• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Best purchases/investments you've ever made

A few years ago, a wealthy single woman died with a whole bunch of properties and other assets. Her kids were generally potheads who just wanted the cars and cash (which I'm sure they have wrecked/spent by now). One of the assets she had was a high-roller pre-paid timeshare that can be used on demand pretty much anywhere in the country and Carribbean, multiple times a year. The kids didn't really understand what it was, nor did they want to take the time to learn what it was, so I bought it for about 2% of what she had paid for it 1 year prior simply because they didn't want to deal with it and I told them that I would handle the ownership transfer paperwork. We made our money back on the first vacation, and ever since then I've taken the family (including parents, in-laws, etc) on multiple vacations per year for free to the Atlantis, Cancun, Hawaii, Vail, etc. We've actually given vacation weeks away to family and friends in the past, simply because we don't get enough time off of work to use it all depending on where we go. Plus, when we walk into the place the staff sees our membership level and thinks that we were the ones who dropped the original cash, so we get treated like royalty compared to the common peon. It is completely ridiculous.

Yeah my grandfather bought 2 timeshares from RCI and it paid for itself so many times over the years for my family. Its a great thing to inherit, not necessarily to purchase.

Our slow cooker. We use the heck out of that thing. It's really nice to come home and have dinner already done.

-401k (Vanguard 2050)
-Buying a used car
-Spending extra on nice work clothes and furniture that will last a long time as opposed to ripping/breaking in a year
-Brita/Coffeemaker

Townie I need to get that meat slicer. I got that same one for my dad for Christmas a few years ago and he loves it.

How long does it take you to get through a keg?

Standard Keg has 15.5 Gallons. That's 160 12 oz. beers. The internet says a CO2 refrigerated keg will last up to 4 months before going froggy. That's 10 beers a week or:

(if bud light) 1100 additional calories a week (7.8% of your weekly suggested caloric intake)
(if yuengling) 1350 additional calories a week (%9.6 of your weekly suggested caloric intake)

I mean, I LOVE drinking bears, but I don't think I could do that without becoming an alcoholic (or more of one than I already am).

Maybe if it was a pony keg...

10 beers a week? If that's your threshold for alcoholism, you have some pretty puritanical standards. I'll guzzle 15-20 on a Sunday of watching golf. I have a 24-oz Tervis that I drink out of. And 5-8 after work, while making dinner, or when the neighbors are over is typical. I love beer.

I'd also add my Cookshack smoker. All stainless, insulated double-wall cabinet. Amazing piece of equipment.

10 beers a week? If that's your threshold for alcoholism, you have some pretty puritanical standards. I'll guzzle 15-20 on a Sunday of watching golf. I have a 24-oz Tervis that I drink out of. And 5-8 after work, while making dinner, or when the neighbors are over is typical. I love beer.

I'd also add my Cookshack smoker. All stainless, insulated double-wall cabinet. Amazing piece of equipment.

Yeah 10 beers a week is nothing. And 94 might not be the hippest cat on the Pit, but I am sure he has at least one friend who also drinks beers.

i don't think 10 beers (or drinks) a week makes you an alcoholic but do you guys really drink that much each week?

When we moved into our house, I purchased a box of latex gloves. Last week, we found our storage freezer stopped working. The food inside putrefied and liquified.

Those latex gloves are the best purchase I EVER made.

i don't think 10 beers (or drinks) a week makes you an alcoholic but do you guys really drink that much each week?

Friday night I went to a concert, had five before I left then two there
Saturday I was low key, only three or four
Sunday I had five at softball and another three or four at home while watching trials
Last night I had softball and had three at the game then another five or so at the bar
Tonight I might switch to liqour
Tomorrow will easily break ten total
Friday is a birthday party
Saturday is my friend's 4th of July party and we'll easily have 15+

Damn you all for causing me to sit here trying to figure out how many drinks I have per week.

I would say 4-5 high gravity beers, 2-3 glasses of bourbon, and a glass or two of wine. Does that make me an alcoholic?

Damn you all for causing me to sit here trying to figure out how many drinks I have per week.

I would say 4-5 high gravity beers, 2-3 glasses of bourbon, and a glass or two of wine. Does that make me an alcoholic?

Based on what I just posted, I sure as hell hope not.

i mean, A) a holiday week doesn't count B) i don't really GAF about how much people drink; I guess I just drink less than I thought

I drink a hell of a lot beer but I don't drink sodas. I haven't had a soft drink longer than I can remember. Don't drink coffee either. Beer and liquor. Lots of both.

i mean, A) a holiday week doesn't count B) i don't really GAF about how much people drink; I guess I just drink less than I thought

How long have you been married? How many kids do you have? What's your boss like? See the pattern?

I talked about this on the chat thread but I purchased a box of books at an auction for $1. At the bottom of the box was a mint condition "Grapes of Wrath" first edition, first printing with a dust jacket in perfect condition and I sold it for
several thousand.

3 drinks a night or less is very healthy with otherwise proper diet and exercise.

Back