• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Recommend good stuff you've seen on Netflix streaming

anyone watch the new kimmy Schmidt special?

Wife and I did the other night. It was fun. I kinda zoned out for much of the final episodes of the show but the gimmick was fun. Only thing was we probably missed a lot of great jokes based on what we chose, and I don’t care to go back to try to find them all

i do CC on about everything these days. Def #old

Babylon Berlin has been my favorite show of the last few years. Lotte is def tops.

I also am doing the CC on everything lately, though sometimes it will throw up the dialogue of something that is supposed to be a surprise/shock before the character says it, and that is a little bit of a bummer, but that's rare.

Same here. I started doing CC regularly because most of my TV watching is when the rest of the house is asleep. It's also annoying to have to go back and figure out what someone said if I don't quite hear it the first time.

The main benefit is getting the "secret" background dialogue that comes up on the CC but you don't hear or maybe what a character was supposed to say in the script but didn't make it in the final shot.

CC for sports sucks though.

Same here. I started doing CC regularly because most of my TV watching is when the rest of the house is asleep. It's also annoying to have to go back and figure out what someone said if I don't quite hear it the first time.

The main benefit is getting the "secret" background dialogue that comes up on the CC but you don't hear or maybe what a character was supposed to say in the script but didn't make it in the final shot.

CC for sports sucks though.

It basically sucks for anything live

I really like Comedians In Cars Getting Coffee and Seinfeld but I'm just not a fan of Jerry Seinfeld stand up. I tried watching the new one and ended up turning it off after a few minutes. I wanted to like it but just didn't.

Harlan Coben writes good stuff. See also "The Five" and "Safe". I'm going to start "The Stranger" tonight.

So I like The Stranger.
The Five was good up to the end. Feels like the writer got tired and just threw in the towel.
3 more episodes of Safe and you can tell Coben has a pretty consistent writing template: Infidelity, quarky neighbor, teenagers who are scared because they have a secret, kidnapping/missing person.

I really like Comedians In Cars Getting Coffee and Seinfeld but I'm just not a fan of Jerry Seinfeld stand up. I tried watching the new one and ended up turning it off after a few minutes. I wanted to like it but just didn't.

what's the deal with Jerry's stand-up ?

Same. His Netflix stand up a year or two ago was just ok. Comedians in Cars is great and he’s great in it.

Looking forward to the new Patton Oswalt special dropping tomorrow, filmed in Charlotte #incline

We saw him in Greenville earlier in the tour and there was some great material. He had a great bit about taking his kid to Denny's and then later during the crowdwork section it was revealed to him that the HQ is in Spartanburg, which was great. Could've gone to the taping but forgot to buy tickets on time.

Same. His Netflix stand up a year or two ago was just ok. Comedians in Cars is great and he’s great in it.

Generally, I agree; but he oversells the walking/talking/laughing street scenes. After the comedian is merely amusing in the car, he/she says something to Jerry in the walk/talk and he stops, throws his head back in laughter, and claps. "Wait, what was that? That is apparently the funniest thing said so far!"

We watched Waco over the weekend and really enjoyed it. Probably one of the first in a handful of major news stories I remember as a kid.

Watched Lobster last night with Colin Farrell and Rachel Weisz. My kind of humor, but it just didn't land with me.

I now pronounce as “King of the RomComs”... Kumail Nanjiani? Even if he’s not, he’s 2 for 2 in a genre I largely ignore. I just finished “Lovebirds” and it was pretty dang good fun.

actually found The Secret Life of Walter Mitty on TV the other day. I have only seen it once, so i was very happy watching it again. recommended!

S3 was very good. In some ways it was better than S1. There are countless call backs to other 80s films. Too numerous to list. That horrible Cory Hart album, which I inexplicably still have after nearly 35 years, has gotten as much play the last week as it has since 1985. The best thing about this season and most 80s thing about it perhaps is that they made Winona bangable again like she was in Beetlejuice and Heathers and into the 90s. So many ridiculous lapses in logic outside of the ridiculous plot line too, which are consistent with 80s flicks. Don’t know why people are complaining about Hopper. His character has always been kind of like that. It didn’t seem like a stretch to me.

I finally finished Stranger Things Season 3 and have no idea how anyone could hold this opinion. Season 3 was awful. God awful. The Russians were practically cartoon characters, the Russian complex apparently this complex secure compound and yet there was never any difficulty with it, the horrible teenage love spats (and that includes Hopper and Joyce) the over-emphasis on imagery, the lack of any real plot development around the Mind Flayer, the forced 80s nostalgia culminating in the singing of The Neverending Adventure. The whole thing was a chore. Season 1 involved almost no CGI and had a real sense of suspense, mystery, and terror throughout it. Season 2 took a few side stories but really nailed the ending. Both seasons 1 and 2 involved more development around the Upside Down. At a minimum, why were the Russians even trying to re-open the gate?

The over-empahsis on imagery really was strange in Season 3. Every episode involved these super contrasty visuals - the ice cream uniforms, the life guard and pool visuals, the July 4th celebration. Interesting, compelling plot went totally out the window.

Sort of liking the Great on Hulu. Could do without the hourlong episodes but it is mostly cleverish and humorous. Eventually want the few things I remember from history class to happen already, but that is just so they aren’t building up something that everybody knows is going to happen.

The Great is a lot of fun, yeah. I was a big fan of The Favourite, and there are a lot of similarities here.

Back