• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Best purchases/investments you've ever made

TownieDeac

words are futile devices
Reaction score
I felt like we had this thread on this board before, but did a lot of searching and couldn't find it. Here are some of mine:

02-5g9dj27ZzuP_cLKHoU_CSA90Wx3AJdd6BFpZfMByclOLp5FA86A-JUTG5iGMKrdE7W3CQIkrd7gjRwIcl8nFlAWBrsJl34QdhAObzyq7suLwyl-I50oMa8gVxaWJMai2VC59roZ2DACRePANWp3GP9hGzNMRjbfXf1t5LFcqiQNuIupDj6gOaRG3XwQO2O4uQECF4PqzOiTkPgA9hNAh9rRRi672-NeuE4t9p0qU5lovi8xeyRQW3Ctq3uqStLzoilzUpyRJrow6OMD8ldtbMYTR4S3m0RRJVbKkYRn9b58TjEat04TeH9lBbXyKxYhPoe5tvz45Dd9DbH0Q4pFSf

$20 for a water bottle seems like a lot, but I use it every single day, both for hot coffee and ice water. I also bought a lifetime warranty for $5, so I will have it foreva. I also own the Brita water bottle, which I love. For someone who drinks a TON of water, this is crucial.

cWFwsNeHtMuxCWMwCTPc7lSbAh5j-yKM3x6YpVZx5LaKtXjn4tnSfN0w6eHIeCNxYFrFhynT_DCLPxjreKMcLAL1cnFXnHQE4JcF-NPUw7BvLyEzvNu85K7Qcu57TUcPCMcySFjz2Wiy0TXhiRLR3BOQ6qwjM3LYLs4lkjH-QvV2q3564NtwFPiCGvzkyJkj4wpqghkclBpGnNoX5Zg8vLTzTi8

$60ish for this (used), and I also use it every day. It has saved me hundreds on lunch meat, because we just roast chicken/turkey/beef on Sunday and eat sandwiches for at least a week with it.

And I don't have a pic of it, but a tire repair kit + air compressor has saved me tows on 3 occasions now (twice when my spare blew; once on the very busy Verrazzano Bridge outside of Brooklyn).

So, whaddya got? Anybody buy Apple stock in 1980 or anything?

my Iphone is pretty sweet

When I was a kid I was playing at my neighbors house when he busted out a window with a rock. He turned to me and said, ill do anything for you to tell my parents it wasn't me. I said ok, sell me your dads autographed Reggie Miller rookie card for 5.00 and its a deal. He ran and got it out of the basement and the deal went through, I still have it to this day. Looking back, I feel pretty bad about it, cant believe I said 5.00 and not free.

When I was a kid I was playing at my neighbors house when he busted out a window with a rock. He turned to me and said, ill do anything for you to tell my parents it wasn't me. I said ok, sell me your dads autographed Reggie Miller rookie card for 5.00 and its a deal. He ran and got it out of the basement and the deal went through, I still have it to this day. Looking back, I feel pretty bad about it, cant believe I said 5.00 and not free.

There was a slow kid (dumb not fat) in my 2nd grade class that I traded a couple of crappy common Donruss cards for a Chris Sabo rookie. At the time I prob made like 8 bucks off the deal.

Feel bad about that one

My house. It's an old house in a great neighborhood, prior owner spent beaux coup dollars on a big kitchen renovation, new master suite, etc. He completed said renovations right before the crash in 2008 and put it on the market right after Lehman fell. It sat on the market for over a year until I made a low-ball offer. I had to put some more money into it to finish some renovations he should have done but there's no way I should have been able to buy a fully-renovated house in this neighborhood for that price.

swiss army knife keychain with knife, screwdriver and bottle opener. i use it almost every day.

Petzl Headlamp with red light plate.

http://www.rei.com/product/709063/petzl-tactikka-plus-led-headlamp?preferredSku=7090630018&cm_mmc=cse_froogle-_-{adtype}-_-product-_-7090630018&mr:trackingCode=CEF963B9-EB95-DE11-93DB-0019B9C043EB&mr:referralID=NA&{copy:s_kwcid}=&mr:adType=pla&gclid=CMPfhf-E_rACFdOa7QodBiCv_A

Pair of clippers my senior year of high school. I spent $20 on them in 2002, and I haven't paid for a haircut since. Easily my best investment.

Last edited:
Pair of clippers my senior year of high school. I spent $20 on them in 2002, and I haven't paid for a haircut sense. Easily my best investment.

That's a good one.

A nice chef's knife and calphalon pans have been a great investment for my fledgling cooking skills.

My Frigidaire kegerator. Seriously- Kegs of Bud run about $110 and at around 15 gallons per keg, my ROI was less than 4 years. Also, no more 60-pound recycle bins full of bottles and cans.

The best move I made though I admit it was more dumb, idealistic, luck than informed knowledge, was taking company stock options in lieu of certain salary considerations in the dotcom I worked for. I was able to sell them at a grossly elevated price. Not long after, I was laid off but had a cushion.

My four years at Wake are pretty special to me.

Legit knives. If you cook at least 2-3 times a week, retail just doesn't cut it. (har har)

A few years ago, a wealthy single woman died with a whole bunch of properties and other assets. Her kids were generally potheads who just wanted the cars and cash (which I'm sure they have wrecked/spent by now). One of the assets she had was a high-roller pre-paid timeshare that can be used on demand pretty much anywhere in the country and Carribbean, multiple times a year. The kids didn't really understand what it was, nor did they want to take the time to learn what it was, so I bought it for about 2% of what she had paid for it 1 year prior simply because they didn't want to deal with it and I told them that I would handle the ownership transfer paperwork. We made our money back on the first vacation, and ever since then I've taken the family (including parents, in-laws, etc) on multiple vacations per year for free to the Atlantis, Cancun, Hawaii, Vail, etc. We've actually given vacation weeks away to family and friends in the past, simply because we don't get enough time off of work to use it all depending on where we go. Plus, when we walk into the place the staff sees our membership level and thinks that we were the ones who dropped the original cash, so we get treated like royalty compared to the common peon. It is completely ridiculous.

grill pan from Ikea. It was on special for $7.99 or something; we use it at least twice a week and it does a GREAT job and nothing sticks.

A few years ago, a wealthy single woman died with a whole bunch of properties and other assets. Her kids were generally potheads who just wanted the cars and cash (which I'm sure they have wrecked/spent by now). One of the assets she had was a high-roller pre-paid timeshare that can be used on demand pretty much anywhere in the country and Carribbean, multiple times a year. The kids didn't really understand what it was, nor did they want to take the time to learn what it was, so I bought it for about 2% of what she had paid for it 1 year prior simply because they didn't want to deal with it and I told them that I would handle the ownership transfer paperwork. We made our money back on the first vacation, and ever since then I've taken the family (including parents, in-laws, etc) on multiple vacations per year for free to the Atlantis, Cancun, Hawaii, Vail, etc. We've actually given vacation weeks away to family and friends in the past, simply because we don't get enough time off of work to use it all depending on where we go. Plus, when we walk into the place the staff sees our membership level and thinks that we were the ones who dropped the original cash, so we get treated like royalty compared to the common peon. It is completely ridiculous.

oh heyyyyyyyy. you've always been my favorite poster.... :)

i'm curious now, though- how does this work? did she prepay multiple years? how does this keep going?

Back