• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The OFFICIAL 2013-2014 Mother's Basement HOT STOVE Offseason Thread

lolz

so i'm hearing whispers the rays and m's are in "serious talks" about price. i'm guessing walker has to be part of any package.

Love that a Red Sox World Series is forcing the Yankees to abandon whatever stated plan they had to start rebuilding the farm system and start throwing stupid amounts of money at free agents again.
This isn't what's happening.

Latest NPB/MLB posting system rumors: $20m max bid, but the player gets to choose which team he signs with among all teams that make the highest bid. Bids are non-refundable, and Japanese team gets to keep all of the bid money.

So that looks incredibly different than what I posted earlier. Also seems pretty dumb, since that doesn't seem to limit costs like the MLB would want (the max bid is too low, making more teams wanting to jump into negotiations), and competitive balance would be an issue since the players would likely sign with all the big market teams.

The Yankee brass had a big powwow right after the season about the terrible state of their farm system and their multiple misses on high draft picks (anyone heard from Andrew Brackman recently?).

Hard to add top level, young talent when you're giving away your first round draft pick every year.

And it may well be that they planned to go on a drunken spending orgy again this year well before the World Series ended (as there is no doubt they aren't done yet). It certainly gives the appearance of being reactionary, though.

Yah, Jayson Werth joke, he was the only big name free agent Boras client that I could think of that signed early in free agency.

Ooops

And I might be in the minority (and there is still a long way to go) but I don't think it was that bad of a deal for the Nats. As someone said earlier about the Stros it is hard to get that first guy to bite so you might have to over pay a little. Werth really hit his stride this year and if he can give us another 2 years at that level I'll be happy.

The Yankee brass had a big powwow right after the season about the terrible state of their farm system and their multiple misses on high draft picks (anyone heard from Andrew Brackman recently?).

Hard to add top level, young talent when you're giving away your first round draft pick every year.

And it may well be that they planned to go on a drunken spending orgy again this year well before the World Series ended (as there is no doubt they aren't done yet). It certainly gives the appearance of being reactionary, though.

this is such a dumb post. you argue they have had "multiple misses on top high draft picks" yet assert they're giving away their first every year. brackman wasn't even that high of a pick. he was drafted 30th overall. that isn't high.

in the last 5 drafts the yanks have picked in the first round 7 times. so they aren't "giving away their top pick every year."

Maybe it's reactionary to missing the playoffs or shedding some of their bad salaries or filling positions of need. Or maybe the world revolves around the Red Sox.

tanaka not getting posted would be awesome.

Latest NPB/MLB posting system rumors: $20m max bid, but the player gets to choose which team he signs with among all teams that make the highest bid. Bids are non-refundable, and Japanese team gets to keep all of the bid money.

So that looks incredibly different than what I posted earlier. Also seems pretty dumb, since that doesn't seem to limit costs like the MLB would want (the max bid is too low, making more teams wanting to jump into negotiations), and competitive balance would be an issue since the players would likely sign with all the big market teams.

which mlb prefers.

which mlb prefers.

Eh, I'm not sure it's so clear. It's not like the small market teams don't have owners which vote in these things, and we also have a domestic draft that currently greatly (probably too greatly) favors competitive balance.

Eh, I'm not sure it's so clear. It's not like the small market teams don't have owners which vote in these things, and we also have a domestic draft that currently greatly (probably too greatly) favors competitive balance.

it doesn't really. it keeps owners richer. it wasn't just big market teams going overslot. the royals were one team that did it more than anyone.

oh man theyre lining up...

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/source...3232956.html?soc_src=mediacontentsharebuttons

A number of baseball officials believe the Mariners are a strong candidate to acquire Price, especially if they land free-agent second baseman Robinson Cano. The Mariners have considered including 21-year-old right-hander Taijuan Walker as part of a deal for Price, sources told Yahoo Sports, knowing he represents the sort of frontline player the Rays would seek in such a trade. Packaging him along with a young middle infielder (Nick Franklin or Brad Miller) and other prospects would constitute a difficult-to-top offer – and give the Mariners a rotation of Price, Felix Hernandez and Hisashi Iwakuma, the best 1-2-3 in the major leagues.

‏@jperrotto 12h
Am told Pirates are more willing to trade Jameson Taillon than in the past for a player such as #Rays LHP David http://fb.me/1GrI9zs6L

also, really hoping i'm wrong on the yanks/cano, and he signs with the m's. that will make the push for price stronger and really weaken the yanks.

Serously, the Mariners, always around to keep the rumors going. Jeff Sullivan (Fangraphs writer and Mariners fan) compares the move to the Royals last year:

And We’ll [Maybe] Be Royals

For one, the Mariners don’t seem like they’re good enough right now to really go for it in the short term. I think they’re worse than the Royals were a year ago, and I didn’t like what they did. And for two, if you’re going to try to make yourself better in the short term, don’t in turn give away pieces who can help you in the short term. One of the big problems with the James Shields trade was that the Royals made themselves a lot worse in right field by losing Wil Myers. If the Mariners gave up Taijuan Walker in a package to get Price, they’d get better on account of Price, but they’d also lose value at the same time losing Walker. And they could lose more giving up another piece or two from the big-league roster, like, I don’t know, Nick Franklin or Dustin Ackley. Hard enough for the Mariners to pick up enough new WAR to contend in the next couple years. They don’t need to lose WAR in adding it.

and now dayton shores up the of netting aoki for a loogy. really like this move.

Brian Wilson returns to the Dodgers, where he will continue to torment Giants fans.

Brian Wilson returns to the Dodgers, where he will continue to torment Giants fans.

I'm surprised by the money he got. $10 million year one with a $9 million player option.

Back