• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conditionally Pledging Money to the DC

Don't bother. We don't need your conditional giving. We need people who don't take prisoners or otherwise try to blackmail the Deacon Club.

I'll bet this conditional gift would be your very first donation.

We get it...you're Wellman's buddy.

No need for conditional giving, my family has simply slashed their donations and stopped buying basketball tickets all together.

Major programs don't hire Bzz in the first place. We've gotta hire someone to clean up his mess before we can worry about being a major program again.

And, as I've said multiple times...any potential coach can see and understand the reason we hired Dino, and they can tune into any Wake game and understand why Bzz needs to be fired. They've all got to believe they are far more capable than Bzz or they wouldn't be considering the job in the first place. Two firings won't have much to do with who we hire next.

You couldn't be more wrong.

Top level hires have a choice of positions. They will see two firings and say, "I'll take the other job where they will give me a chance to show how good I am."

No top coach will risk their future on a key injury or the current group not buying into his style.

Remebmer if we fire [Redacted] after this year, the new guy only has two scholarships to off in his first year.

You couldn't be more wrong.

Top level hires have a choice of positions. They will see two firings and say, "I'll take the other job where they will give me a chance to show how good I am."

No top coach will risk their future on a key injury or the current group not buying into his style.

Remebmer if we fire [Redacted] after this year, the new guy only has two scholarships to off in his first year.

Plenty of coaches would be willing to take over. There is generally lots of roster turnover in coaching changes, and the scholarship situation would work itself out. We may have to hire another up and coming coach, but hopefully they'll be charismatic, encouraging, and not 60 years old.

There are two realities here. First barring something amazingly bizarre, [Redacted] is not getting fired at the end of this year. So you might as well give up on that happening. Second if he does, we won't get the coach of our choice as the top guys won't want our job.

The Deacon Club has been responding to complaints = Bzz will not be going anywhere, unless the team goes 1-15 again in the ACC. Wake cannot afford to have 3 coaches on payroll, and Wellman wants to give Bzz a chance with the new recruits, next year.

I think Wake is staring at .500 seasons at best for the next 5 to 7 years, and hopefully an NIT bid or two. In the end, its the kids that suffer, and they will miss out on what Wake basketball had become before Skip's death.

The Deacon Club has been responding to complaints = Bzz will not be going anywhere, unless the team goes 1-15 again in the ACC. Wake cannot afford to have 3 coaches on payroll, and Wellman wants to give Bzz a chance with the new recruits, next year.

I think Wake is staring at .500 seasons at best for the next 5 to 7 years, and hopefully an NIT bid or two. In the end, its the kids that suffer, and they will miss out on what Wake basketball had become before Skip's death.

If in the next two years we don't get to twenty wins, [Redacted]'s contract will not be renewed and those projections are totally out the window.

If in the next two years we don't get to twenty wins, [Redacted]'s contract will not be renewed and those projections are totally out the window.

HAHAHAHAAHAHAHA! 20 wins?!?!?! That makes me feel better. No way Bzz is in here in 2 years, says Mr. RJKarl. GOOD NEWS!
I was thinking 15-14, 16-15, 13-17.......

It's nice to have threads that show how ridiculous some of our posters are.

Outside of landing one of the top 10 coaches in the country, firing [Redacted] after 2 years despite his entire role being to rebuild the program - on the heels of firing Dino after a short stint as well, would basically signal to the entire basketball world that Wake was a panic-stricken, dead program years away from any sort of relevance. We'd likely lose recruits, the media would be uniformly critical, Wellman would have to resign, and we'd be starting over from nothing.

Maybe it's a different story if we didn't have an excellent recruiting class coming in. Maybe it would be different if [Redacted] was given any sort of front court to play with and he wasted a bunch of NBA talent. Maybe it would be different if [Redacted]'s charter wasn't to rebuild the culture of our basketball program.

This is a conversation for next year.

Outside of landing one of the top 10 coaches in the country, firing [Redacted] after 2 years despite his entire role being to rebuild the program - on the heels of firing Dino after a short stint as well, would basically signal to the entire basketball world that Wake was a panic-stricken, dead program years away from any sort of relevance. We'd likely lose recruits, the media would be uniformly critical, Wellman would have to resign, and we'd be starting over from nothing.
Maybe it's a different story if we didn't have an excellent recruiting class coming in. Maybe it would be different if [Redacted] was given any sort of front court to play with and he wasted a bunch of NBA talent. Maybe it would be different if [Redacted]'s charter wasn't to rebuild the culture of our basketball program.

ABSOLUTE BINGO!!!

ABSOLUTE BINGO!!!

DorianGray_bingo.jpg

When I hire someone to build me a wall, and they just keep digging a hole, waiting two years for the hole to get deeper is not the quickest way to get my wall built. A 10 foot wall doesn't need a 20 foot foundation. We don't need to hire a master mason...we just need to hire someone who knows the difference between digging a hole and actually building a wall.

I don't understand the ability of some fans to remove Bzz from any responsibility for the mess we are in. The revisionist history that we were an absolute mess before Bzz showed up is absurd.

When I hire someone to build me a wall, and they just keep digging a hole, waiting two years for the hole to get deeper is not the quickest way to get my wall built. A 10 foot wall doesn't need a 20 foot foundation. We don't need to hire a master mason...we just need to hire someone who knows the difference between digging a hole and actually building a wall.

This kind of thinknig would make the problem worse and prolong it for another five or more years. The person who replaces [Redacted] needs to be a star and someone we expect to WIN and STAY.
Once again you couldn't be more wrong.

I don't understand the ability of some fans to remove Bzz from any responsibility for the mess we are in. The revisionist history that we were an absolute mess before Bzz showed up is absurd.

I have never seen a single person who posts here reflecting like you allege.

"Plenty of coaches would be willing to take over"

This rationale worked so well after Dino was canned when Bzz was 4th choice (at best).

I'm sure if Bzz is fired after two seasons the quality coaches will be lined up outside Ron's door begging for an interview.

Disagree. Make an offer to Danny Hurley, and the recruits will still come, as well as the respect that comes from outsiders, it would show that Wake would be trying to correct a massive mistake in hiring Bzz. You don't think the media is critcial now? WAKE is the JOKE of the ACC! Losing by 96 points in 3 games vs crappy NC State, is about as low as you can go.

Bring in a coach who will recruit and coach with PASSION, and nip in the bud, 4 more seasons of average to terrible basketball. Staying with Bzz, will only continue to drag the program down, and bring more embarrassing blowouts like the one on Saturday. I have a fear that Wellman will always find a way to keep Bzz, after just a modicum of improvement on a year to year basis. If his job, like you implied, depends on Bzz's results.

Wellman would have to admit his mistake. If he had to resign, I am fine with it. It was his call, and he flubbed it. Not sure why so many on here think that Wellman is untouchable?? He has done great things for Wake, and also made some horrible hires as well. Right now, Wake athletics is as low as it has been in 15 years.

Then go out and get John Curry at Kansas State, and we will have a new age of WFU athletics.

"Plenty of coaches would be willing to take over"

This rationale worked so well after Dino was canned when Bzz was 4th choice (at best).

I'm sure if Bzz is fired after two seasons the quality coaches will be lined up outside Ron's door begging for an interview.

So we fired a coach coming off a 20 win, NCAA tournament season, and you were surprised that coaches turned us down? That situation is relevant to firing a coach after possibly the worst ACC season in history, terrible press, roster turmoil, frequent embarrassing home losses, and general coaching ineptitude?

Have you read anything about us in the media that wasn't fed to you from the Deacon Club? Outside of W-S, no one understood why we fired Dino when we did. On top of that, every article about Wake on ESPN questions how long Bzz will keep his job. The few closely surrounding the program are the only people in the nation confident in his job security. Don't you wonder why that is?

Last edited:
So we fired a coach coming off a 20 win, NCAA tournament season, and you were surprised that coaches turned us down? That situation is relevant to firing a coach after possibly the worst ACC season in history, terrible press, roster turmoil, frequent embarrassing home losses, and general coaching ineptitude?

Wellman swung for the fences and missed. Then he had to settle.

Maybe it's a different story if we didn't have an excellent recruiting class coming in. (Keeping a coach for recruiting is never a good idea, see Gaudio, Dino. If we hired someone qualified, most would stay anyway). Maybe it would be different if [Redacted] was given any sort of front court to play with and he wasted a bunch of NBA talent (You don't need NBA talent to be Wofford, Stetson, Presby, UNCW, etc.). Maybe it would be different if [Redacted]'s charter wasn't to rebuild the culture of our basketball program. (You really bought that?)
This is a conversation for next year. (But next year we'll be young!)

Comments added

Back