• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conditionally Pledging Money to the DC

LOL. ... Trent Strickland's showoff blown dunk at a key point in our comeback against Duke that year remains one of the dumbest plays I have ever seen in a basketball game. ...[/I][/B]

I was in the building when that happened and I have never seen a game turn around so completely on one single play. It wasn't that Strickland tried to dunk the ball. There are fundamentally sound dunks and there are showboating "hey look at me, put me on Sportscenter" dunks and Trent tried to do the latter.

Sadly, that grandstanding fiasco embodied the entire Prosser-Gaudio Era, one in which the Wake program consistently demonstrated incredible athleticism undermined by narcissism and a total lack of on-court discipline.

I was in the building when that happened and I have never seen a game turn around so completely on one single play. It wasn't that Strickland tried to dunk the ball. There are fundamentally sound dunks and there are showboating "hey look at me, put me on Sportscenter" dunks and Trent tried to do the latter.

so true

if Strick had made the dunk, the joel would've reached one of its highest decibel levels ever. it would've definitely boosted the momentum. Hard to argue against that.

i don't think the decision to dunk, period, was the problem. It was a sloppy reverse attempt that just happened to fly right into JJ's hands. It was like a scripted moment.

he needed to do a reverse over-the head dunk. That would have cut the lead to three. Instead, Redick made a shot about 10 seconds later and the lead was back up to 7.

Work on your math skills. You appear to be out of practice.

That completely misses the point....and anyone with a 3rd grade education would know it. Nobody is claiming he shouldn't have dunked the ball.

What a stupid post.

Ha.

Was it a great play in hindsight? Hard to say, but probably not...if he had just made the 2 points, we may have won, we may have lost. If he had made the super-awesome-badass dunk, would it have been huge momentum boost for the crowd, the team, etc? Definitely. In neither case is the win guaranteed. I prefer to watch a style of basketball where that sort of dunk occurs. I'll give up the very rare negative game changer for all of the excitement that Trent brought on multiple other occasions.

Ha.

Was it a great play in hindsight? Hard to say, but probably not...if he had just made the 2 points, we may have won, we may have lost. If he had made the super-awesome-badass dunk, would it have been huge momentum boost for the crowd, the team, etc? Definitely. In neither case is the win guaranteed. I prefer to watch a style of basketball where that sort of dunk occurs. I'll give up the very rare negative game changer for all of the excitement that Trent brought on multiple other occasions.

There's not a single coach in the country who wants his players attempting reverse showboat dunks in a closely contested game. The difference between a two-handed 100% throw down and some reverse bullshit is non-existent.

This is why the board needs a function where you can tag a poster's profile with a little reminder, like "knows absolutely nothing about basketball" or "thinks Ari is a great team player" or "approved of the Strickland Reverse attempt" so you'll be reminded never to give and credence to their future posts.

If you want off-the-backboard 360 alley oops watch And1 mixtapes.

HOT SAUCEEEEEE

hotsauce12is.gif

There's not a single coach in the country who wants his players attempting reverse showboat dunks in a closely contested game. The difference between a two-handed 100% throw down and some reverse bullshit is non-existent.

This is why the board needs a function where you can tag a poster's profile with a little reminder, like "knows absolutely nothing about basketball" or "thinks Ari is a great team player" or "approved of the Strickland Reverse attempt" so you'll be reminded never to give and credence to their future posts.

If you want off-the-backboard 360 alley oops watch And1 mixtapes.

There are dozens of things players do each game that the coaches don't want them to do. Some work out, some don't. Some are net positives, some are net negatives. I never argued that Skip wanted Trent to attempt that dunk. Did you enjoy your trip to the straw man store?

The rest of your post is pure comedy as you continue to argue for giving Bzz a shot.

I rather enjoyed Rodney Roger's 360 dunk as a kid. There's plenty of place for that in the college game. The idea that you should never showboat is hilarious. Childress would certainly disagree.

Last edited:

Sadly, that grandstanding fiasco embodied the entire Prosser-Gaudio Era, one in which the Wake program consistently demonstrated incredible athleticism undermined by narcissism and a total lack of on-court discipline.

Do you even know what narcissism means? Because it doesn't apply in the context you're trying to use it in, at all.

It's hard to believe that you are trying to defend that move. Guess that's the difference between Bob Knight fans and Skip Prosser fans.

Man, this guy has you pegged.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/news?slug=pf-forde-minutes_teacher_coaches_011712
The number of young college basketball players who have learned lessons beyond defending the pick-and-roll from their college coaches is not small and should not be overlooked. But some also have seen a notable lack of grace under sideline pressure from berserk adults – quite a bit of it displayed recently.

It reinforces the double standard that often exists in college sports: When coaches behave like madmen, it’s because they’re “passionate” about their teams; when players behave poorly, they’re chastised for a lack of self-control and/or a lack of respect for the game.

One of the great ironies of college hoops was that Bob Knight famously demanded discipline of everyone but himself, and that has carried on at times among others in his profession, including a couple of notable instances of “life lessons” taught by “teacher-coaches” this month.

The elephant in the room here is the double standard for some between old white men and young black men.

There are dozens of things players do each game that the coaches don't want them to do. Some work out, some don't. Some are net positives, some are net negatives. I never argued that Skip wanted Trent to attempt that dunk. Did you enjoy your trip to the straw man store?

The rest of your post is pure comedy as you continue to argue for giving Bzz a shot.

I rather enjoyed Rodney Roger's 360 dunk as a kid. There's plenty of place for that in the college game. The idea that you should never showboat is hilarious. Childress would certainly disagree.

Got it. You're defending Trent's reverse dunk attempt. End of story. Childress would slap you in the face for using his name for something so idiotic.

Talk about strawmen - I didn't say players should never showboat. There's a time and a place, and that wasn't it. You don't understand that, and that's fine. Stupid as hell, but hey, you're not a big basketball guy so I guess it makes sense to you somehow.

Got it. You're defending Trent's reverse dunk attempt. End of story. Childress would slap you in the face for using his name for something so idiotic.

Childress would slap me in the face? Remind me to steer clear of Childress then...that would be a bit of a girly reaction to something so minimal.

We have the winning post here. Truer words were never spoken.

Disagree. Presented as evidence:

------------------------------------

It's hard to believe that you are trying to defend that move. Guess that's the difference between Bob Knight fans and Skip Prosser fans.

Man, this guy has you pegged.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/news?slug=pf-forde-minutes_teacher_coaches_011712
The number of young college basketball players who have learned lessons beyond defending the pick-and-roll from their college coaches is not small and should not be overlooked. But some also have seen a notable lack of grace under sideline pressure from berserk adults – quite a bit of it displayed recently.

It reinforces the double standard that often exists in college sports: When coaches behave like madmen, it’s because they’re “passionate” about their teams; when players behave poorly, they’re chastised for a lack of self-control and/or a lack of respect for the game.

One of the great ironies of college hoops was that Bob Knight famously demanded discipline of everyone but himself, and that has carried on at times among others in his profession, including a couple of notable instances of “life lessons” taught by “teacher-coaches” this month.

The elephant in the room here is the double standard for some between old white men and young black men.

You don't like finishing third in the conference in football?

You think 3rd place and a bowl loss is acceptable?

For me, 3rd place (or even a tie for 3rd in our division) does not meet my standards when the ACC SUCKED AT FOOTBALL LAST YEAR.

Our offense sucks, especially in the second half of the season against "good" teams. Hell, if it weren't for a miraculous individual athletic play by Givens, we would have been COMPLETELY shut down in the second half by DUKE. Completely dominated by Duke and thank god Givens rescued us on a freakin' screen pass.

Not to mention the Vandy disaster.

Speaking of showboating, you can't read this piece about JaVale McGee without laughing. Incredible.

"Following a game in which he performed a self-alley-oop, the Wizards forward was upbraided by his beleaguered coach, Flip Saunders. Here was McGee's response (via The Washington Post): "Apparently, if you get a fast break and throw it off the backboard in the third quarter, and you’re 1-11, you’re not supposed to do stuff like that." You just got Blatched, kid."

Back