• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning Credibility Watch

Less than 1 year ago against #8 Louisville. We were down 14 in the first half before coming back to win.

There’s a good chance that game will end up being the apex of the Danny Manning era.

I remain amazed that people worry about recruits over getting the right coach in the job. It just seems so incredibly short-sighted to me.

Also, if we don't release from LOIs they still have to sit out a year, correct?
Yes, but schools usually grant releases.

I thought the next game, at VT, was an even more impressive win.

It was a good win, but nowhere close to beating that Louisville squad. I can’t believe Donovan Mitchell has turned into a star over night. I wasn’t impressed at all when I saw him in person that game and all throughout last year for that matter. Didn’t see him doing anything close to what he’s doing now.

This board is not representative of the general fan. 80% may be concerned, but 80% don't think he sucks. He's shown some problems, but let's see what happens when he has players.

As I have said repeatedly- No NCAAT, No Job after next year.

oh fuck it. You won't listen anyway douche bag.

.....and so are you!

giphy.gif

I remain amazed that people worry about recruits over getting the right coach in the job. It just seems so incredibly short-sighted to me.

Also, if we don't release from LOIs they still have to sit out a year, correct?

This is how this entire mess started. 'Had' to keep Dino for the recruits.

Well we hired Dino bc our coach died in the middle of the summer

Well we hired Dino bc our coach died in the middle of the summer

Maybe more accurate would be to say, that we made him the permanent coach instead of interim to keep the recruiting class.

If the Bulls fire Hoiberg we should fire Danny immediately.

Man that would be so MONTE

Coaching basketball isn't that hard. If my players are better than your players, I win 90 percent of the time. Billion words ain't gonna change that.

Keeping Manning is SO "LOWF". He would be gone at any other school with our resources, especially in a league like the ACC. Take a flier on a young mid majors guy. Something. Why perpetuate hopelessness?

Homelessness is a plague in our cities and probably Winson-Salem to. We give to the men's shelter through our church and volunteer at the soup kitchen once a year.

Almost no one thinks Manning is a coach. You would have to be completely basketball illiterate to have that opinion.

Those who want to keep him think his recruiting will cover for his lack of coaching ability. That is ridiculous at a place like Wake Forest.

Wake can recruit well but will always need a top flight coach to maximize those recruits. Poorly coached teams do not attract good players for long.

Coaching basketball isn't that hard. If my players are better than your players, I win 90 percent of the time. Billion words ain't gonna change that.

Unbelievable that people think this way. If so, then why do we pay coaches millions of dollars?

Manning is proof that coaching matters. In game coaching is just a small part of it. What is taught at practice, defensive & offensive schemes, and improvement of players is essential to a good program.

Look at NC State under Keats vs Gott. Just look at UVA. They recruit at a level far below their win totals.

Unbelievable that people think this way. If so, then why do we pay coaches millions of dollars?

Manning is proof that coaching matters. In game coaching is just a small part of it. What is taught at practice, defensive & offensive schemes, and improvement of players is essential to a good program.

Look at NC State under Keats vs Gott. Just look at UVA. They recruit at a level far below their win totals.

Nah man. You just gotta do a little recruiting and roll out the ball. We just don't have the talent of a GA Southern, Liberty, or Drake.

Last edited:

You apparently did not watch our game Saturday against Notre Dame. The final five minutes was ALL ABOUT coaching. One was far superior to the other. I don't, for the life of me, understand why some of you constantly make excuses for a coach who is obviously in WAY over his head.

Back