• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing gun violence/injury thread

This has been my question to family and friends who own them. No one has a justifiable answer.

954697_1_toy%20gun_standard.jpg

What do you use these guns for? What do you like about them?

Hunting, target shooting, personal protection. I've owned guns since I was about 11 or 12. I probably haven't shot one in 6 months, and I keep them in a gun safe.

I'm not aware of any responsible gun owners who want kooks to have guns. And it's definitely not fair to lump honest gun owners in with freaks who in no way should ever be able to have access to guns.

Hunting, target shooting, personal protection. I've owned guns since I was about 11 or 12. I probably haven't shot one in 6 months, and I keep them in a gun safe.

I'm not aware of any responsible gun owners who want kooks to have guns. And it's definitely not fair to lump honest gun owners in with freaks who in no way should ever be able to have access to guns.

Hunting - hobby
Target shooting - hobby
personal protection - From the government whose going to come take your guns and land? I've never understood the argument that anyone would need something other than a pistol or shotgun to protect their home.

I asked my friends and family members if they were willing to find a new hobby or at least alter the way they approach it, if it means we put a process in place to save innocent lives.

But you said yourself that honest gun owners would be willing to murder law enforcement officers if they tried to enforce laws that reduced their gun ownership, so it seems like there is a switch to be flipped for every gun owner. For many it's as much as an intruder threatening your family, for some like Cruz (a lawful gun owner until Wednesday) it's whatever his motivations were. You don't think that's a problem?

SC Deac, it's pretty obvious we disagree on a lot here, but I do appreciate your honesty about your personal life. One more question if you don't mind me asking, if someone were breaking into your house, which gun are you likely to grab first to protect your family? Which gun are you most likely to use for hunting? What is your primary use of a semi-automatic rifle(s) from your collection?

Hunting - hobby
Target shooting - hobby
personal protection - From the government whose going to come take your guns and land? I've never understood the argument that anyone would need something other than a pistol or shotgun to protect their home.

I asked my friends and family members if they were willing to find a new hobby or at least alter the way they approach it, if it means we put a process in place to save innocent lives.

From anyone who want's to do bodily harm to me or my family. And several of the handguns and shotguns that I own are semi-auto. A rifle is a piss poor choice for personal protection.

I am catching up on this thread so, I'm sorry if it's been posted but, this American Life aired this story just two weeks ago about a state legislator's attempt to implement a ban on fake imitation guns on school property in Louisiana. The gun lobby fought and killed the bill. These are seriously bizarre times we live in:

https://www.thisamericanlife.org/637/words-you-cant-say/act-two-3

I have no clue. It's not that easy to modify a semi-auto.

You can do the same thing with rubber bands.

From anyone who want's to do bodily harm to me or my family. And several of the handguns and shotguns that I own are semi-auto. A rifle is a piss poor choice for personal protection.

That's the point of my questions earlier. Semi-auto rifles seem to be poor choices for most hunting and home protection. They seem to be effective at killing large numbers of living things in a short period of time. Seems like those guns are worth restricting, no?

So, for you, a semi-auto rifle is just used for hobbies.

Would you be willing to give up that hobby if it led to hundreds of fewer deaths a year?

SC Deac, it's pretty obvious we disagree on a lot here, but I do appreciate your honesty about your personal life. One more question if you don't mind me asking, if someone were breaking into your house, which gun are you likely to grab first to protect your family? Which gun are you most likely to use for hunting? What is your primary use of a semi-automatic rifle(s) from your collection?

I appreciate the discussion. And I hope some good solutions can come from all this. I'm a long-time NRA member and I would definitely support common sense changes. I have kids that I value more than anything in the world and it breaks my heart to see what these families are going thru. I think we have a deeper sickness in our culture and I honestly don't have any idea how it can be fixed.

Breaking into my house? Shotgun hands down.

I appreciate the discussion. And I hope some good solutions can come from all this. I'm a long-time NRA member and I would definitely support common sense changes. I have kids that I value more than anything in the world and it breaks my heart to see what these families are going thru. I think we have a deeper sickness in our culture and I honestly don't have any idea how it can be fixed.

Unfortunately, being a member of the NRA means you support those that actively fight against any change. I would hope you would reconsider your membership.

Unfortunately, being a member of the NRA means you support those that actively fight against any change. I would hope you would reconsider your membership.

Actually the NRA does not fight every change. For example, the change in the mental health rules that were adopted last year that have been in the press the past few days was pushed by the ACLU. The NRA actually didn't oppose the restriction.

Overall it's a good organization that does a ton of good. Do I agree with everything they do? No. But that's true with any group or organization.

What do you consider to be common sense changes? I hear that phrase or something similar a lot, but I'm unsure of what it really means.

Back