• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Recommend good stuff you've seen on Netflix streaming

I finally finished Stranger Things Season 3 and have no idea how anyone could hold this opinion. Season 3 was awful. God awful. The Russians were practically cartoon characters, the Russian complex apparently this complex secure compound and yet there was never any difficulty with it, the horrible teenage love spats (and that includes Hopper and Joyce) the over-emphasis on imagery, the lack of any real plot development around the Mind Flayer, the forced 80s nostalgia culminating in the singing of The Neverending Adventure. The whole thing was a chore. Season 1 involved almost no CGI and had a real sense of suspense, mystery, and terror throughout it. Season 2 took a few side stories but really nailed the ending. Both seasons 1 and 2 involved more development around the Upside Down. At a minimum, why were the Russians even trying to re-open the gate?

The over-empahsis on imagery really was strange in Season 3. Every episode involved these super contrasty visuals - the ice cream uniforms, the life guard and pool visuals, the July 4th celebration. Interesting, compelling plot went totally out the window.

Agree that S1 is by far the best. But S2 was terrible. I enjoyed S3... But yeah, it wasn't a classic.

On a related note, I watched The Neverending Story w/ my kids the other day, because it was one of my absolute favorites as a kid. And oh boy did it suck. I mean, the music is fucking awesome... But Atreyu's quest was ridiculously short. Pretty much nothing happens (aside from the nothing). The whole thing makes no sense at all. I was disappointed in my younger self. Immediately had to watch The Princess Bride to feel better about my nostalgia.

Finally finished Hunters. Was entertaining enough throughout even if the Holocaust scenes felt outrageous/exploitative, but man......woof on that ending

Ozark has gone off the rails but I'mma keep watching when season 4 comes out

Yeah... Ozark has been off the rails since the very beginning, but is still a good watch if you can just get past all of the ridiculousness.

It frustrates me because it has good characters and a "fun" story... Should be better than it is. But it is still OK.

I contrast it with shows like Westworld and Homeland that just completely fucked up a good thing after a promising start... To the point where they became unwatchable for me. I've heard Homeland got better, but I was too far removed to care at that point.

We just saw the last episode of Ozark last night too. Yeah it’s getting wild. Who knows when/if we’ll get new seasons of these shows, like when will they shoot?

The Marty forensic accounting parts are pretty absurd.

Last edited:
I haven't seen season 3 yet but my biggest gripe is just the photography. Why is every scene lit like it's twilight with the blue tint?

I think the story is great, the characters are more complex and believable than Breaking Bad.

Well I hope that edit shows up sorry townie. Not a spoiler or anything major, just don’t want to give info ahead of time for those that haven’t watched.

You always had to suspend disbelief with a show like this, but they tried to cram in too many story lines

We're two episodes from finishing Season 3 but my wife and I both love it. Granted there are some plot holes and other inconsistencies but to me it's really intense and we can't watch more than one episode at a time.

I finally finished Stranger Things Season 3 and have no idea how anyone could hold this opinion. Season 3 was awful. God awful. The Russians were practically cartoon characters, the Russian complex apparently this complex secure compound and yet there was never any difficulty with it, the horrible teenage love spats (and that includes Hopper and Joyce) the over-emphasis on imagery, the lack of any real plot development around the Mind Flayer, the forced 80s nostalgia culminating in the singing of The Neverending Adventure. The whole thing was a chore. Season 1 involved almost no CGI and had a real sense of suspense, mystery, and terror throughout it. Season 2 took a few side stories but really nailed the ending. Both seasons 1 and 2 involved more development around the Upside Down. At a minimum, why were the Russians even trying to re-open the gate?

The over-empahsis on imagery really was strange in Season 3. Every episode involved these super contrasty visuals - the ice cream uniforms, the life guard and pool visuals, the July 4th celebration. Interesting, compelling plot went totally out the window.

Dude, you’re approaching Stranger Things like it’s supposed to be fine art. It’s a callback to 80s schlock. That’s all it is to me, and I enjoy it for that very reason. There are a lot of 80s movies that are that way to me too because that’s when I grew up. Yes, it’s ridiculous. It’s supposed to be.

Dude, you’re approaching Stranger Things like it’s supposed to be fine art. It’s a callback to 80s schlock. That’s all it is to me, and I enjoy it for that very reason. There are a lot of 80s movies that are that way to me too because that’s when I grew up. Yes, it’s ridiculous. It’s supposed to be.

MD25's point is it WAS a really good start to the series but turned into schlock.

Uncut Gems was long and a little absurd. But out on Netflix. Worth watching.

The Big Flower Fight is a terrific binge in the vein of Great British Baking Show

We finished S1 of Broadchurch this weekend. Thought it was well done and defs intend on watching seasons 2 and 3. Really good cast too. Available on Netflix.

Really dug Broadchurch s1. s2 was ok, but I sort of lost it early, though I finished it. Didn't feel like going into 3, but maybe I'll look it up and see what the consensus is. But yeah, Olivia Colman, David Tennant and Jodie Whittaker? Good stuff.

I watched Bad Boys For Life last night. Rented it for $4.99 on Amazon. I probably should have waited for it to be on HBO or Showtime. Not great, not terrible if you like the franchise. Luckily, they set themselves up for another sequel. Anybody questioning their career choices should become a police detective in Miami because it apparently pays really well.

This is where Tiger King was discussed right? Major and I mean MAJOR development...

That is amazing.

Back