ members. If we could get a legit campaign started, all on this condition, not only would the money of course speak, but it would truly show people's discontent with the program.

Maybe additionally write a letter explaining your views but just saying, a large effort like this would speak far stronger than simply people bitching on a message board or even simply writing a letter.

Of course there is no way I expect $500 to lead to [Redacted] being fired. However, we have a 1000+ members. If we could get a legit campaign started, all on this condition, not only would the money of course speak, but it would truly show people's discontent with the program.

Maybe additionally write a letter explaining your views but just saying, a large effort like this would speak far stronger than simply people bitching on a message board or even simply writing a letter.

There's no chance the Deacon Club would campaign to general membership to raise a buy-out for a coach. That's a recipe for media disaster.

Why penalize the student-athletes and University as a whole because you disagree with a coaching hire? If you vehemently disagree enough to pull your support, give your tickets away to someone else and don't go to the games, but please don't stop supporting the school.

There's no chance the Deacon Club would campaign to general membership to raise a buy-out for a coach. That's a recipe for media disaster.

OGBoards =/= Deacon Club

You must be confusing OGB with the older boards.

Why penalize the student-athletes and University as a whole because you disagree with a coaching hire? If you vehemently disagree enough to pull your support, give your tickets away to someone else and don't go to the games, but please don't stop supporting the school.

Who says I am penalizing anyone? I graduated last year, live in DC, and attended every home football game this year besides Vandy with season tickets. I have also made significant donations (for me) to the Deacon Club in general, as well as bought my MCB tickets through Wake.

I have no plans to stop supporting the school or the DC, but I would however be inclined to potentially donate more if I was happy with the program. That sounds quite reasonable in my mind.

So 1000 people can't come up with $500 each? Why not 10,000 people with $50 each? Or 100,000 with $5 each. Come on guys, we can do this. It's just 5 dollars! Please send this thread to 1,000 people on your contact list, or your cat will die of feline Aids.

This thread is good for a much-needed laugh this morning, though. 1,000+ board members to pledge $500 if [Redacted] is fired? How many of those 1,000+ have pitched in even $5 to keep this board up and running?

I have a better idea, get a petition up to send to the Deacon Club of chatboard members who are going to hold their breath until [Redacted] is fired. That ought to get their attention.

ask for mr blue. i'll be right over here in the corner...

I told them last year that I wasn't giving them any money over the minimal dues to stay active until he is gone. I think withholding money until a condition is fulfilled has more of an immediate impact than promising to give more if a condition is fulfilled.

everybody needs to get used to the idea that we've got Buzz for at least four years

Buzz staying next year is definitely about $. We are stuck with him at least through next season.

Are we still paying Gaudio off his contract? If so, there is no way we fire Buzz this year while still owing $ on his deal, and have to pay 2 or 3 coaches for next year...especially given the fact that Grobe makes a huge salary.

As I said last year and several have said this year, one of the big reasons [Redacted] will not be fired until at least the end of next season (and probably not until the end of 3/14) is that it would make Wake Forest look like a terrible job to propsective coaches.

Major programs don't fire two coaches in three years. There is no chance [Redacted] is gone after this season (barring him taking a pro job) and a small chance he's gone after next.

Who want to be the next coach knowing how short a leash he would beon in W-S? A coach that would be good enough for us will have other offers and would not take ours.

Don't bother. We don't need your conditional giving. We need people who don't take prisoners or otherwise try to blackmail the Deacon Club.

I'll bet this conditional gift would be your very first donation.

Does the Deacon Club allow people to conditionally pledge money? For example, I would like to conditionally pledge to donate $500 to the Deacon Club as long as [Redacted] does not start next season as our head coach.

If enough people made these conditional pledges, could it actually act as a catalyst for change? Nothing speaks louder than money.

Major programs don't fire two coaches in three years. There is no chance [Redacted] is gone after this season (barring him taking a pro job) and a small chance he's gone after next.

Major programs don't hire Bzz in the first place. We've gotta hire someone to clean up his mess before we can worry about being a major program again.

And, as I've said multiple times...any potential coach can see and understand the reason we hired Dino, and they can tune into any Wake game and understand why Bzz needs to be fired. They've all got to believe they are far more capable than Bzz or they wouldn't be considering the job in the first place. Two firings won't have much to do with who we hire next.

Don't bother. We don't need your conditional giving. We need people who don't take prisoners or otherwise try to blackmail the Deacon Club.

yeah, give that "conditional gift" to a scholarship fund, or building fund, somewhere it's not going to be wasted on people who don't give a shit.

Professional fundraising strategist right here.

Back