• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

SCOTUS decisions

Yeah as someone of science when someone asks a question I answer it because there is most likely a logical explanation and answer, especially if someone doesn’t understand something I have intimate knowledge of I then help them even more. What you are doing is hand waving like religious leaders do when a question is asked that they don’t really have a good answer for, which makes it appear originalism is more a feeling than a legit concrete thing.

Ah yes the U.S. Constitution, a framing document so magnificent that no other country on earth wants to model their government after it.

We don't even want other nations to follow it. When the ask us to help them set up a new government for them we encourage them to use European models.

The parliamentary system is far, far superior.

I’d rather be ruled by 53 senators that represent ~35% of the country’s population and a reality tv “star” elected by 43% of the voters.
Trump got 43 % of the vote in his first term. Same as Bill Clinton did in his first term.
Will Trump get 49% in his second election.

Trump got 43 % of the vote in his first term. Same as Bill Clinton did in his first term.
Will Trump get 49% in his second election.

But in 92 Clinton did win the national popular vote by about six percentage points over his opponent, and he beat Bob Dole by seven or eight points in 96. Trump actually lost the popular vote to his opponent by three million votes, so it's not the same.

Last edited:
Ah yes the U.S. Constitution, a framing document so magnificent that no other country on earth wants to model their government after it.

We don't even want other nations to follow it. When the ask us to help them set up a new government for them we encourage them to use European models.

Indeed. This NY Times article is from 2012, and states that the US Constitution is falling out of favor among other nations as a model, and lists the reasons why.

Link: https://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/07/us/we-the-people-loses-appeal-with-people-around-the-world.html

"6th circuit holds..."
Thanks for clearing that up. Agree it would be terribly irresponsible to have courts making up laws. Especially in this case where its protecting children. I guess it's a good thing that the 6th circuit simply upheld a law written by duly elected officials saying it was not unconstitutional.

Still ignoring this.

It's sure working out well for Israel.

I think something like a civil war proves that reliance on a document in its original intent is flawed because that document resulted in a civil war. Like when you explain how things are suppose to work it makes sense on paper if we lived in a black and white society but instead it’s all shades. So you say things like if there weren’t judicial activists we would just throw abortion back to the states, and then states can decide and if congress wants to pass a federal law they can do that as well, but the system is broken so it would never happen, or adding amendments, can’t happen because the system is broken. Yet we know that because the system has always been broken through proof that to get certain amendments and changes we didn’t rely on the measures put in place by the founders we just split into sides and killed a whole bunch of people and the winner got what they wanted.

If our leaders following the Civil War had a lick of sense they would have thrown the constitution in the trash and started over. The thing was written by southern slave holders who wanted to protect their plantations and inheritances. They feared tyranny of the masses far more than tyranny of a king.

Of course Lincoln wouldn't have been for it since he was all about protecting the Union/Constitution, but Wilkes Booth solved that problem, so the Radical Republicans should have wiped their asses with that rag and crafted a functional government. One where corrupt/ineffective leaders can be replaced quickly and an individual's vote actually matters.

Last edited:
The Supreme Court remanded by per curium opinion due to mootness.

200.gif

"6th circuit holds..."
Thanks for clearing that up. Agree it would be terribly irresponsible to have courts making up laws. Especially in this case where its protecting children. I guess it's a good thing that the 6th circuit simply upheld a law written by duly elected officials saying it was not unconstitutional.

junebug still dodging.

The NJ case must have been pretty clear cut. It was a 9-0 decision.

Back