• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Best purchases/investments you've ever made

I drink about like 94, used to be 50 plus per week in the dark times probably. not much now since running a lot and such.

best investment- my gun. I've got so much free shit with it, blow yo mind. also have a hairbrush that is over 30 years old and works great. and I have sweet clooney hair that you would trade a testicle for too, not that thinning old man moonz hair crap that ruins your day.

While we're on the subject of drinking, flasks absolutely must be brought up on this thread. Save ya $ at all sorts of venues where drinks are expensive.

I will also add my bicycle. It was a bit pricey back when, but I've gotten almost 5k miles on it with no replacement parts except tubes and cables. I use it for commuting and exercise both. It's essentially my prized possession.

My house. It's an old house in a great neighborhood, prior owner spent beaux coup dollars on a big kitchen renovation, new master suite, etc. He completed said renovations right before the crash in 2008 and put it on the market right after Lehman fell. It sat on the market for over a year until I made a low-ball offer. I had to put some more money into it to finish some renovations he should have done but there's no way I should have been able to buy a fully-renovated house in this neighborhood for that price.

Same here. Bought my house 16 years ago in what was then a bit of a transitional neighborhood in Cville. Got lucky b/c it's tripled in value in the interim. Paid it off and then put it up as collateral for a loan to buy a bigger and nicer building where I can have my office and my residence, and got a good deal on it because I bought it from Martha Jefferson Hospital when the hospital was unloading a bunch of formerly adjacent properties when it relocated to Pantops last year. And now Martha Jeff just got voted the prettiest hospital in the country for their sweet new location. So everyone is happy. Except for UVA hospital and its god awful parking problem, and they're losing a ton of business to Martha Jeff.

oh heyyyyyyyy. you've always been my favorite poster.... :)

i'm curious now, though- how does this work? did she prepay multiple years? how does this keep going?

Yeah, she just made one massive lump-sum cash payment that paid for the whole thing in perpetuity. I'm sure she got ripped on the deal from a purely economical perspective, but she was loaded and apparently didn't care, so I'll take it.

yeah, that's pretty damn awesome.
so other than airfare, you pretty much go places for next to nothing.

so far in my mind, you are winning this thread.

cWFwsNeHtMuxCWMwCTPc7lSbAh5j-yKM3x6YpVZx5LaKtXjn4tnSfN0w6eHIeCNxYFrFhynT_DCLPxjreKMcLAL1cnFXnHQE4JcF-NPUw7BvLyEzvNu85K7Qcu57TUcPCMcySFjz2Wiy0TXhiRLR3BOQ6qwjM3LYLs4lkjH-QvV2q3564NtwFPiCGvzkyJkj4wpqghkclBpGnNoX5Zg8vLTzTi8

$60ish for this (used), and I also use it every day. It has saved me hundreds on lunch meat, because we just roast chicken/turkey/beef on Sunday and eat sandwiches for at least a week with it.

Plus when your ladyfriends shoes are uneven you can help her balance them out.

My Blowtorch. When an intruder comes they might expect a gun but they sure as hell aren't expecting me to whip out the blowtorch.

On my physicals I always say that I do drink occasionaly. When they ask how much and I tell them it's 7-10 mixed drinks and a few more glasses of wine a year, they just change it to does not drink.

i don't think 10 beers (or drinks) a week makes you an alcoholic but do you guys really drink that much each week?

r u serious?

yeah. at 2-3 beers a night with many more than that on Fridays/Saturdays/any day when I really feel like it, it all adds up.

I felt like we had this thread on this board before, but did a lot of searching and couldn't find it. Here are some of mine:

02-5g9dj27ZzuP_cLKHoU_CSA90Wx3AJdd6BFpZfMByclOLp5FA86A-JUTG5iGMKrdE7W3CQIkrd7gjRwIcl8nFlAWBrsJl34QdhAObzyq7suLwyl-I50oMa8gVxaWJMai2VC59roZ2DACRePANWp3GP9hGzNMRjbfXf1t5LFcqiQNuIupDj6gOaRG3XwQO2O4uQECF4PqzOiTkPgA9hNAh9rRRi672-NeuE4t9p0qU5lovi8xeyRQW3Ctq3uqStLzoilzUpyRJrow6OMD8ldtbMYTR4S3m0RRJVbKkYRn9b58TjEat04TeH9lBbXyKxYhPoe5tvz45Dd9DbH0Q4pFSf

$20 for a water bottle seems like a lot, but I use it every single day, both for hot coffee and ice water. I also bought a lifetime warranty for $5, so I will have it foreva. I also own the Brita water bottle, which I love. For someone who drinks a TON of water, this is crucial.

cWFwsNeHtMuxCWMwCTPc7lSbAh5j-yKM3x6YpVZx5LaKtXjn4tnSfN0w6eHIeCNxYFrFhynT_DCLPxjreKMcLAL1cnFXnHQE4JcF-NPUw7BvLyEzvNu85K7Qcu57TUcPCMcySFjz2Wiy0TXhiRLR3BOQ6qwjM3LYLs4lkjH-QvV2q3564NtwFPiCGvzkyJkj4wpqghkclBpGnNoX5Zg8vLTzTi8

$60ish for this (used), and I also use it every day. It has saved me hundreds on lunch meat, because we just roast chicken/turkey/beef on Sunday and eat sandwiches for at least a week with it.

And I don't have a pic of it, but a tire repair kit + air compressor has saved me tows on 3 occasions now (twice when my spare blew; once on the very busy Verrazzano Bridge outside of Brooklyn).

So, whaddya got? Anybody buy Apple stock in 1980 or anything?

Good thing you're not RahmEmanuelDeac.

r u serious?

yeah. at 2-3 beers a night with many more than that on Fridays/Saturdays/any day when I really feel like it, it all adds up.

yep. a glass or two of wine a night (for my heart!) plus beers on the weekend... i am a far cry from an alchy.

Don't know about best, but these have had a pretty good return:

'97 Acura (360k miles ftw)

Decent pizza stone (thin crust pizza and/or calzones at least twice/wk for 10+ yrs)

15" Lodge cast iron pan (will last a lifetime, and great for baking deep dish pizza)

Meat grinder (homemade sausage tastes great w/ a fraction of the sodium, fat and preservatives of store bought sausage)

Weber grill (cooks great and is built to last 20 yrs)

Didn't you have to throw this out because security at Staples Center wouldn't let you have it?

Yeah which was bullshit bc I had taken it planes before. I bought a new one which is even better -- doesn't have the ueseless scissors but includes a phillips head along with the normal one.

I was invited to purchase a 1% interest in a start up for $10,000, with the primary investor fronting the money. I had to pay him back out of my draws, so I only had enough left over to pay my taxes until the loan was repaid. Within five years I was getting $20k a year and after merging with a much larger entity, I'm doing even better.

This was a much better investment 15 years ago, but when I was a kid I got the Michael Jordan rookie card in a pack of cards I probably purchased for 40 cents.

Actual useful adult investments? Probably putting a new tile kitchen floor in my house over the beat-up wood floor in there. And a ceiling fan for the master bedroom.

Hopefully my masters degree will eventually fall into his category.

Back