• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chicago Cubs Thread - Playoff Push Pending

Good to know he didn't succeed. Heart attacks can interfere with your life.

Hendricks pitched five perfect innings in his start at Tennessee tonight. If there are no ill effects he'll start this weekend against the Cards.

If possible I'd love to add Gray (stating the obvious).

Not entirely sure who odd man out would be from the rotation or if we would go six starters for a bit but Lester-Quintana-Gray-Arrieta-Hendricks (and I'd prefer to just nix Lackey although I doubt that happens) would be a solid rotation

If possible I'd love to add Gray (stating the obvious).

Not entirely sure who odd man out would be from the rotation or if we would go six starters for a bit but Lester-Quintana-Gray-Arrieta-Hendricks (and I'd prefer to just nix Lackey although I doubt that happens) would be a solid rotation

Cubs are reported in on everyone, saw Zach Britton yesterday - I'm just not sure how anything besides a minor deal gets done now. I mean, moving a middle infield piece seems possible, still, but unlikely - Baez and Russell both are underperforming and won't get their full value, Halp would catch a great return, but not sure I see that. We still have some prospects, but nothing to build a trade around unless we just go with the volume approach.

Cubs are reported in on everyone, saw Zach Britton yesterday - I'm just not sure how anything besides a minor deal gets done now. I mean, moving a middle infield piece seems possible, still, but unlikely - Baez and Russell both are underperforming and won't get their full value, Halp would catch a great return, but not sure I see that. We still have some prospects, but nothing to build a trade around unless we just go with the volume approach.

Who is our SS of the future if we trade Russell?

If Russell gets traded Baez would become the shortstop. Second base would be manned by Zobrist, Happ or LaStella.

Lackey activated from the DL and Eddie Butler optioned to Iowa.

All things considered, Butler did a decent job in the rotation. He has decent stuff but his lack of command limits his ability to use his pitches a effectively. I hope he can stay focused in Iowa and allow his time in Chicago to serve as motivation to improve his command and demonstrate he can effectively get through a lineup three times. He was better than I anticipated.

Montgomery, LaStella, Russell and Baez lead the Cubs to an 8-2 victory to sweep the series and the 6 game road trip. Improved play in every phase of the game and everyone is contributing. Only negative is a sprained pinkie finger incurred by Bryant attempting to steal third. He is day to day. Next is to return home for three against the Cards

Headed back to Wrigley for the Diamondbacks series in the first week of August. Pumped.

Amazing what a little vacation (and a trade) can do

Last edited:
Watched the middle innings of today's game. Baez and Russell with back to back ground rule doubles. I assume that is a very rare occurance.

Nice little 6 game win streak, only two games back.

The central should be a fun and extremely frustrating race the rest of the way. Bucs looking good, Cards could be coming on.

The central should be a fun and extremely frustrating race the rest of the way. Bucs looking good, Cards could be coming on.

Agreed. Excited to be in Milwaukee next weekend to watch.

Should be fun for a bit. Cubs have more than half their games left against the division. Probably too optimistic given the way we've looked for large portions of the year but I still expect to win the division by 5+ games. I think the brewers have largely overperformed. We will see how they (or the Cards) are able to shore up in the trade market

You going to a game? Miller park is actually pretty fun - and will be like 80% cubs fans

Yeah, we have tickets for next Sunday.

Son and I are going to try a different stadium every year. Figured Miller Park was pretty nice and Milwaukee is a great place in the summer.

More worried about the Pirates than the Cards, their pitching staff is coming around and is capable. Though I think it's more likely we both make the playoffs than Pittsburgh beats us for one spot.

Don't see it with StL -- their team just screams meh to me

Bro we have so many #assets. And this has always been my most realistic shot at a championship.

As a 15 year old I swore an oath to our Norse gods that if Wake basketball/football, the Cubs, or the USMNT ever won it all that I'd set a car on fire. 13 years later I'm still committed to this goal. Of course I'd just buy a super shitty used car and just burn that.

You have the Norse gods to appease as well. Cubs don't need any bad mojo.

You have the Norse gods to appease as well. Cubs don't need any bad mojo.

Oh yeah that will definitely need to happen when the GF is out of town.

3-2 Good Guys in the top of the 8th over the #bestfans. However the Cards have two on, no outs and our dude Dex up.

Back