• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Law School is a sham

About 5 years. We paid roughly 20k a year on loans to get 105k down to about 10k (interest added another 5k onto principle).

Couple of things about tax treatment here--- you can deduct up to $2500 a year in paid student loan interest (just like a mortgage) if your married filing jointly income does not exceed 120k, at which point is phases out till entirely phased out at 150k.

Your unsubsidized student loans have their interest recapitalized as principle during school. What that means is that the last few thousand of any payments you make on a given loan are likely to be interest only. So if you are sitting there with an unsubsidized loan with a remaining balance of 2 or 3k that had an original balance of 10k or more and your married filing jointly income is below 120k, you might consider paying that loan off at the end of the year to get the most tax deduction.

Also, at least for me, I could pick and chose which loans I paid extra on, so I paid all of my high interest rate loans off. For those of you that consolidated, well you fucked up there. I dumped all my 6.8 and 8.4 rate loans early on and then had just the 2% stuff left thereafter.

When I consolidated in 2006 my interest rates went down on the consolidated loans. As in all of them. I'm sitting at 2% or less, although not quite the 0.1% that WakeLaw has. Even my private loans were well under 5%. Don't think it was a bad move at all to consolidate.

Agreed. I consolidated in 2004 at under 3%. I could have paid the loans off a while ago, but I've made much more in the market (even with the 2008 collapse) than that interest has cost me, so I'm content to ride my 20-year amortization schedule. We've prepaid our house down a lot over the years as that has carried higher rates. The school loans are just a monthly cost of doing business.

That is more about what is wrong with our bankruptcy system then what is wrong with being a lawyer. Dude is making $375k a year and filing bankruptcy for just regular living expenses and child support? That is the bullshit right there. The Bankruptcy Judge should tell him to move out to Long Island and start taking the train like everybody else to cut his $2,460 rent, and then deny his Petition. Problem solved. I'm also unaware of any retirement plan that "requires" a $5,900 monthly payment. Sounds like this douche is just filing for bankruptcy looking for a way to cut his alimony.

That is more about what is wrong with our bankruptcy system then what is wrong with being a lawyer. Dude is making $375k a year and filing bankruptcy for just regular living expenses and child support? That is the bullshit right there. The Bankruptcy Judge should tell him to move out to Long Island and start taking the train like everybody else to cut his $2,460 rent. Problem solved. I'm also unaware of any retirement plan that "requires" a $5,900 monthly payment. Sounds like this douche is just filing for bankruptcy looking for a way to cut his alimony.

yeahhhhhhh......that wasn't really the part i was focused on

So what else is wrong? Dude got cut from a job making $500k and now makes $375k following the worst recession in decades. That isn't exactly a reason not to become a lawyer.

Fuck every single person in that article, including the author, for pretending like this guy is in some sort of hardship position.

This. Anyone working at White and Case shouldn't go bankrupt if they know anything about handling their finances. If you are a partner, whether equity partner or not, at White and Case, you have absolutely no reason to go bankrupt.

Plenty of lawyers, and plenty of people in general with equally shitty personal situations make it just fine on a lot less than what this guy is making. The fact he can't seem to do so has nothing to do with law school being a sham, it has to do with him being a failure as a person.

But, to get this thread back on track, law school is most definitely a sham.

the $10k a month in alimony/child support sucks

It does, but it also sucks for everyone else in the world that has to pay alimony/child support. It is not a unique situation this guy is in, his situation just happens to involve higher numbers than your UPS guy.

Agreed. I consolidated in 2004 at under 3%. I could have paid the loans off a while ago, but I've made much more in the market (even with the 2008 collapse) than that interest has cost me, so I'm content to ride my 20-year amortization schedule. We've prepaid our house down a lot over the years as that has carried higher rates. The school loans are just a monthly cost of doing business.

Just a matter of timing. My consolidation option was in 2007 or 2008 and the rates weren't there at that point.

It does, but it also sucks for everyone else in the world that has to pay alimony/child support. It is not a unique situation this guy is in, his situation just happens to involve higher numbers than your UPS guy.

Yeah, the difference is that the number is absurdly high. 10k a month in alimony/child support at his tax bracket amounts to 16k or so a month in pre-tax income (i'm not a tax lawyer so excuse if I do this wrong). That's 160k a year going to child support. That's about 40 percent of his salary.

Oh, in case any of you young smartass associates in the profession haven't figured it out, this profession is all about having clientele. You either have clientele or the profession will push your ass out in favor of cheaper/more efficient options or put a ceiling on your earning potential. So get to networking.

I have heard that a very prominent firm with offices in Charleston, Charlotte, and RTP just forced out almost all or all of their non-IP partners in the RTP office. Uncomfirmed rumor at this point. If anyone has any more inside info on it, would love to hear it. I take some kind of sick joy in seeing big firms fail.

Yeah, the difference is that the number is absurdly high. 10k a month in alimony/child support at his tax bracket amounts to 16k or so a month in pre-tax income (i'm not a tax lawyer so excuse if I do this wrong). That's 160k a year going to child support. That's about 40 percent of his salary.

Oh, in case any of you young smartass associates in the profession haven't figured it out, this profession is all about having clientele. You either have clientele or the profession will push your ass out in favor of cheaper/more efficient options or put a ceiling on your earning potential. So get to networking.

I have heard that a very prominent firm with offices in Charleston, Charlotte, and RTP just forced out almost all or all of their non-IP partners in the RTP office. Uncomfirmed rumor at this point. If anyone has any more inside info on it, would love to hear it. I take some kind of sick joy in seeing big firms fail.

That's not what the profession used to be smart ass

And if every lawyer could make it rain you wouldn't be so smug

Agree that the bankruptcy numbers are bullshit. The whole point of a bankruptcy filing, especially in this case, is to make it look like you have less than you have.

$2500 in insurance per month is bullshit. He is probably counting discretionary contributions to whole life or something. $5900 per month to retirement is also bullshit. Thats not mandatory, maybe mandatory if you want the firm to match or something. 401ks are not reachable in bankruptcy so you can see why he is contributing so much. Oldest trick in the book.

This is just a case of a smart dickhead lawyer trying to pull one over on his c-bag wife. Not a new story.

The bankruptcy will get him a reduction in child support however, and that is what he is after.

From what I've learned on these boards, that's just above the poverty line in Manhattan.

Back