• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conditionally Pledging Money to the DC

I'll give you props for getting the Zoolander reference, definitely didn't see that one coming.

COY is not objective. It's a popularity contest.

You'd lose RE:NCAAT wins...Skip won four NCAAT games...Tacy made two Elite8 and won games in each of his other appearances.

I knew both of them and liked both of them. Tacy was a better coach....

and no props for getting your Zoolander reference???

You get mad props, rj. Mad props. And props are best when angry.

At Xavier and Wake, Skip won six NCAA tourney games. At Marshall and Wake, Carl won five. Just the facts.

RJ has already addressed the fallacy of your COY argument. And the NCAA performances are obvious. With a diluted field like we have today, winning a 1st round game means very little when you are seeded fairly high. Tacy beat a 26-1 Arkansas team and a #1 Seed DePaul team, as well as Kansas....and reached two Elite Eights.

What were the best teams that Skip beat in the NCAA Tournament? Here are your choices: 10th seed Pepperdine, 15th seed East Tennessee State, 13th seed Virginia Commonwealth, 12th seed Manhattan & 15th seed Chattanooga. A 10th, 15th, 13th, 12th & 15th seed. In the entire time, never did he beat a single-digit seed in the NCAA Tournament. Only low-seed mid-majors.

SUBJECTIVE GOBBALYGOOK

No, we're talking about Prosser and Tacy. (By the way, I never claimed Prosser was a better coach than Tacy. I just said he'd beat him in a head-to-game at the Joel. Impossible to prove or disprove, really.)

More objective facts: Tacy was fired. Skip wasn't.

You get mad props, rj. Mad props. And props are best when angry.

At Xavier and Wake, Skip won six NCAA tourney games. At Marshall and Wake, Carl won five. Just the facts.

Wake career versus Wake career.

You can't compare early 1970s NCAAT to when Skip was HC. Plus he only coached one year at Marshall.

How many Elite 8s did Skip reach?

You know I really, really liked Skip as a coach and more as a man, but I saw them both coach. Skip was not as good a coach as Tacy.

Tacy was 6-14 in the ACCT.

One year when he made the final 8, Wake was 2-5 in its last 7 games. After letting the regular season title slip away in the final week by losing our last 3 regular season games, and then we lost in the 1st round of the ACC tournament to the worst team in the league. We almost didn't make the tournament.

"At times it is better to be silent and thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt."

WHOA. IRRELEVANT MARK TWAIN QUOTES. LET'S SEE HERE ...

"There are lies, damned lies and statistics."

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right."

"When red-haired people are above a certain social grade their hair is auburn."

"BobKnightFan is a dolt."

Richard Williams made the Sweet 16 and the Final Four at Mississippi State and is now an Asst Coach at Arkansas State.

To me, overall performance is more important than the results of one game, which can be influenced by luck.

If Childress doesn't get hurt and that Ok State bastard doesn't bank in a 3 pointer, we very well could win the national championship that year. Doesn't change what a great coaching job Odom did.

Tacy was a good coach, but he didn't like recruiting and his teams were always plagued with inconsistency. But they did get hot during a couple of NCAA tourneys and won a couple of games.

BTW, Tacy did lose to a lower seeded team in BC in 81.

As to whether any of Tacy's teams could have beaten Skip's best team, that would have been a hell of a game.

I forget who our fifth start was but our other four could have played in 2005:

Kenny Green
Frank Johnson
Delaney Rudd
Anthony Teachey

6th man - Muggsy Bogues

You really are dense, aren't you? You act like I haven't read your 5,000 posts on the topic. I'm prodding you because you're an old man emo.

Irish -here's how I'd look at the matchups of the starts of Tacy's best team versus Skip's-

PG - CP3 vs. Danny Young - two absolute stars- CP3 was better

SG- Justin vs. Delaney Rudd- Rudd was much better and could have easily played in 2005

SG/SF- Taron vs. Mark Cline- Taron is much quicker but he'd have the same problem with Cline that he had with Carroll from St. Joe's., He's just too tall

PF - Jamaal vs. Kenny Green -I love Jamaal but Kenny green was much better and was a "freak" for that time physically. Advantage Green

C- Eric vs. Teachey - Next to Tim, Teachey was the best defensive big man we've had since the mid-60s. At a legit 6'9/10 with very long arms, he would have given Eric fits. Hsi ability to hit the 15' J woudl tkae the new team's only rebounder away from the basket.

83/84 should have won the game.

I am old. HEAR ME ROARR *cough cough cough* Is K&W still open? I want some applesauce.

No, you're just not man enough to admit it when you make an incorrect statement, but rather try to spin it into something else...like you just did...again....in this last post. You say that Tacy was fired, then you say that he "technically" resigned, now you say you are just "prodding" me. Anything but just admitting that you didn't know what the hell you were talking about.

Bob, do you honestly think there's any poster on this forum that doesn't know what happened to Tacy, and how he was wronged, given the proclivity with which you post on the matter? I'll admit to having learned a lot about it from you ... four freaking years ago. Take a step back and conduct some self-analysis. Then take a deep, deep breath. Then come back. We'll still be here.

Will you be there? Or does the time interfere with a showing of The Andy Griffith Show or Matlock on that weird and mystical moving picture box?

You continue to make unquantifiable subjective statements that are meaningless to the point. Do I think today's athletes are bigger & stronger? Most likely, yes. Do I think strategy & techniques are better today? Definitely not. Carl Tacy would "out-strategy" Skip Prosser any day in the week. If he can out-coach Dean Smith, with his superior personnel, he can out-coach Skip Prosser. I assure you. Do I think Skip deserves credit for his coaching job in 2003? Certainly! Do I think Skip Prosser was a wonderful human being....one of the finest to ever represent Wake Forest? Again, most certainly! His premature death was a tragedy...for Wake Forest, for the community, for mankind. He was a wonderful person. I just don't think he was all that great of a coach.

It seems to me that if you want to compare coaches, you have to compare accomplishments in like areas. Beating teams ranked ahead of you is one very good indication of coaching. As I said, Carl Tacy won more than 20 games at Wake Forest against teams that were ranked in the Top 10. I've asked the question of how many such wins did Skip have....but to date have received no answer.

For the record Skip had 5 of those such wins. What's the exact number that Tacy won?

Last edited:
As to whether any of Tacy's teams could have beaten Skip's best team, that would have been a hell of a game.

I forget who our fifth start was but our other four could have played in 2005:

Kenny Green
Frank Johnson
Delaney Rudd
Anthony Teachey

6th man - Muggsy Bogues

RJ, can't remember Frank Johnson playing with these guys. The great 1984 team of Carl Tacy had starters of Danny Young, Delaney Rudd, Kenny Green, Anthony Teachey & Mark Cline. Muggsey Bogues, Lee Garber, John Toms & Chuck Kepley were the key reserves.

That was a fun year and I got to work about 35 of Tacy's practices. Still have the signed basketball in my office. Freidinger & Herb Kruesen were assistants

IIRC it was Frank & the Four Freshman a few years earlier that had Jim Johnstone, Mike Helms, Alvis Roger & Guy Morgan

Back