• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Tennis

Don’t see how you argue anything else
- tied (for now) for most slams
- only player with 2 wins at all 4 slams
- only player with a win at all masters 1000 series (and he has 2 at each)
- most career weeks at number 1
- career head to head over roger and rafa

And I’d also throw in:
- best Rafa twice at RG / hardest thing to do in sports
- came back from match points down to Roger in a Wimbledon final
- played the majority of his career in front of crowds cheering for the other guy

I think he’s probably got 2-3 solid years to chase calendar slam (or even golden slam this year), Serena’s 23 open era record, and Court’s 24 all time record

No argument from me. He's the GOAT for all the reasons you laid out. He's by far my least favorite of the big 3, but he's the best.

Roger was untouchable when I was a teenager and the athlete I looked up to the most. It's really weird for me to acknowledge that Djokovic is better, but the facts are the facts.

the only arguments against Djok are off the court — Rafa and Fed did more to expand the game globally

but when talking about the actual play of game, Djok could retire today and he’s best

If Joker stays healthy, think he's got at least 5 more. Beginning with his 2018 Wimbledon title, Joker has won 8 of the last 12 majors. Of the 4 he didn't win, he was defaulted for hitting a lineswoman with a ball in the 2020 US Open, he lost the French Open twice (once to Nadal and once to Theim), and he had an inexplicable straight set loss to Stan Warwinka in the 4th round of the 2019 US Open, as his only bad loss over a stretch of 12 majors and 77 matches. During that time, Joker's record in majors is 73-4 which includes a default. Crazy.

At some point, he's gotta start showing he's in his mid-30s, though. Right? Right?!?!

If Joker stays healthy, think he's got at least 5 more. Beginning with his 2018 Wimbledon title, Joker has won 8 of the last 12 majors. Of the 4 he didn't win, he was defaulted for hitting a lineswoman with a ball in the 2020 US Open, he lost the French Open twice (once to Nadal and once to Theim), and he had an inexplicable straight set loss to Stan Warwinka in the 4th round of the 2019 US Open, as his only bad loss over a stretch of 12 majors and 77 matches. During that time, Joker's record in majors is 73-4 which includes a default. Crazy.

I don't think it's unreasonable to think he has 10 more. If he wins 3 of the next 5 (Probably a low estimate) and continues playing well for 2-3 years after next who knows.

I don't think it's unreasonable to think he has 10 more. If he wins 3 of the next 5 (Probably a low estimate) and continues playing well for 2-3 years after next who knows.

That’d mean he’d be on 23 at the end of the season during which he turned 35. 7 GSs at 35+ seems unrealistic even for how the guys seem to defy time.

Winston-Salem Open starts tomorrow. Good line-up, if it holds, with Kyrgios, Tiafoe, Goffin, Carreno Busta, Cilic, Andy Murray, etc. Looking forward to it!

Kyrgios v Murray in the first round is going to be something.

Kyrgios v Murray in the first round is going to be something.

Great matchup, but disappointing they play each other in the first round. To the casual fan, they're probably the two biggest names in the tournament, and one of them will be out early. I assume that's just luck of the draw.

Great matchup, but disappointing they play each other in the first round. To the casual fan, they're probably the two biggest names in the tournament, and one of them will be out early. I assume that's just luck of the draw.

Yeah, it would be nice for both of them to advance far in the tourney. But it will be quite the match to start things off!

Noah Rubin and Eduardo Nava in qualifying tomorrow.

Love Kyrgios, but he's played like crap this year. His ranking has plummeted to 81. In the 3 US tourneys since Wimbledon, Nick is 1-3 making it out of the first round once.

Well, that was interesting. The WS Open sold out for Krygios vs Murray first round. 5 minutes before the 7 pm match, Krygios withdraws. This was particularly curious because at 5 PM Krygios was hitting with Wake player Philo Moroni.

So the tournaments scrambles and gives a lucky loser slot to Noah Rubin who had just completed a three sat marathon match in which he had a match point. So an hour later Rubin plays Murray and can barely move and loses 6-2, 6-0. But good for Rubin for competing and taking the spot and giving the fans a chance to watch Murray.

Well, that was interesting. The WS Open sold out for Krygios vs Murray first round. 5 minutes before the 7 pm match, Krygios withdraws. This was particularly curious because at 5 PM Krygios was hitting with Wake player Philo Moroni.

So the tournaments scrambles and gives a lucky loser slot to Noah Rubin who had just completed a three sat marathon match in which he had a match point. So an hour later Rubin plays Murray and can barely move and loses 6-2, 6-0. But good for Rubin for competing and taking the spot and giving the fans a chance to watch Murray.

Was there an NBA summer league game at 7 pm?

Good question. Krygios did do a livestream press conference to answer questions about his withdrawal, while wearing a Wake Forest hoodie.

I read that Noah did not get paid for playing in the first round. I can understand why he was ticked. I was not there but I assume he was a big draw for the qualifiers, bringing a larger than typical crowd. And even though he had no gas left to play Murray, he bailed out the Tourney by playing when the big time player pulled in the last hour.

He brought in more spectators and enthusiasm than usual but did not get rewarded for it,

That's not right if Noah Rubin didn't get first round money for playing Murray. The event needed Rubin to play as Murray needed an opponent for the marquis match. It's not like the tournament gave fans their money back after Kyrgios pulled out. So shortsighted and cheap if true.

That's not right if Noah Rubin didn't get first round money for playing Murray. The event needed Rubin to play as Murray needed an opponent for the marquis match. It's not like the tournament gave fans their money back after Kyrgios pulled out. So shortsighted and cheap if true.

This is the standard approach for the ATP in regards to lucky losers. I think it's a bad approach, but this is how the ATP rules are written. To make matters worse, the lucky losers that passed on playing Murray Sunday night have now accepted spots in the tourney after others have had to drop out.

There is some good news, though. Nava is back in the tourney, so he'll get more experience. Also, Rubin has, rightfully, received a ton of good press for filling in and saving the day.

https://twitter.com/WSOpen/status/1429998757060517894?s=20

https://twitter.com/Noahrubin33/status/1429633634231889922?s=20

Back