• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Tennis

Fed is in trouble down 2 sets to 1 in the first round. RF has not lost in the first round in Wimbledon since 2002. Hasn't lost in a first round in any major since 2003. His record at Wimbledon before the quarters since 2002 is 61-1.

Update: Fed's opponent Adrian Mannarino retired after the 4th set. Fed survives. Guessing his medical situation must have been severe because Mannarino was a set away from the greatest moment in his career.

Last edited:
Mannarino’s left foot slipped causing a right knee injury.

He was able to walk ok but couldn’t really move on the court or serve. He hobbled through losing the 4th set and barely started the 5th before withdrawing.

Federer was regaining composure and looking like he could finish with a win before Mannnarino got hurt but who knows??

Federer definitely going to have to play better in order to keep advancing.

Give credit to 41-year-old and five-time Wimbledon champ Venus Williams for continuing to gut it out as an unseeded player. Venus has won 10 career major wins, including the career grand slam; she also has won 5 Olympic golds. She has earned over $40 million in prize money, and millions more in endorsements. She hasn't made it past the third round in any major since 2017. She is now ranked #111 in the world. Her matches are no longer high profile; they are played on side courts against up and comers, in front of friends and family. Most of the world doesn't even bother to notice. Today, unseeded Venus won a 3 set match against a Romanian no-name to advance to her 20th 2nd round Wimbledon Ladies Singles match. She first advanced to the 2nd round at Wimbledon in 1998.

Athletes often say they will keep playing for the love of the sport until "they rip the uniform off my back", but few really have the courage to keep competing when they are weaker and older, fearing that they will tarnish their legacy and embarrass themselves. Apparently, Venus still likes to play high level tennis and keeps grinding when most people take the easier road. Kudos.

Give credit to 41-year-old and five-time Wimbledon champ Venus Williams for continuing to gut it out as an unseeded player. Venus has won 10 career major wins, including the career grand slam; she also has won 5 Olympic golds. She has earned over $40 million in prize money, and millions more in endorsements. She hasn't made it past the third round in any major since 2017. She is now ranked #111 in the world. Her matches are no longer high profile; they are played on side courts against up and comers, in front of friends and family. Most of the world doesn't even bother to notice. Today, unseeded Venus won a 3 set match against a Romanian no-name to advance to her 20th 2nd round Wimbledon Ladies Singles match. She first advanced to the 2nd round at Wimbledon in 1998.

Athletes often say they will keep playing for the love of the sport until "they rip the uniform off my back", but few really have the courage to keep competing when they are weaker and older, fearing that they will tarnish their legacy and embarrass themselves. Apparently, Venus still likes to play high level tennis and keeps grinding when most people take the easier road. Kudos.

Sometimes I think that. Other times it seems sad that athletes have made all this money and all they can think to do is to stay in their sport. Like the super wealthy retired baseball player who spends the entire season in the studio. That’s an easy gig I guess, but I think I would want to do something else. It is a small number who do that and I suppose they love their sport. I just think I would spend my remaining years doing something else.

Good grief I can't believe she is 41, time sure does fly. It's easy to forget how good she was as it has been awhile since she was at her best and Serena's career has overshadowed Venus's.

Is there a pair of siblings in any sport who surpass Venus and Serena? Payton and Eli are the only ones I can think of who are close. Gasol brothers, Harbaugh brothers, Cheryl and Reggie Miller. But all fall short of Venus and Serena.

Well said

Is there a pair of siblings in any sport who surpass Venus and Serena? Payton and Eli are the only ones I can think of who are close. Gasol brothers, Harbaugh brothers, Cheryl and Reggie Miller. But all fall short of Venus and Serena.

Yeah, I sure can't think of any. Now the Korda's might take the cake for whole family. Sisters Nelly and Jessica ranked 1 and 5 on the LPGA tour, brother Sebastian top 50 in mens tennis, Father Petr Korda reached number 2 in the world in mens tennis and won Australian Open, Mother Regina was in the 1988 Olympics for tennis. Nelly, Jessica and Sebastian all in the Olympics this year.

Last edited:
Wow. The Kordas are definitely worth keeping an eye on.

Back