• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The OFFICIAL 2013-2014 Mother's Basement HOT STOVE Offseason Thread

Worked pretty well this year.

at catcher? salty's a better player than aj.

speaking of catchers look like the rays are nabbing hannigan. looks like a 3-way deal, so i'm guessing lobaton will be dealt as part of the deal.

I think the deal just comes down to really liking Ray. It's hard to get a beat on how good a prospect he is since he was a real riser last season, but a couple prospect scouts that I follow on twitter have said they were really, really impressed with Ray when they saw him last season. Sounds like he added a lot of control this past year and the results started piling up (a 11K, 2BB, 3H, 9IP performance at AA will really raise some eyebrows)

Problem is, he's unlikely to be Doug Fister. He seems like a guy who could contribute next season, but as with any minor league P it's not clear he's starter material.

i think the questions with ross are less about his ability to stay in the roto than where he slots there. his ceiling is the main question i've seen as his polish is better than his stuff.

in dombrowski i trust, but this is the first real head scratcher since re-signing valverde

Yeah you sawx fans have had it rough lately...

I wasn't complaining just saying he's a douche. Think it makes sense to nab him on a one year deal to platoon w/ Ross as opposed to going to 3-4 years with Salty, particularly with the guys they have in the high minors.

Wait, the Rays / Reds / DBacks trade may involve Heath Bell?? NOW I’m interested.

Oh bummer, I was hoping Bell would be going to the Reds, a bullpen that included both Bell and Broxton would've been fantastic.

Time to bust out the Rays’ magical pixie dust. He did remember how to strike guys out last year, and he cut way down on the walks it seems.

Heath Bell will now have two teams paying him to not pitch for them.

so it sounds like the rays are getting heath bell at 1/$5 and hannigan (w/ extension) at 3/11 with a team option for an udfa and ptbnl/cash. is this for real? i don't get how frieds could pull that...

Wait, the Rays / Reds / DBacks trade may involve Heath Bell?? NOW I’m interested.

What do the Reds get for Hannigan in that trade?

Sent from my C6606 using Tapatalk

The Reds are getting LHP David Holmberg from the DBacks. I have no idea how strong their system is, but every top 10 prospect list for the team that I checked in a quick Google search included Holmberg. So it seems the DBacks gave one of their better prospects just to get rid of a player they traded for a year ago.

What in the world, Kevin Towers?

The Reds are getting LHP David Holmberg from the DBacks. I have no idea how strong their system is, but every top 10 prospect list for the team that I checked in a quick Google search included Holmberg. So it seems the DBacks gave one of their better prospects just to get rid of a player they traded for a year ago.

What in the world, Kevin Towers?

it's like they traded for ryan hanigan so the rays would take on most of what was owed to bell. weird.

How many "r's" in you're? And why not just cut to the chase? Is this a puzzle?

I'm showing you the link in the article that you said was homer rubbish. In that "homer bullshit" article was the link from a Yankees reporter. You're real Sherlock. Either way I wasn't trying to make a big deal of it. It was just something to back up my thoughts on how the Yankees handle Cano.

Last edited:
it's like they traded for ryan hanigan so the rays would take on most of what was owed to bell. weird.

Meanwhile the Rays are exercising their financial strength by taking on a contract the DBacks don’t want in order to get a free Ryan Hanigan. The world's gone crazy.

JIM BOWDEN ‏@JimBowdenESPNxm 1m
Reds did not invite Brandon Phillips to Redsfest and sources continue to insist that he will traded between now and the end of the WTR Mtgs

JIM BOWDEN ‏@JimBowdenESPNxm 20s
Cincinnati Reds have informed me that in fact Brandon Phillips was invited to Redsfest and my source was incorrect #apologies #Reds

Busto.

Last edited:
I'm pretty bummed, because the Astros have an internal goal for wins they want to hit next year (it's probably 70 or something like that), and they announced very publicly that they want to boost the payroll by about $30m next season.

That could all be publicity smoke, but it seems genuine. The national writers have confirmed that the Astros have been "aggressive bidders" for Abreu, Phil Hughes, Jim Johnson, Shin Soo Choo, etc. I don't think they're joking around about adding pieces. I do think they're having a hard time convincing anyone to be the first piece to lead the rebuild, though, and they apparently aren't too keen on paying a premium to lure an FA to this situation.

Now I'm just worried they'll get to winter meetings, blow some cash on someone just to say they did it, and win like 62 games next year.

so with what it looks like rays will be paying oviedo, hannigan, and bell theyre at like $64 mill. they still need to add a 1b and 2 bench bats and move lobaton's million or so. i'd love, love, love if they could sell lobes as what he was last year (LA hitter or so w/ good defense) with 4 years of control left. maybe he'd make sense to a team needing a PT catcher that has a 1b to dump? the mets could fit the bill trying to move ike davis. i wonder if that'd be enough to nab him? that's put them at like $66 mill with 2 bench spots to fill and still with price. they could easily afford to got to $70-$75 to do that and keep price. hrrrrrmmmmmmmmmm...

Back