• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Facebook Gold from Crazies

Do you think race relations are getting better right now or worse?

Neither, I think they are coming to the surface and becoming more public. I believe where the time when people are no longer being silent about injustices that occur against people of color. And that tension is necessary if wwe are ever going to truly move forward rather than just white wash everything and pretend everything is OK.

old white legal secretaries standing outside my office sharing their Trumpian #hottakes. makes my brain hurt so bad. it's like real life facebook gold from old crazies.

With all of the decisiveness yesterday regarding the NFL I would like to help each side understand the other a little better. To the protestors I say most people are completely sympathetic to your causes. All Americans are entitled to the same rights, privileges, and protections. Both Police and Race relations need to get better. Period. No doubt there are some Americans who still promote prejudice but most do not. We are 100% with you in your cause. However, many of us do not agree with the way you have chosen to protest. Disrespecting something that I love does not put you on my good side, regardless of the validity of your cause. Just because the cause is just does not make your methods so. To use a blatant example, what if someone in the name of your cause felt the best way to bring attention was to stand outside of black churches and yell racial epithets. Would you stand and yell with them in solidarity? Why not? They are promoting the same cause you are. Shouldn't you back them 100%? The obvious answer is no. Offending someone else in the name of your cause doesn't help bring people together. It just creates more animosity. Find a way to bring awareness to your cause that brings people together and I am with you 100%, but don't piss in my Cornflakes and expect me to stand with you.

Doesn't seem like you are speaking from each side, just one side. Further, nobody is yelling epithets at the servicemen and women who protect our country that the flag represents. They are silently protesting an inanimate piece of cloth. Further, for the evangelicals that are so offended by this, they seem to be worshiping idols (flag). Your example is not a good one.

These guys have found a great, non-violent (and non-disruptive) way to increase focus and discussion on what they feel is injustice in our country. Seems that using a symbol of our country to raise that discussion could not be more appropriate. It is brilliant, actually.

old white legal secretaries standing outside my office sharing their Trumpian #hottakes. makes my brain hurt so bad. it's like real life facebook gold from old crazies.

yeah, i get this in my office a lot as well. I choose to say nothing because of the HR shitstorm that could ensue.

Kaep didn't not get signed solely because the protest. Nobody wants a backup quarterback to be a controversial figure. If owners thought he could win them a Superbowl he would be on a team right now. if Russel Wilson takes a knee teams would still sign him come free agency.

Sorry but I don't find this argument convincing. But even if I did, does it matter if his protest is the sole reason vs. part of the reason?

Doesn't seem like you are speaking from each side, just one side. Further, nobody is yelling epithets at the servicemen and women who protect our country that the flag represents. They are silently protesting an inanimate piece of cloth. Further, for the evangelicals that are so offended by this, they seem to be worshiping idols (flag). Your example is not a good one.

These guys have found a great, non-violent (and non-disruptive) way to increase focus and discussion on what they feel is injustice in our country. Seems that using a symbol of our country to raise that discussion could not be more appropriate. It is brilliant, actually.

I think (or at least I thought) biff posted that as a quote of what someone else said... not that that's what he is saying.
I think?

It is kind of a counterproductive protest, since something like 70% of people think its just rich spoiled athletes being disrespectful it only makes Trump more powerful, racial divides deeper, and hate stronger.

It's as if black people standing up for their rights pisses off shitty white people. Who knew?

By the way, anybody else get the idea 2&2 knows the only way the Giants can win is if the other team just doesn't show up?

Uh, yeah, this isn't me talking. Sorry I didn't make that more clear.

It's as if black people standing up for their rights pisses off shitty white people. Who knew?

By the way, anybody else get the idea 2&2 knows the only way the Giants can win is if the other team just doesn't show up?

Or if the Giants closed a bridge to prevent them from showing up.

Kaep didn't not get signed solely because the protest. Nobody wants a backup quarterback to be a controversial figure. If owners thought he could win them a Superbowl he would be on a team right now. if Russel Wilson takes a knee teams would still sign him come free agency.

Exactly. Kaep could line his driveway in human skulls and he'd still be on a roster if he were good.

Do you think race relations are getting better right now or worse?
I don't think that improving "race relations", in the way that you mean it, is the purpose of the protests. Systemic racism and abusive/deadly police practices are not "race relation" issues.

White people made the protests about disrespecting the military and the flag.

I must confess that I've wondered just how many conservatives who are upset by NFL players taking a knee during the anthem also support flying the Confederate flag ("Heritage, Not Hate!"), and support keeping all those Confederate statues and monuments. Judging from facebook posts I've seen over the weekend, I'd say it's a lot, as many posters who are angry about this were defending those memorials and Confederate symbols on facebook during the Charlottesville protests. The problem is that Confederate leaders "disrespected" the US flag at a level that makes some athletes kneeling during the anthem look like child's play in comparison, so these folks are more than a little hypocritical. Defending Confederate symbols and then getting angry at someone else for, in your opinion, disrespecting the US flag and anthem is cognitive dissonance at its finest, imo.

Good post, Highland.

If you had to guess is Kaepernicks passer rating
A. Significantly higher than Eli Manning
B. Higher but it's pretty close
C. Lower but it's pretty close
D. Significantly lower

It is kind of a counterproductive protest, since something like 70% of people think its just rich spoiled athletes being disrespectful it only makes Trump more powerful, racial divides deeper, and hate stronger.
As I said, white people always say the same shit about black protests.
97fbac4716cb08fba36b9e5507a44be5.jpg

So in your "70% of people" per the study, you are only counting white people. Sounds about right.

So "people" = white people, right catamount?

Back