• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Myth Behind Public School Failure

Private School vouchers are the same shit as Voter ID laws - even tHough the evidence to support them is obviously bullshit, conservative sheeple will blindly support whatever their politicians tell them to because #freedom and 'murica

On the bright side I feel considerably better about getting a job now. Only downside is employers who google me will find my multiple F bomb crusades on twitter against one Jeffrey [Redacted].

Private School vouchers are the same shit as Voter ID laws - even tHough the evidence to support them is obviously bullshit, conservative sheeple will blindly support whatever their politicians tell them to because #freedom and 'murica

Meanwhile, liberals everywhere are still liking and keeping their pre-Obamacare health insurance plans.

Meanwhile, liberals everywhere are still liking and keeping their pre-Obamacare health insurance plans.
I see what you're getting at, but the context is all wrong.

Purpose of ACA - insure millions of people who otherwise would have no health insurance at the cost of raising insurance rates for the already insured.
Purpose of Voter ID Laws - Solve a problem that doesn't exist at the cost of disenfranchising and discouraging minority and democrat voters
Purpose of Private School Voucher Programs - subsidize families who already send their kids to private schools at the cost of public school systems

Just curious .... How many people on this thread have worked or volunteered in a public school for 10 or more hours per week in the last 2-3 years. How many have done so in a poor, minority dominated school?

Just curious .... How many people on this thread have worked or volunteered in a public school for 10 or more hours per week in the last 2-3 years. How many have done so in a poor, minority dominated school?

I used to run 4 after school sites at Title 1 schools a couple years ago.

wave.gif

This is what you get when the wealth get sucked upward. I don't hear any trickling.

The conservatives on this thread wanted the current economic system so badly, and they got it. The wealthy have done great over the past 30 years, and their kids are doing great and getting educated.

So when problems with education come up, they naturally point to the poor and say "look how good my kid is doing. You just don't care! Get your priorities straight, you are a shitty parent and a shitty person for the way your life is." They have no time for macro-economic considerations, its just Reagan-y cowboy shit about individual responsibility. It's ignorant.

This is purely just my experience within the public school system of SC but the African American students were generally made fun of for trying in school. They were teased, mocked and ridiculed. There was tremendous peer pressure not to succeed. The saddest part is that it was done by people of their own race.

Economic factors aside, there needs to be a cultural shift away from rewarding athletic achievement or talking trash to promoting academic success. A stronger, more inclusive middle class would certainly get things moving in the right direction.

Very true, Stan. That was my experience growing up as well. I still get the same crap here on a forum in which black male athletes are celebrated.

People get teased for whatever reason especially smart kids. It's not like the term "nerd" only applies to black kids. It's not a problem with only black people. It's an American anti-intellectualism problem. See how often teachers and academics are mocked by the right as an example.

Explain what? You've posted here about as long as I have.

Very true, Stan. That was my experience growing up as well. I still get the same crap here on a forum in which black male athletes are celebrated.

People get teased for whatever reason especially smart kids. It's not like the term "nerd" only applies to black kids. It's not a problem with only black people. It's an American anti-intellectualism problem. See how often teachers and academics are mocked by the right as an example.

Teachers were categorized with other government workers as being "well-to-do" on a local radio show while those in the private sector are suffering.

I'm on my 3rd year of teaching in a poor school (around 55% free-reduced lunch). Not minority dominated, but not all white either. Last data I saw was about 60% white. One stereotype I've noticed is people outside education seem to assume a school that is mostly white must be a great school; no discipline problems, high test scores, high graduation rates, etc. I have worked in two minority dominated schools (one that was close to 90% minority). The one common thread to the three schools I have experience in is that they were all poor and all low performing on state exams.

This is purely just my experience within the public school system of SC but the African American students were generally made fun of for trying in school. They were teased, mocked and ridiculed. There was tremendous peer pressure not to succeed. The saddest part is that it was done by people of their own race.

Economic factors aside, there needs to be a cultural shift away from rewarding athletic achievement or talking trash to promoting academic success. A stronger, more inclusive middle class would certainly get things moving in the right direction.

I'll confirm too that I've noticed what Stan and PH have pointed out. I've noticed it to be more a problem with black males than females, although that is purely anecdotal. It is an issue; but it seems some measures are being taken to address it. WSSU hosted a symposium recently for black male students in Forsyth County that was aimed at raising awareness on the the importance of education.

I was referring to black on black nerd shaming. You are given a lot of shit because of your know it all attitude.

You seem to making the case that white on black and white on white nerd shaming are cool. "Know it all attitude" is part of the definition of a nerd.

You seem to making the case that white on black and white on white nerd shaming are cool. "Know it all attitude" is part of the definition of a nerd.

Um, no its not. Nerds are smart and know a lot. Know it alls believe they are the smartest kid in the room and want to make sure you know it.

Back