• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Pit Parenting Thread

Baby girl on the way... other than not throw lame birthday parties, what do I need to know about having a kid?
Advice most welcome regarding ages 0-5, as I have hands-on experience after that point.

Leebs - forgot to mention this earlier, but we were big fans of "Baby 411" by Dr. Ari Brown and Denise Fields. Lots of smart, no-nonsense advice provided by an actual doctor; way better than googling for information. Saved us many phone calls to the doctor during the first year or so.

Leebs, I’m very confident you will succeed at becoming the first parent ever not to freak out about his/her child !

Is it that hard? The only day I kinda freaked out was the day he had an allergic reaction and stopped breathing.

Baby girl on the way... other than not throw lame birthday parties, what do I need to know about having a kid?
Advice most welcome regarding ages 0-5, as I have hands-on experience after that point.

Get your sleep, come hell or high water. Consider a night nurse if necessary.

Posted this on the CT thread a couple weeks ago, but I still think about this incident everyday:

Girl: Daddy, smell my fingers.

[She jabs fingers under my nose. They stink.]

Me: [Girl], did you put your finger in your butt?

Girl: No!

Me: Did you stick it in your vagina?

Girl: [Cackles] Yeah. I stuck it in my vagina.

True story. One of the most messed up things ever.

Leebs - forgot to mention this earlier, but we were big fans of "Baby 411" by Dr. Ari Brown and Denise Fields. Lots of smart, no-nonsense advice provided by an actual doctor; way better than googling for information. Saved us many phone calls to the doctor during the first year or so.

Nice, thanks!

for people with older kids - two books I've checked out recently that are pretty great are 'Simplicity Parenting' (good to reinforce 'less is more') and 'The Self-Directed Child' (helps frame conversations and situations so you're helping the kid figure out they want to do things for their own benefit - like homework - instead of always just riding them to get things done). I'd really recommend both.

our 3 yr old daughter came home yesterday kinda bummed b/c the boys in the class told her girls can't play good guy/bad guy b/c girls don't fight bad guys

super lame. what did you do? tell her those boys are silly and of course girls fight bad guys? tell her about wonder woman? show her pictures of female police officers and firefighters?

super lame. what did you do? tell her those boys are silly and of course girls fight bad guys? tell her about wonder woman? show her pictures of female police officers and firefighters?

yeah i mean we do a lot of that; just frustrating how much is out of your control when they're in the wild

yeah i mean we do a lot of that; just frustrating how much is out of your control when they're in the wild

Very true. That doesn't get better, either. We pretty much send kids to school and trust they're not buttheads bc we're raising them, and just hope nobody is a butthead to them. That's about as much as you can do once they jump out of the car.

Big thanks to my in-laws for sending the Kids back from Spring Break with a goddamn hamster cage. Jesus Christ.

for people with older kids - two books I've checked out recently that are pretty great are 'Simplicity Parenting' (good to reinforce 'less is more') and 'The Self-Directed Child' (helps frame conversations and situations so you're helping the kid figure out they want to do things for their own benefit - like homework - instead of always just riding them to get things done). I'd really recommend both.

my mom wrote a book on parenting

premise is how she kinda fucked up with me and my brothers, but figured it out with my sisters

check it out

Seems much of what women do in life is fight shitty guys.

Posted this on the CT thread a couple weeks ago, but I still think about this incident everyday:

Girl: Daddy, smell my fingers.

[She jabs fingers under my nose. They stink.]

Me: [Girl], did you put your finger in your butt?

Girl: No!

Me: Did you stick it in your vagina?

Girl: [Cackles] Yeah. I stuck it in my vagina.

True story. One of the most messed up things ever.

This is... wow. I’m proud and scared at the same time.

So excited for you, lbe! It can be scary as hell but generally pretty cool overall. Just don’t start saying “my littles” or “but first, coffee.”

So excited for you, lbe! It can be scary as hell but generally pretty cool overall. Just don’t start saying “my littles” or “but first, coffee.”

how about a wine glass that says "mommy juice" in very stylized font?

I hate the mommy wine shirts so much.

il_340x270.1464825352_k1z1.jpg

Back