• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conditionally Pledging Money to the DC

That makes sense. Your first post did not. Thanks for double-checking.

My apologies.

I knew they were close from a thread a while back, but last year was rock bottom in pretty much every way imaginable.

I'm going to assume you're talking about ATT

1. AFA played up to his expectations, and did alot for his team.
2. Tony Woods was only a blight on the program for a short summer.
3. Ty Walker might have been a team cancer at 1 point, but he certainly isn't the first highly recruited bust.

IMO, this is what turned the program down:
1. Dino's inability to recruit a point guard to replace Jeff and Ish
2. The timing of Dino's firing/Tony Wood's scandal
3. The lack of any veteran talent or presence on our team last season, which is commonly known in recruiting as a "bridge year".

Yea I agree with this completely. Don't know what it was but Dino/Skip relied heavily on their recruiting (who doesn't, I know) but they just didn't have any upper classmen that were ready to be at least a steadying figure on the WF team last year. I give props to Gary as he played about as well as his skill set would allow but you need more than one kid that has maxed himself out and can take some pressure off the more talented younger guys.

My apologies.

I knew they were close from a thread a while back, but last year was rock bottom in pretty much every way imaginable.

I'm gonna guess that attendance will be even lower on average this season.

I'm gonna guess that attendance will be even lower on average this season.

Probably right, but the point remains. Attendance is a lagging indicator. Winning is what matters. All this "well with Prosser the Joel was always full" stuff is window dressing.

Fans come to watch players. They come to watch wins. Nobody really cares if the coach is a drinking buddy type that rallies the students in the Pit or if it's a geek with statistics computers on the sidelines who has a lisp, or if it's a guy in a hoodie who doesn't say a word.

Best crowds I ever saw at Wake were for Tim Duncan and Chris Paul. Those couldn't have been two more opposite coaches.

Oh, I completely agree with you in general. I just know the crowds I'm seeing this year are much worse than I saw last year.

Probably right, but the point remains. Attendance is a lagging indicator. Winning is what matters. All this "well with Prosser the Joel was always full" stuff is window dressing.

Fans come to watch players. They come to watch wins. Nobody really cares if the coach is a drinking buddy type that rallies the students in the Pit or if it's a geek with statistics computers on the sidelines who has a lisp, or if it's a guy in a hoodie who doesn't say a word.

Best crowds I ever saw at Wake were for Tim Duncan and Chris Paul. Those couldn't have been two more opposite coaches.

I think the students definitely care, especially the ones connecting (or not connecting) with the HC on a personal level. Can have a lasting impact on how that individual relates to their alma mater and the basketball program specifically.

For the other 98%, I agree w/ you.

I think the students definitely care, especially the ones connecting (or not connecting) with the HC on a personal level. Can have a lasting impact on how that individual relates to their alma mater and the basketball program specifically.

For the other 98%, I agree w/ you.

I mean, I loved it when Skip was active on campus. I didn't like how distant Odom seemed.

But if a bowling ball could sit in a chair and take us to the Final Four, I will go with the bowling ball along with 99.9999% of the fans of Wake Forest.

Actually a good percentage might currently go with bowling ball.

Winning certainly fills the seats. And apathy certainly empties them. Even at the lowest point in Skip's career at Wake, most everyone I know had hope for the future. There's no comparison to the current situation. I can count the number of Wake fans I've personally talked to in the last month who are ok with the direction our basketball team is headed on less than one finger.

Attendance #'s are BS anyway. I trust what I see from the stands, what I see on TV, and what I hear from the fan base a lot more. The 9000 vs 10000 average argument is nonsense when you see some of the attendance figures that have been released for this season alone. Those numbers are propped up when they need to be.

This has nothing do with whether the coach hangs with kids on campus and everything to do with the kind of confidence he inspires in the fanbase as a whole.

I mean, I loved it when Skip was active on campus. I didn't like how distant Odom seemed.

But if a bowling ball could sit in a chair and take us to the Final Four, I will go with the bowling ball along with 99.9999% of the fans of Wake Forest.

Actually a good percentage might currently go with bowling ball.

I would. But only THIS bowling ball.

kingpin+combover+.jpg

I don't know what I would think about a pregame "see you on the quad at midnight" email from Bzz.

Were you out of the country during the 2005-06 & 2006-07 seasons? Those were Skip's last two teams. They finished last (12th) and next to last (11th) in the conference.....with an 8-24 ACC record.

I remember a lot of upset Deac fans, and Prosser had begun to recruit out of that. I believe he even said days before his death, that Wake would be good again. I can't say that or believe that with Bzz at the helm. But, I believed that with Skip at the helm, and the class of ATT a year away.

I also don't remember the Joel being completely empty during those 2 years - like they are now. Tie Dye Nation was still following Skip.
Tie Dye Nation is currently on a milk carton now.

How many teams were in the tournament when Tacy was coaching?

I'm down for $100 bucks if we can get a new HC in hoops.

Another $100 for a new OC in football.

Oh yeah, Tacy, Odom and Skip were all good coaches. Different, but all GOOD at their jobs - we were lucky to have all 3.

Questioned for good reason. Blindly copied a blog entry. Going by the NCAA site, I'm right about us not coming close to "filling the Joel" during Prosser's last year at 10k/game. [Redacted]'s first year was just over 9k a game. Both are bad.

The 2004 and 2005 seasons averaged around 14k.

According to the NCAA site we filled every home game in 2006 despite going 3-13 in conference play including a game New Years Day against East Carolina. link

I believe that's for the prior season. 2006 stats are for the 2005/2006 season. I'm referring to Prosser's last year which was the 2006/2007 season and is in the 2007 stats.

How much do you guys think Buzz's contract is worth? What kind of payout is Wake looking at if we have to break it?

I hope Wellman was smart enough to make the terms favorable for Wake, but who knows. He could have really fucked us and locked us into a contract with this bozo.

Back