• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conditionally Pledging Money to the DC

RJ, can't remember Frank Johnson playing with these guys. The great 1984 team of Carl Tacy had starters of Danny Young, Delaney Rudd, Kenny Green, Anthony Teachey & Mark Cline. Muggsey Bogues, Lee Garber, John Toms & Chuck Kepley were the key reserves.

WTF are you talking about? Frank was on my list right below Kenny Green.

That was a fun year and I got to work about 35 of Tacy's practices. Still have the signed basketball in my office. Freidinger & Herb Kruesen were assistants

IIRC it was Frank & the Four Freshman a few years earlier that had Jim Johnstone, Mike Helms, Alvis Roger & Guy Morgan

RJ, can't remember Frank Johnson playing with these guys. The great 1984 team of Carl Tacy had starters of Danny Young, Delaney Rudd, Kenny Green, Anthony Teachey & Mark Cline. Muggsey Bogues, Lee Garber, John Toms & Chuck Kepley were the key reserves.

That was a fun year and I got to work about 35 of Tacy's practices. Still have the signed basketball in my office. Freidinger & Herb Kruesen were assistants

IIRC it was Frank & the Four Freshman a few years earlier that had Jim Johnstone, Mike Helms, Alvis Roger & Guy Morgan

Correct. It was the Johnstone, Morgan team that lost the heart breaker to Memphis State and Keith Lee in the old Charlotte Coliseum on Independence Drive. Wake led most of the game and lost the lead in the last 3-4 minutes. I was a young kid but that loss was one of the most crushing I can recall in b'ball. We had Memphis on the ropes and let them loose.

Danny Young, Rudd, Green, Teachey and Cline retired Meyer. And were on track to defeat Houston had Dulaney Rudd not fumbled the ball out of bounds. Very possible it could have been a Wake/NCSU final for the championship.

Last edited:
I guess not....but what you have to understand is that from the time I was 11 years old, Wake Forest basketball was the most important thing in my life. Wake Forest basketball had no more loyal or rabid fan than me. How many WF fans do you know that were so upset after a WF loss that they walked 13 miles after the game ended? It began with Bones McKinney. Two years of rebuilding, then 5 straight ACC Tournament finals, along with an Elite Eight & a Final Four. Then WF basketball went back into the dark age for eight years until Carl Tacy arrived & made Wake Forest basketball relevant again...with a monumental effort against all odds, until we were once again a national player in college basketball....and then Gene Hooks ruined that 28-year love affair that I had had with Wake Forest basketball by stabbing Carl in the back, after all he had done for the school. I will never get over that. Ever.

I can understand and respect all of that, even if I don't agree with your decision. I'm just trying to point out that everything you read about Prosser and his teams here (run n gun, no coaching, loose and reckless, etc.) isn't entirely true - what he did in 2003 was impressive under any definition of the word. Was he as good a coach as Tacy? Not on game day, probably. But I'll argue until my dying day that he was more than capable of getting us to the Final Four because of his recruiting, ability to channel his ambition into others and intangible leadership ability. Just as I could stand to learn a lot about Tacy's teams, I hope you'll listen to people not named Reff, keeper and Ph about Prosser's teams, especially his earlier ones.

You are correct. A #4 vs #5, I think it was. My mistake. I overlooked that one. BC had that little fat guard that scored about 30 points that day. Forgot his name. Bagley, it might have been, or something like that.

Definitely Bagley. I believe his name was John Bagley.

Tony Rutland wasn't on that team. You're probably thinking of Delaney Rudd. And that was 1984. NC State won the title in 1983.

(We could've had a WF vs UNC game for the NCAA Championship in 1977, though, if we could have held on in the 2nd half and beaten Marquette in Oklahoma City at The Myriad. (I was there, sat with Cook & Julie Griffin for that game.) We would have played UNC-Charlotte in the semi-final in Atlanta (whom we had already beaten that year) and then Carolina for the championship (whom we had already beaten twice that year.)

Shit. My bad. I know better than Rutland. I meant Rudd. Tired.

Skip went all-in (naively, I would suggest) on CP3 and got burned. I think he learned from that and would have been a better coach for it.

Unfortunately, we will never truly know. I just know that I miss him terribly.

Irish you lost focus....go back a page to see the matchups...

Skip went all-in (naively, I would suggest) on CP3 and got burned. I think he learned from that and would have been a better coach for it.

Unfortunately, we will never truly know. I just know that I miss him terribly.

Not on CP3, he was already here and Skip knew he would not stay all four years, although he did think he would have him for a 3rd year.

Skip went all-in on Mike Conley. That's who burned him, very, very badly.

Tact would have been an awesome guthridge like 1st assistant. Great coach I. A horrible building. He did not do much to generate excitement. Never ever saw him on campus

Kenny green probably was the last straw for him. Million dollar talent ten cent head

Fair enough, though I've never really found much to disagree with keeper about regarding WF sports. I think his political views suck (and I sure he feels the same about mine), but I've always respected his views concerning WF sports. I'm not as familiar with The Reff's or PH's views on WF sports.....but here again, I can't say that I've really seen very much from The Reff that I have disagreed with....and I wouldn't know the guy if he walked in the door.

Basketball today really isn't even worth arguing about anyway, in my opinion. One & two-year players have killed all my interest in the game (along with Bob Knight's retirement). I tried to get interested in WF basketball again in 2005 & 2006. Went to the Carolina game in Jan, '05 when we hit the 32 straight FTs. That was the first one I had been to since Carl left after the '85 season. Then I bought season tickets for the 2005-06 season. Big mistake! That team was one of the most disgusting things I had ever seen on a basketball court. After watching Bob Knight's disciplined, focused, basketball-savvy Indiana teams for 20 years, I wasn't ready for the sloppy, no effort, no defense, no game plan crap that Skip put on the floor that year. If one of Bob Knight's teams pulled that kind of crap they would have soon regretted it.

Would Bob have:
a) beaten them
b) thrown a chair at them
c) choked them

Want to do a quick comparison between the number of dunks that have ruined a comeback vs. the number that have sparked and inspired?

Want to do a quick comparison between the number of dunks that have ruined a comeback vs. the number that have sparked and inspired?

there is only one I need to remember.

Trent Strickland passes it off the rim to JJ Redick who buries a 3 Pointer. End of the season.

That settles it...no more dunking.

bobknight/blackgold would be happy

4346691574_d9baaff500.jpg

Back