• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

SCOTUS decisions

“The rationales of “textualism” and “originalism” are mere fig leaves masking right wing political goals; sheer casuistry.”

Clearly he hasn’t read Heller.

“The only constitutional freedoms ultimately recognized may soon be limited to those useful to wealthy, Republican, White, straight, Christian, and armed males— and the corporations they control. This is wrong. Period. This is not America.”

It is America. Period. Those are the people the Constitution was originally intended for so conservatives want to keep it that way.

The opposite is true. I’m glad to see people like that go.

Independent thinkers. Fuck those guys. Bring in the next 40 or 50 something rich conservative white guy off the Federalist Society list.

RBG probably needs to be placed in a bubble until this is over.

That was true before the pandemic. I’m still more worried about desperate Pubs than a virus.

umm...work from home bitches. the working folk don't get a paid two week vacation. my meetings are being done on skype now...that is what it is there for.

umm...work from home bitches. the working folk don't get a paid two week vacation. my meetings are being done on skype now...that is what it is there for.

What's funny is up until a couple of years ago, SCOTUS required filings to be in person on some special fancy paper and margins. I think there was even one boutique printing place in DC that specialized in SCOTUS filings. Thankfully, SCOTUS finally allows e-filing.

Shut it down. The fewer decisions clowns like kavanaugh and thomas get to make the better.

And here you babes in the woods thought originalism was your enemy.

Because it's a facade for an authoritarian constitutionalism.

Originalism is authoritarian only insofar as the founders were authoritarian. Which is to say, as an interpretive theory, it isn’t at all.

That’s a generous interpretation of some men who owned people and kept more than half the population from having any say over how they are governed.

That’s a generous interpretation of some men who owned people and kept more than half the population from having any say over how they are governed.

But we have to keep in mind what those people who owned other people originally thought the laws should mean instead of advancing society two and a half centuries.

We let slaveowners run this country from the grave. How messed up is that?

It also simultaneously says too little and too much. On the one hand, in some respects, of course slaveowners still run this country. The structure of our government was designed by them. Separation of powers, enumerated powers, bicameralism, etc. are still features of our government, and none of these features have anything to do with slavery. On the one hand, of course slaveowners don’t still run the country. The Civil War Amendments abolished slavery about 150 years ago. Originalism doesn’t look to the original meaning of the constitutional provisions governing slavery, because those provisions no longer apply. Instead, when interpreting the original meaning of the Civil War Amendments, it looks to the original meaning of those amendments, the framers of which were decidedly not slaveowners.

So Ph’s statement is a nice soundbite, but it doesn’t withstand scrutiny. All he is really saying is that our republic was founded by slaveowners, which is something everyone knows.

On the one hand these words mean nothing. One the one hand the don't make sense.

Back