• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing NC GOP debacle thread

Let's be honest, they're not really doing much of anything. Whole damned state is run by the GOP and they can't even get a budget right with an extra $400 million.

Wait, you mean to tell me they are going to miss another deadline next Monday? Let me show you my shocked face. :rolleyes:

Meanwhile, all those TA's who started working yesterday may or may not have a job 2 weeks/4 weeks/3 months from now, whenever they get around to finishing a budget.

Read an article in the Winston-Salem Journal when I was home that said every major city in North Carolina has a teacher shortage to start the year.

Read an article in the Winston-Salem Journal when I was home that said every major city in North Carolina has a teacher shortage to start the year.

Thanks, Eastern NC and big city Democrats.

But our tepid job growth isn't as bad as it is elsewhere in the country.

What McCrory and the Republican party have done to education in this state will take a decade to fix. Just awful.

But our tepid job growth isn't as bad as it is elsewhere in the country.

What McCrory and the Republican party have done to education in this state will take a decade to fix. Just awful.

But if Democrats come back to power, the GOP will blame them for not fixing it in 2 years.

Look, LK, when education policies have failed for 40 years, why not try something new? Like making it worse for teachers, or cutting funding for schools?

cupholder%20or%20use%20table.jpg

They probably have a clue but they don't care. They know they can blame any problems resulting from cutting teacher assistants on public education. The foxes are in charge of the hen house.

http://www.newsobserver.com/opinion/op-ed/article32670861.html

This path has never been strewn with rose petals. I know they didn’t expect, however, to be officially derided for their efforts. “The elephant in the room,” Fetters explains, “is the constant claim that we are failing our students.”

The politicians who accuse them, of course, never go to their schools, never talk to the teachers. They do, though, “take away our teaching assistants, run good teachers off to other states, give us bigger classes, cut our budgets and disparage our schools,” Cooke says.

It’s not lost on teachers of high-poverty children that all the current political energy is directed toward vouchers and charter schools, draining already inadequate resources. They “evaluate us on matters outside of our control,” Cooke says, “pronounce us broken, and then make it tougher to do our work.”

Cooke’s own daughter attends one of the high-poverty Durham schools receiving an F on the state’s new scorecard. “I know the greatness of what they do in that school. I’d never move her,” Cooke says. She gets angry when her daughter’s teachers are maligned by people who don’t know what they’re talking about.

Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/opinion/op-ed/article32670861.html#storylink=cpy

According to an analysis by Democracy North Carolina, the 30 candidates for spots on the UNC Board of Governors in March and their immediate family members had given over $1 million in campaign donations since 2007.

Contending the process isn’t influenced by partisan politics — when highly controversial board decisions seem to reflect a different reality — only serves to magnify partisan distrust. Fennebresque has said he doesn’t believe politics enter into the board’s discussions. This is a naive view considering the board is appointed by the partisan N.C. General Assembly.

Read more: http://www.dailytarheel.com/article/2015/08/opinion-time-to-face-the-fact
Quoted from The Daily Tar Heel

Back